Tiny Water Stalkers - what to enjoy besides the Boo?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

orange caddis
Guide

Re: Tiny Water Stalkers - what to enjoy besides the Boo?

Post by orange caddis »

nativebrownie wrote:
09/11/21 07:19
All of you, you do walk in beautiful places...
That’s the guiding principle of being a Tiny Water Stalker

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

Short Tip wrote:
09/08/21 13:26
Wow, such lovely photos and settings. Many thanks.

After 55 years of brook trout fishing here in the east, it seemed time to stop fishing all day on a ration of crushed Nabs, a granola bar and some warm water. Besides that, mountain trout fishing is essentially a solitary pursuit. Stopping for an elaborate cooked lunch enables my fishing pals and me to hang out and catch up in person, even while social distancing. So here are a few sylvan scenes of fishing and overeating.

A typical pool in the Rapidan:

We fired up the discada one cold day last winter. Slow fishing, hot lunch!

Getting ready for sausage gravy over biscuits and hot fresh coffee.

It didn't last long enough for a good picture!

We still take a little time out from eating to fish:

Nature's splendor:

We are often joined by friends, that is Rupert (Headwaters) on the left.

Michael Simon (Afgantrout), Charles Jackson, moi, Ed Engle, Shane Fletcher, Andy Holmaas.

A little more fishing:

Tea break!

Great photos. I keep forgetting NJ has fishable water. 😂
I want to be buried with my favorite rod.
I hear the Styx River has Fish.

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

red 1 wrote:
09/11/21 08:53

Great photos. I keep forgetting NJ has fishable water. 😂
It probably does, I'm not sure. i'm in VA.

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

Hey Paul. Wonderful photos. Thanks for posting!! Jed
Fefferfly

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

Some places water comes from below not above....

Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

Doug K
Master Guide

Post by Doug K »

Short Tip wrote:

After 55 years of brook trout fishing here in the east, it seemed time to stop fishing all day on a ration of crushed Nabs, a granola bar and some warm water. Besides that, mountain trout fishing is essentially a solitary pursuit. Stopping for an elaborate cooked lunch enables my fishing pals and me to hang out and catch up in person, even while social distancing. So here are a few sylvan scenes of fishing and overeating.
very nice.. I see 3 different vintage stoves, recognize two of them ;-)
still have an Optimus for backpacking, and a Coleman that's older than my son.. who just gave me a new enamelware percolator to use on the stove..

last weekend, ran a trail race which was much harder than I'd expected.

Won my age-group by default as there wasn't anyone else mad enough to sign up. Now I'm the proud owner of a new cowbell, and not just any cowbell - a Moen Norwegian brass cowbell, made from recycled Norwegian military shell casings..

afterwards drove up the road a bit, to the N Fork of the North branch of the creek, which made for some tiny water. The few miles of National Forest access had a couple of pullouts, with a fisherman's car in every one. Found a few hundred yards of open water, good enough for me. The fish were the usual gorgeous miniatures,

That's a SB 290, in bad need of a new varnish job. I patched up the reelseat and tip so that it's fishable, fish now and the refinish is for winter thinkings..
It's perfect for the little streams, exactly what I wanted. Most of the time it's throwing a 10ft tapered leader and a foot or so of flyline ;-)

McHull
Master Guide

Post by McHull »

Congrats on the cow bell and new percolator!!

Nice fish too!
In the night I dreamed of trout-fishing - The Maine Woods - Henry David Thoreau

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Photos taken yesterday while fishing a stream located on the east slope of Laurel Hill Mountain. I fish this one about every 4-5 years, but have only been on this low-gradient stretch near the valley floor a few times. Located in a wet woods, it's very different than most of places I fish--no rhododendron and mountain laurel, but it's home to a large variety of interesting fungus... :)

I visited this bridge on the drive home. It's suffered since the last time I was here; its roof braced with steel I-beams and poles. They take their covered bridges seriously in Somerset County, so I imagine it will get attention before long.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Simply wonderful post Greg, as are all the others in this great thread!

McHull
Master Guide

Post by McHull »

Looks like an all round great outing Greg.

Thanks for sharing!

ReelPatina
Guide

Post by ReelPatina »

Short Tip wrote:

A typical pool in the Rapidan:

We fired up the discada one cold day last winter. Slow fishing, hot lunch!

Getting ready for sausage gravy over biscuits and hot fresh coffee.

It didn't last long enough for a good picture!

