Questions About a Payne 204H

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

flyfishermann1955
Bamboo Fanatic

Questions About a Payne 204H

Post by flyfishermann1955 »

A long-time friend of mine has acquired a Payne rod. Tube is believed to be original, but without a label, Rod bag has a hang tag showing rod as a Model 204H and weight is listed as 5 1/4 oz. It has an uplocking reel seat with wood spacer. Writing on reel seat is just "Payne" and then "REG US PAT OFF" on a separate line (below Payne). Thread wraps are brown tipped with black on the guides. Hook keeper and male ferrules are wrapped brown, black, yellow, and purple.

I searched for some info about this rod or a Payne catalog, but didn't find either. Can you "Payne guys" help my friend learn more about his rod? What does the "H" mean? Can you help date this rod based on the wrap colors and reel seat markings? What are the ferrule sizes on a 204H (17 and 10)? Any other info would also be appreciated. Also, what would be your recommendation for a great vintage reel to pair with this rod?

It casts like a dream with a 5-weight line.

Thanks- Ken

flyty2
Master Guide

Re: Questions About a Payne 204H

Post by flyty2 »

What does the "H" mean
Check this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=552

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”