Which bamboo for big western trout?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

PT48
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Which bamboo for big western trout?

Post by PT48 »

Nice looking rod Derald. What are the main construction features of the blank?

jimwright
Master Guide

Post by jimwright »

Teter has given you very good suggestions.

Sandan
Guide

Post by Sandan »

Big rivers, high water: Dickerson 8014 clone.
Big rivers, not so high water: Alan Kube 8'3" quad for a 5wt.
Smaller rivers, lower water: Sweetgrass Mantra, penta, 8' 4/5 wt.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

jimwright wrote:
09/13/21 08:21
Teter has given you very good suggestions.
+1!

Bill Phillipson really knew what he was dong

Doug K
Master Guide

Post by Doug K »

I've used SB 359 and 323 9' 6wts happily.
As others noted this is what Phillipson and Granger built their rods for.. couldn't go wrong with those.

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by LeeO »

I fish the same rods in MT that I do here in WV. This year I used a hollow built 8’ 6 weight that have been using for bass. Most of the time I use a modified 7613 taper
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

http://www.304rodcompany.com

CouleeCountryCane
Guide

Post by CouleeCountryCane »

Echoing what bluesjay says, above, along with teter, imaterp2, & andre49, regarding classic rods that are widely available. I've fished an A&F (Phillipson) Firehole all over Yellowstone, an 8642 on the Missouri, and a 9050 on North Platte.

Tom

chsparkman
Master Guide

Post by chsparkman »

I like 6-wts for big trout water. Dickerson 8014, 8615 (I made mine hollow and it is sweet) or 861711. I also like the Dickerson 901812 7-wt.
...as for us we pin our faith and fealty to the silk-wound PENTAGONAL rod cunningly yet simply devised of its FIVE subtle, individual triangular strips of cane throughout...

Holden, George Parker. (modified by me) Idyl of the Split Bamboo

Eddie Southgate
Master Guide

Post by Eddie Southgate »

Don't fish out west but if I went tomorrow I would carry my Art Weiler 212E and a couple of reels spooled with 6wt lines to match the fishing I intended to do. Also have a Leonard 51 and a Leonard 4099 1/2 that would work as well . The 51 is an 8 wt and the 4099 1/2 throws a 6 or 7 .
Wore out old rod junkie , WILL WORK FOR RODS .

JHolton
Sport

Post by JHolton »

I agree, there is no need to go with a really powerful rod. The rod below is a 7', 5 wt PHY Princess taper with a mortised grip. The big brown is from the Tongue River of Wyoming a few years back.
Jack

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

Jack ,what a lunker! And I’ll bet on the Tongue, you weren’t fighting crowds. Nice.

16pmd
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by 16pmd »

I think some of the differences in opinions are because "big rivers" in the West are not necessarily all fast, deep or brawling rivers. Places like the Henry's Fork, Missouri, Bighorn and others have slower moving and shallow water with hatches of small flies and fish much like large spring creeks. You don't need a 6 or 7 wt. to handle the large fish there, though you may want those heavier sticks for big flies, streamers, or bobbers and beadheads. There are certainly those big western rivers where big flies, long casts or lots of stuff at the end of your leader call for heavier rods, but it's a bit of a misapprehension to think you need a 6 or 7 wt. to fish the West - it all depends on where you fish.

sinbad

Post by sinbad »

I guide and fish on the Bighorn river. I’ve been guiding Robert Bolt for 15 years and discussed the need for a rod that could handle large fish,wind, long cast. He came up with the 8ft 3In rod he calls the Gude rod.like I said in a earlier post I have fished Hoppers, Green and Brown drakes, Baetis and midges with this Rod on the Fork and Bighorn.His workmanship is top notch and makes every component on the rod.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

One of the things about the bigger western waters, especially the three that Nelson mentioned is that there is a lot of water for the fish to run. I hooked a large rainbow on the North Platte a few weeks ago that had me to my backing in no time. I was able to land and release the fish quickly but I'm wondering if a reel with a better drag than my Hardy Perfect would have been in order. Maybe we should be talking reels as well..

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

I use Hardy Perfects to land 10 to 15 lb steelhead. Quickly. There's no reason to introduce disc-drag reels into the equation IMO (they belong on carbon fiber rods;-)

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”