Heddon Ferrule and Line size Accuracy?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

barebo
Master Guide

Heddon Ferrule and Line size Accuracy?

Post by barebo »

Heddon ferrule size is written on the butt of the rod. My question: is this a recommendation or are Heddon rods designed to be true to line designations within say a size up or down? I'm aware that a lot of Orvis rods will cast well going down a size or even 2. Seems most rods will go 1 up or down?
Additional question: a 9' Heddon marked as a 2-1/2F would be a 7 wt. How would it perform or frankly, would anyone here rate and line it with a 4 weight and be correct that it's the proper line for that ferrule size, taper, and length? When I questioned someone regarding this, they told me I needed to learn to cast if a rated 7 wt, didn't or wouldn't cast well for me with a 4 wt. as it was advertised for sale? Opinions welcomed.

flyfishermann1955
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Heddon Ferrule and Line size Accuracy?

Post by flyfishermann1955 »

During the Classic Era (1933-1938), Heddon rods were only marked with "Heddon" (in diagonal script) and Model number. During the Neo Classic Era (1939-1948), rods kept the diagonal "Heddon" and then "rod stats" were added in straight-line script. These stats included model #, rod length, ferrule size, and line recommendation. It looked like this: #14 - 8 1/2 - 2F - HDH or E.
During the Post Classic Era (1949-1956), the diagonal "Heddon" became straight-line and the rod model name (Black Beauty) was added (also straight-line). Rod stats remained unchanged from the Neo Classic Era.

Notice how the line recommendation shows 2 line sizes (HDH or E).

From Michael Sinclair's book, Heddon: The Rod With The Fighting Heart, here is some info about line sizes. The first size is for a "Tapered Line" and the second size is for a "Level Line". There is also this note from Heddon: "If in doubt as to which of the two lines to use, if nearly the same in weight, Heddon recommends the heavier. Heddon rods can stand the extra weight which makes casting easier."

For your other question, a 2 1/2F Heddon rod that is rated for a 7-weight (HCH) or 6-weight (HDH) is not going to cast well with a 4-weight line! If someone tries to sell you a 2 1/2F Heddon rod as a "4-weight rod"--run away, run away!

Tight Lines- Ken
Last edited by flyfishermann1955 on 10/22/21 05:05, edited 1 time in total.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

The rod in question is marked HCH or D. It looks like the restoration is very well done and upon inquiring about being sold as a 4 wt. the person called me a "Moron" etc. Very classy individual. I appreciate the Heddon designation info - always learning bits of rod history and other interesting subject matter here, so Thank you Ken! I've owned only 2 Heddon rods - one a model14 garage sale find, and a "Kingfisher" with all black wraps like a model17
Black Beauty. They were true to line size as marked and both were 2F and I fished a DT6 on them. Seeing the rod listed as a 4 weight peaked my interest and I didn't see any harm in inquiring.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Hopefully, the seller isn't a frequent contributor here as Ken has is right. A 2 1/2F won't cast a 4WT line. Perhaps the seller uses heavy spoons to help move the 4wt along? :rollin

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

I'm amazed (maybe I shouldn't be) that the seller would make such a claim if he or she knew anything about fly rods. I'm even more shocked that the seller would call you a moron for questioning the claim. We know that most rods can cast more than one line weight, and that modern lines don't always neatly line up with the lines that were in use when Heddon bamboo rods were being made.

barebo wrote:
10/21/21 16:28
The rod in question is marked HCH or D. It looks like the restoration is very well done and upon inquiring about being sold as a 4 wt. the person called me a "Moron" etc. Very classy individual. I appreciate the Heddon designation info - always learning bits of rod history and other interesting subject matter here, so Thank you Ken! I've owned only 2 Heddon rods - one a model14 garage sale find, and a "Kingfisher" with all black wraps like a model17
Black Beauty. They were true to line size as marked and both were 2F and I fished a DT6 on them. Seeing the rod listed as a 4 weight peaked my interest and I didn't see any harm in inquiring.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

teter wrote:
10/31/21 23:51
I'm amazed (maybe I shouldn't be) that the seller would make such a claim if he or she knew anything about fly rods. I'm even more shocked that the seller would call you a moron for questioning the claim. We know that most rods can cast more than one line weight, and that modern lines don't always neatly line up with the lines that were in use when Heddon bamboo rods were being made. But stretching a 7-weight into a 4-weight is farfetched.
Some years ago, I bought an 8'6 E.C. Powell that the seller rated as a 4-weight. I knew perfectly well that it wasn't, but the price was too good to pass up, even thought it was possibly a cut-down rod. I have fished it as a 7/8 since then and it is a powerful rod for big fish. I did try it with a 4-weight, just for an experiment, and the result was not surprising.

barebo wrote:
10/21/21 16:28

joep
Master Guide

Post by joep »

So many rods built in the past that were not labeled with a current line weight are not correctly described on the big auction site. If you know what you are looking for you can get a good deal but alot of the times the ones that don't describe it properly are the ones asking for 10K for an "antique".

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”