Jenkins

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Jenkins

Post by billems »

I'd like to hear from you casters who own a Jenkins 75. That's the 7 1/2 ft, 5wt, not the 756 4wt. I've owned 8-footers, and the 70L, but never cast the 75. I'm sure it has to be faster than the 8-footer. But any comments on casting and fishing that model would be appreciated. How would you rank it among your other rods?

Thanks.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Jenkins

Post by creakycane »

The Model 75's from Charlie were mostly oven-tempered, had self-made hardware and Payne style wraps. Most were 4/5 weight rods and have very pleasant Garrison tapers .

The Model 75's from Steve (with some work by Charlie early on) seemed to be a tad more powerful, decidedly DT-5's, maybe because Steve added the 756 for a 4 wt later on....... Wraps are usually untipped, flamed or blond, though a few Classic model rods were a tribute to the originals with the Payne style wraps.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

I'm checking one out. It's a Charlie, though a later one. Oven baked, which I prefer. Some claim its the best length and taper for Jenkins rods.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

If it’s 105, it’s a Steve rod with some work by Charlie. The clear wraps have a tendency to frost on that era.

scarlet>fire
Guide

Post by scarlet>fire »

I own one and love it. It will cast a 4 but I personally think it is sweeter with a 5. Cheers, Chris

McHull
Master Guide

Post by McHull »

Sorry for the high jack, but is there list or info somewhere describing the different Jenkins models?

Thanks
In the night I dreamed of trout-fishing - The Maine Woods - Henry David Thoreau

St Vrain Angler
Master Guide

Post by St Vrain Angler »

I'm not aware of any list, especially after Steve was on his own, but here are relevant pages from their 1998 catalog.*
Image Image Image

*Moderators: As an author, I'm sensitive to copyrights, but these photos are from a catalog offered publicly and without restrictions. However, if you consider them a violation of the law or Forum guidelines, please delete.
Last edited by St Vrain Angler on 09/01/21 11:59, edited 1 time in total.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

That 98 catalog is very representative of Steve’s rods; thanks for taking the time to post.....Later, Steve did wrap rods with clear thread, usually keeping a brown or dark red for the ferrules. He also offered agate strippers as an option, as well as upgraded guides. On some baked rods, the hardware was bright. Others it was blued. In addition, a couple of other models became standard:
GA756. 7’6” 2/2 4 wt
GA79 7’9” 2/2. 4/5 wt
The classic was not around that long after 98, and it sometimes came in a brass tube that is very heavy.......
FWIW, I have never had a Jenkins sans Nodes in my hands, in my recollection.
As far as 3 pc options, They never were crazy about doing 3 pcrs. The most common are the 70L, the 70 and the 80 done In 3 pc. I have seen a single 3pc example of a Model 75. I don’t think any 756’s or 79’s were issued in 3pcs, but an exception could exist! I’d be curious to hear if anyone has one.....

McHull
Master Guide

Post by McHull »

St Vrain Angler wrote:
09/01/21 10:36
I'm not aware of any list other, especially after Steve was on his own, but here are relevant pages from their 1998 catalog.*
Image Image Image

*Moderators: As an author, I'm sensitive to copyrights, but these photos are from a catalog offered publicly and without restrictions. However, if you consider them a violation of the law or Forum guidelines, please delete.
Thanks for taking the time St. Vrain!!
I've always heard great things about their rods and didn't know much about them.

Matt

St Vrain Angler
Master Guide

Post by St Vrain Angler »

As creakycane knows, Steve posted this on 09/06/08 under the topic "Jenkins 3/2 Rod Revival":

"Due to popular demand, I have decided to begin to reintroduce three piece rods to our line up with Dad's enthusiastic approval. I am starting with our very well accepted GA803 to begin with and plan to follow with other 3/2 models as I am confident that the action transfers well into this format. It is my hope that this will satisfy the increasing need of potential customers who prefer this rod configuration. Please continue to monitor our Cane Models page at www.jenkinsflyrods.com to see how things progress. Tight lines and many thanks to all who visit."
thread: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=17281&p=44692&hili ... ece#p44692

Here's my GA803. I like it as much as my Goodwin Granger 8040.

