Profile of a bamboo fly fisherman

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

RSalar
Guide

Profile of a bamboo fly fisherman

Post by RSalar »

What do you think the profile of a typical bamboo fly rod fisherman is? In terms of age -- financial situation -- fishing experience/ skill level -- species targeted -- number of other fly rods -- does he or she buy collectable rods, have them made, or maybe they just inherited one and thought it would be fun to try it -- how dedicated are bamboo fly fishermen (on average) to only using bamboo? How many bamboo fly rods does he or she own? Describe the typical bamboo fly rod fisherman in general terms. If you are a maker -- then you know the profile of your customers -- I'd be very interested in what you have to say. But anyone can answer -- I'd like to hear all of your opinions. Thanks, Ron
Testimony is like an arrow shot from a long-bow; the force of it depends on the strength of the hand that draws it. Argument is like an arrow from a cross-bow, which has equal force though shot by a child.” Bacon.

SecondHandWolf
Guide

Re: Profile of a bamboo fly fisherman

Post by SecondHandWolf »

The factors you enumerate are IMHO not relevant. For literally centuries, a bamboo fly rod fisherman crosses all material factors. The relevant criteria are appreciation of the natural material, its connection/relation with the natural environment of the stream, and its mutual relationship with the fisher where each affects the other.

Best wishes,

Secondhandwolf (aka Mark Oldstrom)

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

HAIR COLOR
White
EYE COLOR
Brown
SPECIES
Human
NATIONALITY
German
STUDIO ORIGIN
Walt Disney Animation Studios
PERSONALITY
Grumpy, short-tempered, brave, rebellious, caring, sarcastic, rude, good-hearted, cross critical, gruff, suspicious, easily disgusted, grouchy, opposed to change, paranoid, bossy, serious, strict, moaner
ALIGNMENT
Neutral
LOVES/LIKES
Gooseberry pies, soup, women
HATES/DISLIKES
The Evil Queen, women (formerly), cleanliness, Doc's leadership, Dopey's antics, Bashful's shyness, Sneezy's sneezing, romance (formerly), not getting his way, being told what to do, Snow White in danger
GOAL
To rid the cottage of Snow White (formerly)
To protect Snow White from the Evil Queen

Tim Anderson
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tim Anderson »

I sure as heck hope I'm not typical.

Tim

Ear4
Master Guide

Post by Ear4 »

Brooks wrote:GENDER
Male
HAIR COLOR
White
EYE COLOR
Brown
SPECIES
Human
NATIONALITY
German
STUDIO ORIGIN
Walt Disney Animation Studios
PERSONALITY
Grumpy, short-tempered, brave, rebellious, caring, sarcastic, rude, good-hearted, cross critical, gruff, suspicious, easily disgusted, grouchy, opposed to change, paranoid, bossy, serious, strict, moaner
ALIGNMENT
Neutral
LOVES/LIKES
Gooseberry pies, soup, women
HATES/DISLIKES
The Evil Queen, women (formerly), cleanliness, Doc's leadership, Dopey's antics, Bashful's shyness, Sneezy's sneezing, romance (formerly), not getting his way, being told what to do, Snow White in danger
GOAL
To rid the cottage of Snow White (formerly)
To protect Snow White from the Evil Queen

Ha! That is hilarious. And oh so true!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

Wow...that is a loaded question from my perspective! That's like asking what kind of dog breed or ice cream flavor is the best? I'm going to be interested in the responses. I think the range is so broad, trying to narrow it down to "typical" is a daunting task and up for debate. Should be interesting!

RSalar
Guide

Post by RSalar »

barebo wrote:
10/23/21 15:57
Wow...that is a loaded question from my perspective! That's like asking what kind of dog breed or ice cream flavor is the best? I'm going to be interested in the responses. I think the range is so broad, trying to narrow it down to "typical" is a daunting task and up for debate. Should be interesting!
I don’t think it’s a loaded question. If I had to guess (with very limited actual knowledge) I’d say the person who fishes with bamboo fly rods would most likely be a well off male between the age of 55 and 75. He would most likely be a very experienced fly fisherman. He has matured past the stage of just trying to catch the most fish. He fishes for the pure joy of fishing. He appreciates nature and single malt scotches, fine cigars and good conversation. He travels to fish and stays at really nice lodges. He doesn’t need a guide but probably hires one anyway.

