Sunglasses

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Sunglasses

Post by billems »

I noticed this season having difficulty with tying blood knots and leaders. At first I chalked it up to age, but found I tied them better when I took off my fitover sunglasses, as well as my real ones. Distortion I what I'm talking about. I have bamboo rods and Hardy reels, but always fished with Fitovers and Cocoons over my glasses. I recently read the fine e-book, "The Trout and the Fly," by Peter Hayes and Don Stazicker. In it, they DEMAND you use top end sunglasses for accuracy in spotting trout, and improving casting accuracy. They believe a good pair of perscription polaroids is essential. I've not gone that route. I'd have to get mine in trifocal, which I'm sure costs a leg or two. Let's hear from the blind guys about their sunglasses. Suggestions welcomed.

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Sunglasses

Post by Eric Peper »

I have used Snith Action Optics for years in a bifocal (magnifier only) configuration. I chose them after going through a variety of high end polaroids including Maui Jim and Costa dek Nar, YMMV

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Prescription Maui Jim. Mine have the progressive refractive lenses. Not cheap but very high quality.

Mister Bill
Master Guide

Post by Mister Bill »

When you get a prescription, they make you read from a piece of paper.

That works for reading but not fishing.

Take in to your exam a small fly and a piece of tippet and go from there.

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

+1 for Smith Action Optics. I have the prescription glass lenses in brown polarized photochromic and the clarity is stunning. Mine are bi-focals since I don't like progressive lenses. They go darker when the sun is bright and lighter when dawn and dusk. They weren't cheap but they are amazing sun glasses.

Mister Bill's idea on taking a fly and tippet in when you get them fitted and ordered is a great idea!

Tie-Dye-Fly-Guy

Post by Tie-Dye-Fly-Guy »

I pay for rx sunglasses. I’m well into bifocal needs. I’m not sure that I can tie my #32 wicked pissa without taking glasses off and squinting or using magnifier. Certainly not in low light. But most of time I’m not needing the bifocal when fishing/sighting fish so I only rx my sunglasses to cover my nearsightedness. Glasses are important eye protection and they don’t scratch as easily when actually wearing them and not stuffed somewhere in tackle bag. I use wire wraparounds currently, but yes need safety strap on boat/water to keep from diving after them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, 4-5X readers on a string, and a wide variety of sunglasses. My favorites are an old pair of Orvis with glass lenses and a rose color that transmits lots of light.

Jay Edwards

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

I'm 56 and have never needed glasses, but discovered many years ago that removing polarized glasses before tying knots is a 100% improvement. Natural light and none of the polarizing affect have made a big difference, not to mention 50 years of knot tying practice...

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

Costa "sunrise silver" mirrors are my secret weapon for low light hatches and for bird hunting (that strobe-like tree shadow, open light, tree shadow stuff that makes it tricky for a lot of sunglasses). Great polarizers and the lighter yellow optics is really good for those hatches in the shadows and those early evening weird light scenarios.

I like the Costa green mirrors for bright days and ocean conditions.

mcflyfish
Guide

Post by mcflyfish »

Folks...I have a good pair of polarized bifocals that I rarely use because I found that when I was walking along the river....my vision would constantly be changing when looking at the ground ahead of me as my eyes went from the top to bottom portion of the lens...making it a bit difficult to judge exactly where obstacles were located.

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

I find that using flip focals or the like have solved this problem for me. They are realitively inexpensive and come in handy for many other things my aging eyes need asistance with. Do not get the highest powered ones. I find the 1.5 - 2.0's the best.

Peace,

Carl

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

I don't think that bifocals would aid in sight fishing. I carry a cheap pair of readers to tie knots and tippets on very small flies and small diameter line. I can't imagine wearing them when fishing, where you want unimpeded vision. Go with Smith Chroma Pops

Eddie Southgate
Master Guide

Post by Eddie Southgate »

3.75 readers for tying only , I normally wear 1.50 . I been wearing Polarized Wayfarers since the 70's , I have them in green and brown lenses .
Wore out old rod junkie , WILL WORK FOR RODS .

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

What does the little round icon with three dots on it signify on this thread? How did it get there?

Sandan
Guide

Post by Sandan »

Smith guide's choice Chromapop polarized copper w/ 2.5+ reader lenses. Also Rudy Project Rhydon's with 2.5 readers. One set of lenses is polar 3fx Blue mirrors, one set is polar 3 fx brown and for when the sun goes down a transparent lens. The interchangeable lenses on the Rudy's area boon for when regular shades are just too dark for tying in the evening.

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

I have moderate astigmatism and my prescription glasses have progressive lenses. I've using Cocoon fitovers for years and I have to agree you lose visual acuity -- I often take them off to tie smaller flies and especially if there isn't good contrasting light. For distance vision when I'm reading the water, watching my fly, etc. I do lose detail with those Cocoons -- you simply don't have the clarity. I have prescription sunglasses from my optometrist, but not one of the name brands...I prefer fitovers generally just for the ease of removing when I don't need sunglasses versus having to carry two pairs of prescription glasses. I also have flip-down magnifiers on the brim of my hat for fly tying.

FWIW, I carry VSP coverage and even with that, I'm paying over $400 for frames and lenses out of pocket.

pgwulf
Guide

Post by pgwulf »

For many years, I used Action Optics Rx glasses...after Doc Nassar sold the company, I tried Fisherman's Eyewear Guideline Rx glasses and then as my prescription changed and I required stronger bifocals, I used Smiths for about 5 years but the eyes changed and I required transition (lineless trifocals) lenses and low and behold, Costco provided me with polarized Rx transition lenses in frames that fit my XL face and I've been using them for 3 season (2 separate prescriptions).

My wife rotates between Maui Jims and Costa...but she doesn't require prescription lenses...-$$
"Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend...inside a dog, it's too dark to read!" Groucho Marx

alberta al
Master Guide

Post by alberta al »

I second PYochim’s choice of prescription Maui Jim sunglasses. I have them, and the are excellent.

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

billems wrote:
10/19/21 08:19
I noticed this season having difficulty with tying blood knots and leaders. At first I chalked it up to age, but found I tied them better when I took off my fitover sunglasses, as well as my real ones. Distortion I what I'm talking about. I have bamboo rods and Hardy reels, but always fished with Fitovers and Cocoons over my glasses. I recently read the fine e-book, "The Trout and the Fly," by Peter Hayes and Don Stazicker. In it, they DEMAND you use top end sunglasses for accuracy in spotting trout, and improving casting accuracy. They believe a good pair of perscription polaroids is essential. I've not gone that route. I'd have to get mine in trifocal, which I'm sure costs a leg or two. Let's hear from the blind guys about their sunglasses. Suggestions welcomed.
Buy a pair of LL Bean Vermont glacier glasses. Have the lenses custom ground for your tri focial prescription and polarized.
Had mine ground. The lenses are a large dia that works well for the tri focial ground.
Mine work brilliantly. If you want I can Suggest someone.
I want to be buried with my favorite rod.
I hear the Styx River has Fish.

m1911
Sport

Post by m1911 »

I've worn Maui Jim for more than 20 years, but would go straight to Randolph Glasses if I need to purchase more.
Wide variety of Aviator/Military styles with Bayonet Temple pieces, and of course lens colors and polarization.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”