Which bamboo for big western trout?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

FiberGrass
Sport

Which bamboo for big western trout?

Post by FiberGrass »

Hi there,
I just returned from a trip to the Bighorn. Fishing was great and the trout were large - many in the 18-20" and strong! I was fishing glass most of the trip but had a chance to cast a Reams bamboo that a fellow angler was using, which was very nice. While my friends and I fish bamboo exclusively on our Driftless, Midwestern streams, we are hesitant to use bamboo on Western rivers where large trout abound. The Bighorn is perhaps a best example of that. We worry that those big fish are too much for the rods we use back home, which are primarily Leonards, FE Thomases, Paynes, etc. When I go out West, I use glass, my friends use graphite. However, I would really like to be able to use a bamboo rods out West. So my question to you - what bamboo rods do you commonly use on Western rivers with large trout? Thanks much!

FG

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Which bamboo for big western trout?

Post by PYochim »

Despite it being a 90 minute drive I don't fish the Bighorn much due to crowds. For nymph fishing from a boat I use a Winston BIIX. For wade fishing with dries I too use a rod by Jim Reams. I have taken trout up to 24" with it and it handles dries nicely. Per Brandin has one on his site. He's practically giving the rod away. The price is a steal for one of Jim's rods.

FiberGrass
Sport

Post by FiberGrass »

Yes, I should clarify that I am asking about rods for fishing dry flies to selective fish while wading. Thanks!

Prairie Drifter
Guide

Post by Prairie Drifter »

Stout 6 and 7wts.

North American & National Champion Taxidermist
Specializing in "Catch and Release" fish mounts

Custom Bamboo & fiberglass Rods

http://www.prairiedrifter.com

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

The Reams is a good rod for dry flies, or anything else.

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

I have a 8'4" and 7'4" Walton Powell Companion rod in 3 piece it handles 5/6/7 weight lines perfectly and it works just fine with large and medium sized trout. I have an 8'3" Thramer Gillum taper 5wt handles a 6 too, that would handle any fish you would encounter on that water too.
Bamboo is some pretty tough stuff and doesn't need to be babied all that much, sometimes they take a set, live with it.

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

For the kind of fishing you're taliking about - dry flies to selective trout on big water - you definitely don't need a 6 or 7 wt. Maybe a 6 wt if conditions are very windy. Otherwise an 8 1/2' 5 wt. is just about ideal, though there are some very nice 8'3" rods that would do just fine. I'd go for a medium-fast action rod designed by a western maker for western conditions. A fairly long medium-fast rod for al ight line like a 4 or 5 definitely favors a hollow rod. There are fair number of makers of such rods these days and they come at various price points.

NeoshoMike

Post by NeoshoMike »

Out of curiosity, what glass rods do you use? I regularly fish a Chris Barclays 8’ 6wt glass rod and it is great on big water with big fish. I feel like it is very cane like and have thought of finding a cane rod with a similar action.

udiablo
Sport

Post by udiablo »

I have an 8 foot 6wt Winston (Twin Bridges era) that I use, except in boats where I take the graphite 9 foot Winston 5wt, or 9-6 6wt or 7wt (good rods seem to die in boats)

FiberGrass
Sport

Post by FiberGrass »

This time I used McFarland 7'9 4 weight Spruce Creek. I also like to use James Green 7'9 4 weight and 5 weight Heritage Series. I have no problem fishing out West with 4 weight lines, sometimes 5 weights. I like light line rods that can handle big fish on small dry flies. Glass can certainly do that but I am looking for something equivalent in bamboo.

owenscaddis
Master Guide

Post by owenscaddis »

I favor an 8 1/2 5 weight hollow built rod for the conditions you describe (e.g. Reams, Vance, Raine, Karstetter to name a few).

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, 8642, 9050

Jay Edwards

nativebrownie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by nativebrownie »

I don't get out West often, but 8642 was the only rod I took last trip. That 8642, Colorado Special, is perfect here for river smallies - they can be a handful...Envy you'all who can roam 8642 land at will...

para_adams
Master Guide

Post by para_adams »

Big water, big fish, great casting and handling 6 weight bamboo rods - check out Chris Carlin's rods. My personal favorite is an 8-1/2' six weight in his "LL" taper.

andre49
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by andre49 »

8' Heddon, 2f ferrule will work just fine.

imaterp02
Guide

Post by imaterp02 »

8.5 ft Phillipson 5 oz
8.5 ft Phillipson Dry Fly Special

flyfishermann1955
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishermann1955 »

+1 for the Phillipson Dry Fly Special.

You should consider an 8' Orvis Battenkill.

Tight Lines- Ken

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

imaterp02 wrote:
09/06/21 14:32
8.5 ft Phillipson 5 oz
8.5 ft Phillipson Dry Fly Special

Or any Granger 8642.

I also fish a lot of Granger 9050s and the lighter (5 5/8 oz.) 9-foot Phillipsons.

greyreefer5
Guide

Post by greyreefer5 »

Live in West Yellowstone. Fish Wes Jordan 6wt or Curt Elder 5 wt on the Madison daily

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PT48 »

I have fished the Madison a little bit. A lot of it involved partitioning the river into pockets and runs. This I did by wading out and getting myself into the best position to make a mostly short cast. This style of fishing could be done using most 5 or 6 weight bamboo rods. However, on the bigger pools, I made longer casts involving a reach mend to get a better drift. For this sort of fishing a rod around 9 feet gives a definite advantage (I used an Orvis Helios).

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”