McHull
Master Guide

Post by McHull »

They are real beautys!
:skoal

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

I know all the cosmetics. I've just never cast a 75. My first rod was a GA-80-#75. That was in '95, I believe. It was a Steve, with near-clear wraps, and a copper colored bluing. It was my favorite rod ever. I prefer the oven baked to the flamed rods, which seemed a bit too fast for me. I saw #76 on Spinoza's site last year(see photo), and I would've snatched it up, had I had the scratch. They were still making the rods from pre-embargo cane at the time. I've owned around 4 or 5 Jenkins rods over the years, which may give you and idea of my fondness for them. It's funny, but I had friends that didn't like Jenkins rods. Oh, they never said anything. But they'd try my rod out and order one from someone else. I thought they were crazy. And I know there're loads of enthusiasts for Jenkins. If anyone can describe the casting on an over baked 75, I would appreciate it. https://www.spinozarods.com/collections ... -2-4-5wt-1

scarlet>fire
Guide

Post by scarlet>fire »

billems,
I own and fish one in my regular rotation. I only fish silk lines on my cane rods and dont consider myself any type of expert regarding anything. Just a trout bum that loves fishing bamboo and Jenkins rods. I own/have owned most of their models over the years.

To me, the 75 will cast a 4 wt, especially with a little longer cast, but is slightly under gunned. This rod is a little beefier than the 756 7.6" 4wt.

I personally feel like it loads better with a 5wt. The action is medium plus with some power.

All of this is subjective of course but I hope that this helps. If you have any other specific questions please let me know. Love the Jenkins rods so much.

Best,
Chris

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Nice looking 75. I would agree about the action.

The other rods that Jenkins produced were: a)the GA7096. It is a true 3 wt, lighter than the 70L and
B) the 80L, an 8’ rod more toward a 4 than a 5, though it makes for a nice 5 in close.

I don’t recall either being cataloged.

Steve produced a DVD of an interview with his Dad that I enjoyed, but haven’t seen it in years. Maybe it is out there on the net somewhere?

RymanType
Guide

Post by RymanType »

I never could fall in love with the flamed 75 I owned. Maybe was the difference in flamed vs baked versions? It seemed much faster than the 80. Tried multiple 4 and 5 lines on it.
IMO, the 80 is the best of the ones I have owned or cast (70, 75, 80), would love to own one. Have never cast the 79

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

agree that during the period when Steve offered both flamed and baked rods, the flamed rods were considerably more powerful feeling. The 75 is one rod where it seemed to push the rod into feeling a bit too much when flamed, IMO. I found, for my fishing, the 79 had similar characteristics. The oven baked 79 was capable enough, but much sweeter casting than the flamed version, based on head to head comparison in one man’s opinion.
That said, the flamed 70L in 2pc and 3 pc is perfect feeling to me. Same with the flamed 80. I have a lightly flamed 70 in 3 pc that I also treasure. Variety the spice. Not a lot different than Hunt vs Leonard Standard or Catskill. Nice that we have such choices.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Some years ago at the Colorado Cane Conclave, Ed Engle passed around one of Chuck Jenkin's rods for all to cast in his memory. Nobody made a better rod.

Jay Edwards

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

Can't swing it at this time, but Carmine Lisella at Jordan-Mills has an unfished 75, a Charlie. The best quality Jenkins, with the conical ring and the cap engraved with "The Jenkins Rod," written on it. Carmine sent pics and the rod is stunning. It's baked not flamed. $1550 for a new Jenkins is a great deal. I can't believe no one has snapped this baby up.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

billems wrote:
09/12/21 12:40
Can't swing it at this time, but Carmine Lisella at Jordan-Mills has an unfished 75, a Charlie. The best quality Jenkins, with the conical ring and the cap engraved with "The Jenkins Rod," written on it. Carmine sent pics and the rod is stunning. It's baked not flamed. $1550 for a new Jenkins is a great deal. I can't believe no one has snapped this baby up.
Those Classic models ( described in the catalog above) are very nice, involving elements of Charlie’s style and Payne style wraps and Steve’s finishing skill and very nice handwork. The Classic only has the s/n on the rod shaft, and The Jenkins name is on the buttcap. The signature model has Jenkins labeled on the cane. If one had to limit oneself to trout fishing only with various Jenkins cane rods, one could more than get by......now you have me thinking.....

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

By the way--having purchased three or four rods from Steve and Charlie, and getting to know them a bit over the years, I grew to love them. I still write Steve emails to keep in touch. He's had a tough run in recent years. Had to take a "real" job. Then his wife divorced him. Tough stuff. Steve lost Charlie, his preferred profession, his wife. Yikes. And we lost out on a maker of one of the best casting rods a fly fisher could ever own.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”