What Sort of Fly Patterns Do You Avoid?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: What Sort of Fly Patterns Do You Avoid?

Post by GerardH »

I used to love nymphing but eventually that method fell out favor with me, despite being very proficient. Once I got into bamboo, I especially avoided beadheads and weight.

Now and again I'll resort to the dark arts, but only if everything else fails.

5Stringtrout
Sport

Post by 5Stringtrout »

Ones that I don't tie myself. Except for cork popping bugs.

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

I only swing streamers on "last ditch attempts." I fish dries 75% of the time, soft hackles and pheasant tail nymphs 20% and streamers that last 5% of my fishing time.

Pat
P.S. Part of my reasoning for my huge preference might well be that the majority of my family prefer dries and I tie all their flies. So, I guess they've "trained" me to use dries - since that's about all I tie nowadays - as my go to flies. :)

Drossi
Master Guide

Post by Drossi »

Squirmy wormies, mop flies, egg patterns. Might as well just fish with bait.

Cimarron
Guide

Post by Cimarron »

I have never, not once, fished an egg pattern. It's against my religion. That and foam. I fished a foam hopper this afternoon for some inexplicable reason and got a look but no take. I agree with the trout's better judgement.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

Reading this thread kind of reminds me of some threads on motorcycle forums. Many go on and on about the only motorcycle is a Harley and anyone riding a metric bike is a second class citizen. "I only fish dries...or soft hackle...or wet flies with no synthetics...eggs, foam, squirmy worms and mops are an abomination on the water". Like the guys one the bike board who say we all share the same wind in our face no matter what we ride we all can enjoy the fun of taking fish on a fly rod regardless of what is on the end of the tipper. To each his own, same wind in our face, same fish in the water.

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

On the motorcycle forum that you speak of and compare: how do they feel about those tricycles that seem to be gaining popularity? 😎

pszy22

Post by pszy22 »

I am a dry fly bigot. I enjoy casting a weightless fly, and enjoy the visual aspects of seeing a fish take the fly.

I will on a rare occasion fish a damp fly, just about always on a swing.

I do admire the skill folks have who fish other methods, I just choose to fish the way I most enjoy. I encourage everyone to fish the way that they enjoy, as long as it is legal. No right, no wrong. I like vanilla ice cream, I know others like chocolate, and a few even like strawberry.

RaspberryPatch
Guide

Post by RaspberryPatch »

It is about how you enjoy fishing.

I am not a nymph or french leader type of person, but my partner is. Buy she is not into streamers. So I tie what works for our waters, given how we fish, and neither of us are into numbers. So, I avoid

* Egg Patterns
* Flies base on plastics - I do use foam in some cases. For example Roman Moser's Ballon Caddis.
* Flies to small to see. I rely on my size 18 Stimulator and will use a short shank twisted extended body thread BWO on a 18, but do not tie smaller.

I am not into squirmy's, san juan wormss or mop flies. I am not into Wapsi's Select Craft Fur.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

Brooks wrote:
10/03/21 08:37
On the motorcycle forum that you speak of and compare: how do they feel about those tricycles that seem to be gaining popularity? 😎
That's a whole new subject Brooks. As the population of riders and in general is aging the attitude toward 3 wheels is also changing. I have a few friends who I could go back ten years and find posts making fun of trikes and saying they'd never wave at a guy on a trike (or sport bike). Now the standard 3 wheelers based on Harleys and Goldwings primarily with 2 tires in back are pretty much excepted in older age groups as a legitimate way to get out in the wind and ride in the group rides. Comparing that to the CanAm trike with the wheels in front these are still being dissed on most bike boards. The fact that many older couples who did not ride while kids were growing up and just looked with envy at us on nice days roaring around on two wheels are finding more time with kids gone and some extra money and many of the trike riders are either new riders or just didn't feel comfortable on two wheels and going to three.

In my case I had to give up riding a few years ago because of COPD attacks out of nowhere and crippling me instantly. Meds and various breathing exercises have gotten control of my breathing fairly well but smashing a femur made mounting a major problem. I bought a Honda Silverwind scooter which has a 600cc sportbike derived engine much easier for me to get on and off, automatic tranny and easily able to keep up with any group riders out there. This is joked about by some but the fact I'm able to get the wind back in my face and have a lot more area to ride in than my ATVs provided makes it work for me.

reelytrout
Master Guide

Post by reelytrout »

My “Do Not Fish” fly patterns (fly is stretching it, I consider them lures) include
The Worm ( especially squirmy)
The Mop
Lively legs
Egg

Bee
Master Guide

Post by Bee »

I will not fish a bead head on the bamboo rods.

Other than that I go with what works. As long as it is 95% of the time a surface fly. I fish a lot of foam because it works in the situations that call for it.

baughb
Guide

Post by baughb »

Streamers are my least favorite.

mac7x
Master Guide

Post by mac7x »

Having grown up with spinning rods and lures like Al's Goldfish and Roostertails, I actually enjoy fishing streamers. I avoid hackled flies like Catskill style dries on really light leaders, as they twist them badly, and anything smaller than 24, as I can't see to tie them on. I will on occasion fish a weighted nymph, but never under a bobber.

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

I enjoy fly fishing and will fish for multiple species in fresh and salt water. I am willing to use what works for a specific local species. If that means tieing on a rubber legged stone fly nymph on the Deschuetes, figuring out the right color/size bead for trout feeding on natural occurring salmon eggs, swinging an intruder for steelhead or tieing on a heavily weighted, dumbbell eyed streamer for saltwater, I will do it. What I avoid is using a fly that is to large/heavy for the rod I am fishing. For example, I'm not going to try and cast a big deer haired bass bug on a 3 wt.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

That Wooly Bugger with the propeller on the head. Forgot the name.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Pistol Petes?

Jay Edwards

mlarocco
Master Guide

Post by mlarocco »

I recall growing up fly rod versions of the flatfish, jitterbug and hula popper. Anybody ever try one of these?

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

bluesjay wrote:
10/15/21 19:22
Hi Guys, Pistol Petes?

Jay Edwards

Yeah,that's it. Pistol Pete. I used to call them Wooly buggers wearing a beanie copter.

RAZINGKANE
Guide

Post by RAZINGKANE »

Tricos. I hate fishing Tricos. I feel like I'm casting dryer lint into a whole bunch of other dryer lint.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”