Leather rod case?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

kakaryan
Guide

Leather rod case?

Post by kakaryan »

Any suggestion for makers and manufacturers for leather rod case?

Was looking at Etsy, some look good, some don't....

Thanks.

flyrodman
Master Guide

Re: Leather rod case?

Post by flyrodman »

Around 100 years old and still in very nice condition

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

flyrodman wrote:
10/13/21 09:06

hi, ritchie. that is a great rod case. would there be any difference between a rod case and a map case? i can differentiate the shotgun and cue stick cases.

regards, jim

gespliesste
Master Guide

Post by gespliesste »

[/quote]hi, ritchie. that is a great rod case. would there be any difference between a rod case and a map case? i can differentiate the shotgun and cue stick cases.

regards, jim
[/quote]

Weight?

flyrodman
Master Guide

Post by flyrodman »

gespliesste wrote:
10/13/21 11:45
hi, ritchie. that is a great rod case. would there be any difference between a rod case and a map case? i can differentiate the shotgun and cue stick cases.

regards, jim
[/quote]

Weight?
[/quote]
Jim, This rod case came from a friend of my dads, actually a customer Dan Ninde from Durham, NH and I purchased itfrom his daughter said it was passed down from her dad from her grandfather. It contained a early 9' Payne and a 8 1/2' Leonard. The Nindes were avid Atlantic Salmon fisherman as well as my dad and I.
No markings on it, may have came from D S & K Boston as they listed them in their late 1800s catalogs. Back than most people traveled by rail or coach and the rods were stored in these hard leather tubes for safekeeping. I have it for sale on The Angling Marketplace auction site right now

gespliesste; The case weighs 18 pounds empty

Richie

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

flyrodman wrote:

thanks again, i will try to follow the auction, it looks tricky :) .

later, jim

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Seabowisha Salmo T wrote:
10/13/21 13:36
flyrodman wrote:

thanks again, i will try to follow the auction, it looks tricky (confusing) :) .

later, jim

kakaryan
Guide

Post by kakaryan »

10/13/21 11:36

regards, jim
I looked at some good looking leather cases online then talked to seller and realized they are map/blueprint case. He told me they are made of 10oz leather which are sturdy but without a hard tube (PVC/Aluminium) inside.....I passed.

Do you think it could be used as rod case? He said they are sturdy enough which couldn't be bent.....

I think the lighter weight maybe a plus.....may work for a rail trip but not by air....

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Olaf Kundrus' cases listed in the first response appear to be heirloom quality that could be passes down for generations. His reel cases are of the same quality. If you only need one case, and can afford it, you might as well have the best.

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

kakaryan wrote:
10/14/21 02:25
10/13/21 11:36

regards, jim
I looked at some good looking leather cases online then talked to seller and realized they are map/blueprint case. He told me they are made of 10oz leather which are sturdy but without a hard tube (PVC/Aluminium) inside.....I passed.

Do you think it could be used as rod case? He said they are sturdy enough which couldn't be bent.....

I think the lighter weight maybe a plus.....may work for a rail trip but not by air....
hello, kakaroyan, i have several leather cases for one rod having no insert into which i can insert the rods own case.
regards, jim w

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”