Branson MO

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

caneguy
Guide

Branson MO

Post by caneguy »

Have rented a cabin in West Branson for the month of May and would appreciate any advise or recommendations on the trout fishing in the area. I will be wading. Thanks, Ray Thanks for the response, folks. I think it will be useful. I am a Missouri resident also and familiar with Branson and Taneycomo, but, was hoping for better insight and that is just what I got. Look for me on Crane Creek and the Little Red during May. By the way, this trip is my wifes idea!

Past Member
Guide

Branson MO

Post by Past Member »

The water on the Current River downstream from the Montauk Trout Park is very nice, good fish, wadable, and beautiful scenery, especially from the Baptist Campground Access on down. Otherwise, get a copy of: Fly Fishing for Trout in Missouri by Chuck Tyron. Amazon.com has copies
(www.amazon.com/Fishing-Tr...F8&s=books

Past Member
Guide

Branson MO

Post by Past Member »

Here's a good map:
currentrivercanoe.com/crmap.html

From the Baptist Camp Access down to Cedar Grove is good water.

Cheers.

gmflyfish
Bamboo Fanatic

Branson MO

Post by gmflyfish »

You can wade below the dam on Lake Taneycomo when they are not running water. You are also close to Crane Creek a wild trout stream in Missouri. It has the purist strain of Mc Cloud River Rainbow in the United States. Roaring River is just an hour drive from Branson .

Gregg

czkid
Administrator

Branson MO

Post by czkid »

Good Grief Man!!!

You are due north of the finest trout fishing in middle America!! Go south to Mountain Home, AR and the White and Norfolk rivers. Record trout of OVER 30 pounds on both the White and the Norfolk.

The best info is in Home Waters published by the Mid-South Fly Fishers, FFF of Memphis, TN. Copies available from Blue Ribbon Fly Shop in Mountain Home, AR (they've got a web site).

Beautiful area, great fishing.

Ralph
CZKid

joeadycus

Branson MO

Post by joeadycus »

Go to www.flyfishingarkansas.com, which has much information about trout fishing in Arkansas and on Lake Taneycomo ( a tailwater fishery at Branson ), as well as the North Fork of the White River, a beautiful free flowing wild trout river in Mo. The website also has a link to Blue Ribbon Flies in Mountain Home, Arkansas, which is owned by Dale Fulton, amost helpful fellow.
The website for Mid South Fly Fishers, the club which publishes Home Waters, is www.msff.org. The book can be ordered directly from them.

Drew Creek
Sport

Branson MO

Post by Drew Creek »

Cane Guy:
You have had excellent advice. The website is an excellent source of locations and "what's going on". I live within 2 to 3 hours of most of these. A bit farther from the Little Red.

Ralph has it right: Good grief. You will be within easy reach of 4 tailwaters on the White River. Beaver, Taneycomo, Bull Shoals and Norfork. Three are in Arkansas. Taneycome is just below Branson. Each is an individual bit of water. Also, a bit farther south is the Little Red River near Greers Ferry. Tailwaters to be sure, but Bull Shoals (White River) is a "long" tailwater -- many miles to explore. Trout from the dam on down to Buffalo City. Some very large trout in these waters. Add that to the streams in Missouri and the trout park called Roaring River just to the west of Branson and you'll have lots of water to explore. Its catch and release at RR now, but in a couple or three weeks its wide open to the public... very busy and interesting. The BWO are hatching now with cream and grey/black midges from 10 to 2 (usually) and lovely short rod stream. But, its a park.

Look for Cotter and Mountain Home on a good Arkansas road map. Trout Central. Stop in to see Dale Fulton at Blue Ribbon Flies or meet the guys at the Fly Shop on Hwy 62 in Cotter. Dale keeps a web site too and has a hatch chart. Excellent guides available catering to fly rodders out of Mountain Home, Cotter and Fayettevile and others. Last thing, just check out the state records for browns and bows in these waters. !-- :eek -->

DC

czkid
Administrator

Branson MO

Post by czkid »

DC;

I think we got his attention..............!-- :lol -->

See you for Sow Bug.