As far as his bamboo fly rods go — he has many. He probably has found a maker he likes and is a repeat customer. But I am probably totally wrong. Maybe most bamboo fly rods a purchased by young women while on spring break.

All kidding aside I’d really like to know the actual answer to my question.
Testimony is like an arrow shot from a long-bow; the force of it depends on the strength of the hand that draws it. Argument is like an arrow from a cross-bow, which has equal force though shot by a child.” Bacon.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

How can there be a singular answer to a question with infinite variables? I'm almost 66 and started fishing bamboo rods almost 40 years ago - newly married with barely a pot to pee in and starting a small family and restoring an 1850 farmhouse. I have enjoyed a few good cigars and like decent bourbon now and then but fish locally and have never been to a lodge. There are many like me I suspect, and far fewer of the stereotypical person that you so romantically portray. Horrocks-Ibbotson built hundreds of thousands of bamboo rods mostly priced and designed for the common blue collar man that wanted to get out and enjoy the pastime and hopefully eat his catch. I'm certain that there are those on this forum that fit your profile for the most part, but trying to pigeonhole those that fish and appreciate bamboo rods can't be resolved in a singular answer.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

Having said that, I'm not trying to derail your question but liken it to asking how many rocks are on the moon?
My bamboo collection consists of 9 rods if that can be considered "many". I know of folks with racks containing 50 plus. Others here have posted to owning 2?

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

[/quote]

I don’t think it’s a loaded question. If I had to guess (with very limited actual knowledge) I’d say the person who fishes with bamboo fly rods would most likely be a well off male between the age of 55 and 75. He would most likely be a very experienced fly fisherman. He has matured past the stage of just trying to catch the most fish. He fishes for the pure joy of fishing. He appreciates nature and single malt scotches, fine cigars and good conversation. He travels to fish and stays at really nice lodges. He doesn’t need a guide but probably hires one anyway.

As far as his bamboo fly rods go — he has many. He probably has found a maker he likes and is a repeat customer. But I am probably totally wrong. Maybe most bamboo fly rods a purchased by young women while on spring break.

All kidding aside I’d really like to know the actual answer to my question.
[/quote]

You have just described me pretty well, above. Once upon a time I was a fifteen year old poor schoolboy with one bamboo rod which I built myself, from blanks supplied by Olivers of Knebworth, because I could not afford to buy a finished bamboo rod.

Paul.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

In the mid-90s I was dead broke. I finally got a good check that was owed me, and I spent $900.00 on a Jenkins Fly Rod, and never regretted it. Drove an old Ford Granada, lived in a small apartment. Despite hard times, I had a first class fly rod that was the finest casting rod I'd ever tried. It brought much comfort and joy.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, This guy spends a LOT of time near the river. I'm not sure he fishes much anymore, but I'm sure he would fish bamboo. These are sad times for him.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/334884922288630694/

Jay Edwards

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

Processing the question...I keep circling back to the fact that it's going to be a long winter.

AlexP
Master Guide

Post by AlexP »

GerardH wrote:
10/24/21 15:51
Processing the question...I keep circling back to the fact that it's going to be a long winter.
Agree! Weather is still good Gerard, will hit one of the State Parks open in SE MN probably next weekend. Single father this weekend, so could not hit the stream. A little fishing and some tying will allow me to evade questions like this!

Tight Lines

Alex

GerardH
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GerardH »

AlexP wrote:
10/24/21 16:15
GerardH wrote:
10/24/21 15:51
Agree! Weather is still good Gerard, will hit one of the State Parks open in SE MN probably next weekend. Single father this weekend, so could not hit the stream. A little fishing and some tying will allow me to evade questions like this!