Your cooking implements …Coleman 426 with oven, the Optimus 199 seen under the vintage Wear-Ever/Camet/ Revere -esque coffee percolator , and the Optimus 111…Just as classy and timeless as any bamboo rod in their own venue.

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

ReelPatina wrote:
10/02/21 00:57

Your cooking implements …Coleman 426 with oven, the Optimus 199 seen under the vintage Wear-Ever/Camet/ Revere -esque coffee percolator , and the Optimus 111…Just as classy and timeless as any bamboo rod in their own venue.
Thanks RP, you have figured out another mild obsession of mine. I've been accumulating these stoves and cooking gear since I was a teenager. I guess you could say I started becoming a "collector" 15 years or so ago. These guys did not help!: https://classiccampstoves.com/

I vastly prefer these stoves to propane appliances or the modern 50/50 gas stoves. No disposable can waste, operate in any weather for pennies, repairable and rebuildable, and just plain cool.

The stove in my last pic is an 8R, repainted. I do have a 111 though, love it! They don't have the safest pump but parts are easy to get and I rebuild it every couple of years.

Here's the 111B doing its thing alongside a Coleman "Lunar Lander". The Coleman was found with its matching Sigg Tourist kit.

Another Sigg Tourist, this one with a Svea 123 and the 199 standing by to simmer something. Happy cooking!

Lupalupa
Guide

Post by Lupalupa »

Greg Reynolds wrote:
09/14/21 16:26
I visited this bridge on the drive home. It's suffered since the last time I was here; its roof braced with steel I-beams and poles. They take their covered bridges seriously in Somerset County, so I imagine it will get attention before long.
I was driving through South Eastern Pa. fishing with my nephew, and he casually points out a sign for a covered bridge. Much to his surprise, I turn the truck around and head in that direction. My nephew is ribbing me the entire time why I would go out of my way for a bridge.

Well, after we get there take a picture and drive across it, he got it. I find covered bridges so interesting, and a tie to another time. If I am near one, I go to it, take a picture and drive across it every time.

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Lupalupa wrote:
10/02/21 09:30

I was driving through South Eastern Pa. fishing with my nephew, and he casually points out a sign for a covered bridge. Much to his surprise, I turn the truck around and head in that direction. My nephew is ribbing me the entire time why I would go out of my way for a bridge.

Well, after we get there take a picture and drive across it, he got it. I find covered bridges so interesting, and a tie to another time. If I am near one, I go to it, take a picture and drive across it every time.

Thanks for posting, that's a beautiful bridge...

I started visiting them while returning from fishing and got interested. Pennsylvania has more than any other state, and I've been to 42 of the ~200 so far. I'm planning to visit 9 more in Greene & Washington Counties next week.

I visited these in Washington County last week:

I use this to plan my tours:
http://pacoveredbridges.com/

This is more about barns (which I also love), but it's inexpensive and worth reading:
https://www.amazon.com/American-Barns-C ... 0486425614

Best,
Greg

Lupalupa
Guide

Post by Lupalupa »

Greg Reynolds wrote:
10/02/21 10:43

Thanks for posting, that's a beautiful bridge...

I started visiting them while returning from fishing and got interested. Pennsylvania has more than any other state, and I've been to 42 of the ~200 so far. I'm planning to visit 9 more in Greene & Washington Counties next week.

I visited these in Washington County last week:

I use this to plan my tours:
http://pacoveredbridges.com/

This is more about barns (which I also love), but it's inexpensive and worth reading:
https://www.amazon.com/American-Barns-C ... 0486425614

Best,
Greg
I am going to check out that site and book. I try to get to Pennsylvania several times a season to fish, enough to justify an annual license. I am going to plan on visiting the nearby covered bridges.

One further... Arlington Vermont

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Photos from an outing on a Laurel Highlands stream yesterday...

The drive:

The stream:
A sizable lycopsid fossil--they're common in these parts...

Driving home:

Lupalupa
Guide

Post by Lupalupa »

Greg Reynolds wrote:
10/21/21 10:34
Photos from an outing on a Laurel Highlands stream yesterday...
It looks to me like you had a very nice day. Enjoyed the Covered Bridge pics again.

McHull
Master Guide

Post by McHull »

Very nice way to spend a day.
Beautiful country

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

That 11 F Deluxe is sure getting some quality stream time!

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Thanks guys. Both bridges span Laurel Hill Creek, which drains the east slope of Laurel Hill Mountain. A third bridge crosses a few miles south. I fish this area quite a bit. It's a beautiful place to spend time.

The Deluxe is about the only rod I've fished this year. I'm going to put it up and fish a few others before things ice-up.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”