Ralph
CZKid

crcaddis
Guide

Branson MO

Post by crcaddis »

The Taneycomo, White, Norfork, L. Red and Beaver tailwaters are a favorite of many, but they are often crowded, and youll have to contend with unpredictable generation schedules. Give them a try when your in Branson, but if that type of fishing doesnt appeal to you head up to the Current, theres some good evening flights of caddis activity in May. Lots of wadeable smallmouth water in that area as well. Heres a couple links to get you started. Cheers.

www.mdc.mo.gov/fish/sport/trout/

www.mdc.mo.gov/fish/sport...mallmouth/

ozarkanglers.com/forums/

p222.ezboard.com/bflyfish...ndmissouri

Drew Creek
Sport

Branson MO

Post by Drew Creek »

Ralph:
LOL....
I plan on meeting Rev. Harry there too. Dave

czkid
Administrator

Branson MO

Post by czkid »

Dave;

I'm the tall guy with the white hair and big mustache sitting at Harry's table. If I'm not there I'm tying. The tall good looking blonde at Harry's table is my wife Basye. What can I say?

See you there!!!

Ralph!-- ;) -->
CZKid

tedgolden
Bamboo Fanatic

Branson MO

Post by tedgolden »

I'm a Missouri resident and I will offer that the Current River mentioned above is not exactly an easy commute from Branson. Crane is close, as are the White below Bull Shoals and the North Fork below the dam, both in N. Arkansas. There are two fly shops in Branson, both adequately stocked.

Fishing on Tannycomo is sort of unique as it it is crowded, full of amatuers and hoosiers, but tolerable if you can zone out that kind of thing. Lots of fish, that isn't a problem. Finding a place to park might be. Phil Lilly's web site, noted above is a good guide to the area.

Crane Creek, if there is enough water can be a jewel. Roaring River State Park is a put and take fishery with a daily tag required. Fish stocked daily and killed by most. Pretty place.

Dale Fulton in Mt. Home has a great fly shop (Blue Ribbon) and a guide service should you be interested. I'd guess it's a couple hour drive from Branson to Mt. Home. The Little Red is a couple more hours on the road. BTW, the roads, while paved ain't much.

Branson is quite a unique place. Not for everybody, but it does attract thousands of visitors who care nothing about the fishing. Most resturants are mediocre, with exceptions. The whole place is like Gatlinburg on steriods without the mountains.

czkid
Administrator

Branson MO

Post by czkid »

Drew;

Good description... I think you've covered things well. Now all he has to do is figure out what he wants to do....!-- :D -->

How was Chile?

Ralph
CZKid

tedgolden
Bamboo Fanatic

Branson MO

Post by tedgolden »

How was Chile?

Apenas otro día jodida en el paraíso!

ImageImageImageImage

Bueno!!!

czkid
Administrator

Branson MO

Post by czkid »

Linda!!!
CZKid

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Branson MO

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

Come out for a Branson DAY TRIP event planned for 4-27-21 - Missouri Meet # 1 - Lake Taneycomo Branson Missouri

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=136733

I've lined up a nice quiet place here in the Missouri Ozarks for a few hours of casting... for you and some friends...

To note : Dale Fulton of Blue Ribbon Arkansas has since passed... another fella I really liked... and still miss.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

I can guarantee with certainty the weather will not look like this.

That whole area is going to be pull up casting... just no snow...

The river is always fun to watch also... giants swim right into your field of vision faster here than anywhere on planet earth...

________________________________________________________________________________

4/20 History of Taneycomo update

A limited number of other salmonids have been released into Lake Taneycomo. Kokanee salmon,
Oncorhynchus nerka kennerlyi, were stocked from1963 to 1968. However, survival and return to the creel
were very poor. Steelhead trout (migratory strains of rainbow trout) from Michigan were released from
1971 to 1974. These stockings were discontinued because of the possibility of disease introductions.

I lifted that above from here : http://www.mtfa-springfield.org/wp-cont ... eycomo.pdf
Mike Kruse retired MDC Resource Science Chief and current President of the Mid Missouri Chapter of Trout Unlimited
Told me one time on Taneycomo to throw leeches. Big leeches. Ugly ones work best.
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Casting all day Tuesday at the pond. Come by and say Hello if you are around.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”