Second Favorite Silk Line

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Second Favorite Silk Line

Post by billems »

I've never owned a silk line. But what I've been reading in posts about silk is that Phoenix lines are tops. I checked into it, and decided the price is beyond what i'm willing to pay. So, for all you cats who fish silk OTHER than Phoenix, tell me about your favorite silk at a lesser price than Phoenix. I have a friend who is a wizard at scoping out deals on Flea-Bay. He copped a next-to-new Phoenix for $80. I just know that I could camp on that site for ten years and never see a deal like that. The fates aint fond of me. So, what are your second choices?

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Re: Second Favorite Silk Line

Post by kevinhaney1 »

The cheapest option is to get a vintage silk line from eBay and refinish it your self. It's not that hard. Directions are here:
http://overmywaders.com/index.php?cleaningsilk.

Kevin
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

In reality, the other quality new silk lines aren't much less expensive than Phoenix. Other than getting lucky, or trying to go with a vintage line, you can buy a new Zhu line (made in China) and treat it like a vintage line....strip and start over. He used to sell them on eBay but I think he's only selling on Amazon now.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

I like Peche e soil or something to that effect that I picked up for about $150, I have Phoenix and JP Thebault as well but all in different weights so I can't do a head-to-head comparison.

Cheers,
Joe

fishbates
Master Guide

Post by fishbates »

Nylon braided, cheap, indestructible
Very good casters
And dirt cheap
Just picked up 6 new lines for $30
$5 each
The most Likly all need restored
But it’s a easy winter hobby
I can’t say how nice they are at casting

I love silk as well and have way too many
I think I’ve started a fly line collection ;(
Dave

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

NewUtahCaneAngler wrote:
09/14/21 14:03
I like Peche e soil
Peche a soie - "fish with silk"...

They do half lines (15 yds) for slightly more than half price. More than sufficient for small stream, close in fishing (at least that's my experience so far ;-) ).

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

kevinhaney1 wrote:
09/14/21 12:47
The cheapest option is to get a vintage silk line from eBay and refinish it your self. It's not that hard. Directions are here:
http://overmywaders.com/index.php?cleaningsilk.

Kevin
I agree, based on the easy refinishing of Cortland Ivanhoe and Kingfisher Eiderdown lines. It is an easy and satisfying task, though it takes a couple of weeks in warm weather to complete the re-varnishing.
I do warn that my HEH lines have very fine tapers and do not load five weight rods well. I consider them to be the equivalent of WF4 plastic lines.

Dwight
Guide

Post by Dwight »

I’ve had mixed luck refurbishing old silk lines as they often contain spots of rot that greatly weaken the line. Try Ian Moxon in England for a 90’ DT unfinished silk line and refinish it yourself. He’s a wonderful guy with whom to work. I have a beautiful DT5 of his curing in my backyard at the moment that I made with pure water washed linseed oil (Treehouse artist supply store). It will be more supple than a Phoenix.

jburnett

Post by jburnett »

Try Jaime at Zen Outfitters. I bought a 4 wt. from him last year - as I recall, about $100 less than a Phoenix. Excellent quality. He also sells half lines. The only drawback of a half line is that, if the line gets soaked and needs drying and re-treating, you can't switch ends as you can with a full line. So, hang it in the trees, have lunch or a cup of coffee and let it dry out.

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

+1 - Try Jaime at Zen Outfitters.

I have a Zhu line I got off of eBay unfinished and finished it myself. It's "okay", not good, just ok. It does cast like a silk but the texture, taper and feel are not in the league of Jaime's lines or Phoenix. I'm reluctant to recommend a Zhu line for fear that the wrong impression on silk lines may be the result. Zhu's finished lines are terrible in my opinion.

I have a Phoenix and a Pêche à Soie also and Jaime's lines are just as good, cast extremely well, cost a little less and hand-made by a person on this forum...and he can customize the colors of the line to your liking.

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

jburnett wrote:
09/20/21 18:42
Try Jaime at Zen Outfitters. I bought a 4 wt. from him last year - as I recall, about $100 less than a Phoenix. Excellent quality. He also sells half lines. The only drawback of a half line is that, if the line gets soaked and needs drying and re-treating, you can't switch ends as you can with a full line. So, hang it in the trees, have lunch or a cup of coffee and let it dry out.
A Phoenix standard line (DT) is $203.95 right now from Bearsden. A full length Zen line from Jaime is $200 so not enough difference to sway anyone. Maybe the half line at $110 would work for him.

That's why I mentioned that pretty much all the other quality lines out there aren't really going to save enough money to make a difference.

A new Phoenix DT line went for $19 at auction on HiBid earlier today....auction house said no shipping :-[

scarlet>fire
Guide

Post by scarlet>fire »

I fish silk lines a lot and am not aware of a significantly less expensive one, other than someone selling one here lightly used maybe. Mine are all Phoenix or Zen Outfitters. I agree that purchasing a 1/2 line from Zen would be a less expensive option and I like the half line quite a bit for smaller streams, etc. Cheers and good luck with your search.

Best, Chris

Lanny
Sport

Post by Lanny »

Another vote for Zen. And you get to pick the colours.

I tried 2 different used lines from the auction site, both broke. So, finally I bought a vintage from Codella's and it is wonderful. If you buy vintage get it from a trusted site and save yourself wasted time and money.

Jeeper

Post by Jeeper »

It's not any cheaper, but each line is, in his words "Hand-Crafted Custom Silk Fly Lines" at Zen Outfitters.

https://www.zenoutfitters.com/

I have a 6wt Double Taper and really like it a lot and his leaders cast like a dream.

baughb
Guide

Post by baughb »

Piling on the praise for Zen lines. I have a 5wt that I have been using for two years and a 4wt on order. The 5wt performs so well for me that I use it a lot these days. Looking forward to the 4wt.
Curious as to why people insist on putting cost limits on gear opinions, considering most plastic lines are sneaking up to and surpassing the $100 point, $200 bucks for a line that could last me 20 years is well worth it. Good s#!t costs money. I like good s#!t.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

An old Kingfisher line recently sold for well over $200. Getting a custom silk line in your choice of color and weight for $200 seems like a good deal to me.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

As a member of the Great Unwashed, $200 amounts to a goodly amount of cash. I own bamboo rods, owing mostly to snatches of temporary good fortune. However, your suggestions are apt. I'll just have to set aside a bit until ready.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

I fished with a forum member (Oxbow) a few weeks ago and the topic of silk lines came up. Now I have a wild hair in my butt for one. We'll see.

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

PYochim wrote:
10/09/21 09:09
Now I have a wild hair in my butt...
Eh?

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

That’s an old Timey expression used to convey a desire that just won’t go away…
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”