Blitzen River Rod Questions

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

TNriverB

Blitzen River Rod Questions

Post by TNriverB »

Good Day,

New guy with new questions. I recently acquired my 1st bamboo rod. It is a 7' 6" 4 weight.

Inscribed on the rod are Blitzen River Rod Company, "4" and Wildhorse. There is a date code on the tip section which I was told the rod was made in 2005.

The only 4wt line I had on hand was a Scientific Angler XPS DT. I know I'm knew to bamboo but I wasn't overly impressed with cast that line, for whatever reason (me likely) I couldn't get tight loops. I tried a 5wt XPS WF line and it cast wonderfully, though, even though it felt over so slightly overlined, but not bad.

My questions are twofold. A line recommendation, since XPS no longer exist, and any info about Blitzen River Rods, especially this one labeled "Wildhorse"

Than you advance.

Scott

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Blitzen River Rod Questions

Post by rsagebrush »

Is the XPS an overweight line? If the WF XPS cast wonderfully why not use that line?
Perhaps try a true to weight 4 weight line on the rod and see what you think.
I think the fellow that made the rod is a member of this forum, you might ask him for a suggestion.

Perry Palin
Master Guide

Post by Perry Palin »

Some cane rods like one brand of line, and some like another. Like rsagebrush, I would find the maker and ask for a recommendation. I tired my last 5wt acquisition with four different 5wt lines, and I liked best the one preferred by the rod maker.

tiptop
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by tiptop »

Chris McDowell is the builder of your rod and his company was called the Blitzen River Rod Co.. He learned and worked with A. J. Thramer a well-respected rod builder in Oregon, now retired. Chris took some time off from building cane rods during the last decade but he has resumed production in the last couple years. He is active on this forum and you should be able to contact him via PM to ask his advice on lines for your rod. His forum name is CMcDowell. I've owned a couple of his rods and his level of craftsmanship is very high. The rods I owned were accurately rated for line weight so I would suspect that your rod will like most 4 wt. lines that are more or less true to weight. Cortland Classic 444 "peach" lines are always a good bet. Scientific Anglers Frequency is a good relatively low cost line and well as their Frequency Boost which is a half line weight heavy and is similar to the Rio Gold.

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

Another option for a line that is true to weight would be the 406 lines...made by SA here in Michigan. I just bought their DT5 and have tried it on a couple of rods that tend to like a 5WT and I'm impressed.

https://406flylines.com

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

I devised the "stupid route" in my line selection; Cortland 444 dt Peach. I never had a rod it didn't like. I once liked Air Cell Supremes but they're kaput.

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

I believe the DT XPS lines tended to be on the light end of the scale. I put a 5 DT on a couple of rods and was not pleased with the casting, as it did not load them properly. Various other standard four weights did, including the 406 line.

Most rods will cast several lines well, but will really sing with one particular line. Try a few that friends have and see what feels good to you.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

TNriverB

Post by TNriverB »

406 ordered and received. I will try it out before week's end. Thanks

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”