Tight Lines

Alex
I'm not much of a cold weather angler anymore -- especially with bamboo -- but a bluebird weekend might find me down there later this fall/winter. Best of luck!

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

We're older, settled, often retired. None of those fit me, ok, am older and remember The Beatles. Not retired either, hm it's on my mind, but I'm definitely more settled. As a group I think we're more thoughtful as individuals, appreciate a dram or a good Rioja, or an aged anejo. We like to sit around and eat. Who doesn't? But we seem to like our meals a lot. I've come across sad cases who I can tell really don't enjoy their food and the act of eating. That's terrible. As far as life, most of us don't push like we used to. Age, of course, has a lot to do with that. We don't mind a stop along the highway to read an historical marker, then gaze into the distance where wagons once rolled, wonder if we could have done that sort of thing, then think about the next stop to urinate.

This I do more and more. And I think most of us are familiar with the Getting old ain't for sissies saying. It's really true. I'm sad when an actor, rocker or a public figure like a Colin Powell passes too early (though in some cases they were right on time). By the way, rest to Jay Black of Jay and the Americans, who died just days ago if you hadn't heard. We seem to appreciate the handmade, and the care and attention to detail that goes into the creation of the cane rod. Details, details. The minutiae of it all fascinates us -- edges, silk wraps, guides, wood inserts, metals, finishes, down to bags and tubes -- then we flex and cast rods, and we go away somewhere. Maybe back to when there were tackle and hardware stores with guys who had spent their lives selling gear and tools, and dispensing free advice as part of the job. When a guy in a uni walked up with a holder of milk to deliver, clinking here and there. When youth were box boys, gas jockeys, soda jerks and Scouts. Or draftees for a crazy Asian war.

I think we like survivors, like Joni and even Tom Brady. Like ourselves, because if you've lived six or more decades, there have been bumps along the highway. So at this point, we appreciate

dshx
Master Guide

Post by dshx »

If I was forced to nominate a forum member for the most eloquent posts, it would be Flykuni hands-down.

-Dwight

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

I have no doubt there is no "typical" profile. I would think most of us appreciate the rivers and the wonder of Nature, and thus the wild material and the craft and work of many hands. Some of us truly live for bright water, and find there is no better way to connect to it, to enjoy it's fruits than through the golden arch of cane. Hopefully most appreciate friendship and solitude, though I have witnessed boorish stupidity carrying bamboo too, alas.

There was a post earlier this year about some magazine article on millennials buying up and fishing older bamboo fly rods. I am certain they must number in the tens worldwide. Certainly those would not fit your older, wealthier fantasy profile. Suffice to say that like people in general, bamboo anglers come from all quarters for many reasons. Lets hope we all learn to appreciate everything about the experience and enjoy!
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

RSalar
Guide

Post by RSalar »

I don't think I did a very good job asking the question and then I compounded the problem by jokingly describing myself as the typical bamboo rod fisherman. Let me put it a different way. Let's look at this from a marketing perspective -- you have been asked to help a small bamboo fly rod company market their fly rods. The company needs an advertising champagne. One of the first things that needs to be done is to determine the demographics of the audience the ads will designed to appeal to. A quick Google search produced this: "Demographics explain who makes up your audience and help you to segment your customers by individual characteristics and needs."

Here are some examples of demographic data and variables for consumers:

Age group
Ethnicity
Education level
Occupation
Employment status
Income level

Let's see if we can hone in on who these bamboo fly fishermen are by using a marketing perspective. Yes, maybe they bought their first rod when they were 20 years old and broke -- but I doubt that would be a great target market for a rod manufacturer. Who buys the most bamboo fly rods -- what is the demographics of that group?

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

RSalar wrote:
10/23/21 18:08
barebo wrote:
10/23/21 15:57

As far as his bamboo fly rods go — he has many. He probably has found a maker he likes and is a repeat customer.
I’d generally agree, with guys at the early end of your window still acquiring rods, while those toward the older end selling off. All except the guide part- most I know try to do it alone unless drift boat or regulations require assistance. Thought to be well-heeled, but may drive an old car and fish Paynes and Leonards.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”