Bamboo rod newbie- what should I expect?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Bamboo rod newbie- what should I expect?

Post by ibookje »

In that case a 6 weight would be the choice. Fortunately 6 weight bamboo rods are a lot more affordable than ‘dry fly rods’

kakaryan
Guide

Post by kakaryan »

ibookje wrote:
09/19/21 05:30
In that case a 6 weight would be the choice. Fortunately 6 weight bamboo rods are a lot more affordable than ‘dry fly rods’

Same line up from the same maker?
Or generally the 2nd hand rods popped up/ are able to be sourced these days?

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Bamboo rod newbie- what should I expect?

Post by ibookje »

Orvis bamboo made for a HCF (corresponds with a 7 weight rating) or a GBF (corresponds with an 8 weight rating). Orvis rods casts well with one or even two line sizes lighter.

Rods for these line weights are generally $150-250 cheaper than the lighter line weights. So think around $350-500 depending on condition

cappy
Guide

Post by cappy »

To the OP - It seems to me you will be only occasionally if not rarely be using a bamboo rod. Assuming i'm correct and you are accustomed to and prefer fast graphite, even moderate graphite is fast compared to most if not all bamboo. I recommend not rushing to purchase something, personally I don't think you will enjoy an older Orvis as they are on the slow side. I would look for a rod based on Per Brandin tapers or a Dickerson taper, especially a Dickerson 8014 or even better a Dickerson 8014 Guide which will cast just about anything from small dries to large streamers, and you shouldn't have to adjust your cast drastically to make a good enjoyable cast.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

What should you expect? Empty pockets.

In the film
Sport

Post by In the film »

Certainly give your friend’s ~3 weights a try, but you should continue to look for someone willing to let you test cast a number of rods in the weight in the range that you mentioned. I would personally lean toward a 6 if bass and streamers are in the mix. Keep in mind that a line weight (“6 weight”, for example) matched for bamboo is often lighter than that same line weight designed for modern fast graphite.

Your friend’s comparison of bamboo to a much heavier graphite rod misses the more relaxed casting dynamics of bamboo, among other things. However, you can see for yourself by casting some rods. hollow-made bamboo rods are also an option if weight is an issue.

Bill

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

cappy wrote:
09/19/21 07:18
To the OP - It seems to me you will be only occasionally if not rarely be using a bamboo rod. Assuming i'm correct and you are accustomed to and prefer fast graphite, even moderate graphite is fast compared to most if not all bamboo. I recommend not rushing to purchase something, personally I don't think you will enjoy an older Orvis as they are on the slow side. I would look for a rod based on Per Brandin tapers or a Dickerson taper, especially a Dickerson 8014 or even better a Dickerson 8014 Guide which will cast just about anything from small dries to large streamers, and you shouldn't have to adjust your cast drastically to make a good enjoyable cast.
I'm not being a wise guy here...I'd really like to know. Who makes, or made, a rod in those tapers that would sell for anywhere near the OP's ballpark budget?

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

+1 - Used Orvis rods are a great deal.

Be patient, slow the tempo down, enjoy your surroundings and you will be rewarded.

The only suggestion I would add is don't get a crappy bamboo rod. You don't have to spend thousands but a moderately priced Orvis in good condition (from a reputable seller/dealer) will be a great starter rod.

You'll get good advice here and no question is a stupid question. We won't steer you wrong here.

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

kakaryan wrote:
09/19/21 04:10
Those he has are all smaller rods (around 3wt 6~7ft). I expressed to him that I am thinking that I might want a 5/6wt ~8ft. His comment was that it might be heavy, like casting a 12wt graphite rod, that I might not like. ::) I am not sure, may have to try one first, and decide. Do you agree such comment? Having cast some 11 and 12wt graphite rod I think the rod itself is not heavy, the tiring part is false casting the heavy 11 and 12wt flyline in the air. It is the line causing tiring feeling.
My 8' #5 bamboo go-to rod weighs 129 g (4.55 ounce). I don't think that is heavy for a rod. I spent the whole week before last fishing it more than a couple hours every day (on the Semois river in southern Belgium) and didn't think it was tiring or cumbersome or whatever. Personally I think the emphasis on the lightness of graphite rods (and the weight of bamboo rods) is greatly exaggerated. Yes, graphite has certain advantages over bamboo, for certain types of fishing (or better: casting), but weight is not necessarily one of them. Plus, bamboo also has certain advantages over graphite...

cappy
Guide

Post by cappy »

G-ManBart wrote:
09/19/21 19:10
cappy wrote:
I'm not being a wise guy here...I'd really like to know. Who makes, or made, a rod in those tapers that would sell for anywhere near the OP's ballpark budget?
Sometimes you need to rethink the budget to get what you really need. That is why I said not to rush just to get something. Would be better to save and look for the right rod, or better yet order the right rod and put money aside until it's complete. Obviously he does not "need" the rod.
Anatole France

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

cappy wrote:
09/20/21 03:45
G-ManBart wrote:
cappy wrote:
Sometimes you need to rethink the budget to get what you really need. That is why I said not to rush just to get something. Would be better to save and look for the right rod, or better yet order the right rod and put money aside until it's complete. Obviously he does not "need" the rod.
That doesn't really answer the question. Are you saying there aren't options for new or used rods in those tapers that might reasonably be found around his "$800 or less" budget? If there are, it would probably help him out to know which names to look for...I'd love to know them as well.

