Orvis Seven/Four Vs Alder Creek Kestrel

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Orvis Seven/Four Vs Alder Creek Kestrel

Post by G-ManBart »

Hi all,

I loosely follow a few auction sites (estate auctions) for a couple of my interests and sometimes I get lucky...this time I did twice.

At the end of July I went to an estate auction and came home with an Alder Creek Kestrel which is a 7ft 4-5wt rod based on a Payne 98 that Ron Barch describes as crisp/fast. I haven't had a chance to fish it yet, but I've lawn cast it quite a bit and I'm more than pleased. There are a number of places I've fished in the past where I know this would be a wonderful choice and I have plans to go back to them, so that all works nicely.

Then a couple of weeks ago I stumbled on a listing for an auction in Maine. I saw they had some nice fly fishing stuff, including a beautiful Orvis Seven/Four with a CFO III. This auction was only in person, but they allow for absentee bids, so I went that route. Surprisingly I got the Seven/Four but it'll be a week or two before it gets here. Going off memory it's around a 1999 production...black tube, wood reel seat, etc.

I certainly won't complain if I wind up with two similar rods, but I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas and thought maybe somebody can comment on any similarities/differences. Has anybody cast both rods or maybe another Payne 98 clone to compare?

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Orvis Seven/Four Vs Alder Creek Kestrel

Post by Shrimpman »

Christmas came early for you!

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

Shrimpman wrote:
10/08/21 20:37
Christmas came early for you!
Heck yeah it did!

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

The seven/four is a medium action rod, it is a very nice rod and a true 4 weight, so the rods are quite different.

Mister Bill
Master Guide

Post by Mister Bill »

Two different animals. I think I have had both of what you describe.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Crisp and fast would NEVER be used to describe the fabulous seven four taper. I hope that you enjoy both!

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

Thanks guys...I'm glad they'll be different!

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Oh I never ever compare Christmases, I love them all…wait a minute.

jvh
Master Guide

Post by jvh »

Hello
I have a 98 clone and a 7/4. The 98 is a nice 4 wt. with a stiffer butt/mid and light tip. The 7/4 has more flex in mid/butt, but for me it takes a 5 wt. to load it. Both are great rods. I like them both.
Have fun.
Vern

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

jvh wrote:
10/09/21 16:30
Hello
I have a 98 clone and a 7/4. The 98 is a nice 4 wt. with a stiffer butt/mid and light tip. The 7/4 has more flex in mid/butt, but for me it takes a 5 wt. to load it. Both are great rods. I like them both.
Have fun.
Vern
Thanks for the comparison! I found a few threads here where Ron Barch (Alder Creek Rods) said that there are a couple of slightly different variations of the 98 taper. He copied one he was able to cast in person and fell in love with...not sure where it falls in the spectrum, but I recall he described it as crisp and great with a 5wt or something along those lines. I'll have to try and find those threads and go over them again.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”