The OP said he just got an $1,100 Saracione reel and has a pile of rods and reels from 3 to 12 weight....that suggests the budget might be more willingness than ability to pay, but maybe not.

cappy
Guide

Post by cappy »

G-ManBart wrote:
09/20/21 07:53
cappy wrote:
09/20/21 03:45
G-ManBart wrote:
cappy wrote:
That doesn't really answer the question. Are you saying there aren't options for new or used rods in those tapers that might reasonably be found around his "$800 or less" budget? If there are, it would probably help him out to know which names to look for...I'd love to know them as well.

The OP said he just got an $1,100 Saracione reel and has a pile of rods and reels from 3 to 12 weight....that suggests the budget might be more willingness than ability to pay, but maybe not.
I don't know. Everyone needs to do there own research. Lots of known, unknown builders out there and occasionally a surprise comes up. That being said, one needs to always be watching the sites where a rod may popup.
Anatole France

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

…and it all comes down to a South Bend 290.

kakaryan
Guide

Post by kakaryan »

Keep doing my research this week and I have some further questions, if you don't mind...

So my local waters are warm waters where no trout. For chasing trout I needa go travel. Fishing locally, in the fresh and brackish water, the bycatch carp could get pretty big sometimes around 1m. Blank material wise, would it be an abuse for bamboo? I know most people are fishing bamboo for trout only, and read that bamboo needs some extra care (otherwise the tip might be bent, etc...) Would I be better to stick with glass instead?

Comparing a 3pc to 2pc 8ft bamboo, would it add significant weight/tip heaviness ?

I read there is also an option of hollow build bamboo, which could reduce some weight. Again, sacrificing some strength I guess? Would it be not good for the occasional encountered big fish?

Cheers

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

1 m? That's a pretty monstrous carp - anywhere. But yes, specimen carp can be caught on bamboo very well, if the rod is designed for fish of that size. The fish that was the British record carp for 25 years or so - Clarissa, caught in Redmire Pool by Richard Walker on a rod of his own design - legend has it his famous Mark VI, but meticulous research suggests that he was somewhat cavalier with the truth and the fish was in fact caught on the much stouter Mk III - was caught with a bamboo rod. Mind you, not a fly rod... A fly rod that would handle a 1 m carp would have to be a 9-10 wt I assume...

kakaryan
Guide

Post by kakaryan »

Not lying....A mate caught this recently on his 3wt Sage MOD. :P Of course I am not suggesting to bring a knife to gun fight, but it could be done, with good tech and proper rod angle. Fight was about 25mins. Fish was released healthy. :skoal

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

BTW, that's not a carp. It is a grass carp (Ctenopharyngodon idella), a cyprinid fish not very closely related to 'true carp' (Cyprinus carpio). Just nitpicking - they also grow large - actually quicker than true carp - and are about as strong, pound for pound.

kakaryan
Guide

Post by kakaryan »

Thanks, good to know. I understand that "true carp" you are referring to would be more "fat" for its body length. :)

Per

Re: Bamboo rod newbie- what should I expect

Post by Per »

I come from a somewhat similar background myself, and is fairly new to cane. I stumbled into cane as a result of a remark made on my favourite graphite rod, a medium actioned 8 feet rod. Someone expressed the view it resembled a fine cane rod. Perfect, I thought, if I can have that package and add the aesthetics and traditions of cane, it would be fishing Nirvana.

My experience so far is a bit more complicated. So far, I’ve acquired cane rods that all deliver on the aesthetics. Their casting properties are markedly varied. One rod feels soft overall, and I’m still trying to figure out how to get the best out of it. Another rod has a soft upper half. A very gradual acceleration seems to be the trick to get the line up to speed. It takes practice to find out what separates a fairly good cast and a tailing loop. One is fairly stiff. Line can be accelerated by a short stroke, a powersnap and an aggressive haul without the cast falling to pieces. For this rod, casting is not notably different from any fairly firm graphite rod.

I live in a place where I can’t try before I buy. I have used this forum for general advice (thanks everyone), and conversations with the builders for the specifics. I have ended up with rods with markedly different personalities. While graphite rods also have different personalities, it’s like this aspect of rods is squared in the world of cane. I’ve learned to expect the unexpected. Perhaps surprises and adoptions is the fun? I can readily see a future with a small collection of rods, leaving real or imaginary gaps to be filled by new rods.
Last edited by Per on 09/26/21 15:05, edited 1 time in total.

Bill Terry
Guide

Post by Bill Terry »

I’m not a fan of short, light rods, even with graphite. I like to be able to make a long cast when I need to, and longer rods make that easier. Also, mending is easier with a longer rod. I like 8’ to 8 1/2’ bamboo rods in 5- and 6-wt. For fishing streamers, nymphs with weight on the leader, and large dry flies, I prefer a 6-wt. rod, whether bamboo or graphite. For really big, ugly streamers or throwing lots of weight on the leader, I go up to 7- or even 8-wt. graphite rods. I should qualify those statements by acknowledging that I don’t fish small streams much.

I think the kind of versatile rod you’re looking for should have some backbone. I’m not familiar with the older rods others have recommended that fit within your budget requirements, but some makers who build rods that would meet your performance requirements are Chris Carlin, William Abrams (his Dickerson clones), Mike Clark, and Andy Rubey. Andy is currently building an 8 1/2’ 3-pc 6-wt. rod for me that should do all the jobs you want your rod to do. And I’m on Mike’s waiting list for a 6-wt Gierach/Best Special Taper. These rods don’t fit your budget parameters, but the price is soon forgotten if you get a rod you love.
Ad piscatoribus sunt omnes res secundi.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”