Tiny Water Stalkers - what to enjoy besides the Boo?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

catskilljohn
Master Guide

Post by catskilljohn »

You really hit home with this post! Without a doubt, small streams are where I spend 90% of my fishing time. With natural air conditioning, shadowy pools and ferns all around, they are some of the prettiest places. Here is one of mine, in my beloved Catskills...

Image CJ
Last edited by catskilljohn on 07/28/09 14:35, edited 1 time in total.

nativebrownie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by nativebrownie »

Well, I was out on an appointment with a quiet hollow yesterday - of course, the Monty was my company ...
Many images and thoughts of wonderful admiration here - real nice to share and connect ....

Steve, Excellent point - all the sustenance that matters might be at hand in the canopy - had me smiling...

Doug, OHHHHHH...Arranged and reflective in layers of what we all appreciate in tiny waters. Like so many here, you have a purity of wonder that so many have expressed here. Sorta like Ed's earlier comments on youthful wanderings.. And your sanctuary is not far from the busy, busy world it seems... beautiful ferns...OHH...

N C Brookie, appreciated very much ... So true - many fine moments expressed here...gotta be fun to appreciate and savor...

Catskilljohn, Whew... roaming the storied Catskills , you are a lucky one. That single leaf is striking as is that bountiful native. Now, if i could wonder at the Neversink headwaters one day with the Monty in hand - stuff of dreams?

NB
Last edited by nativebrownie on 07/29/09 07:53, edited 1 time in total.

nativebrownie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by nativebrownie »

Yesterday, i worked up an area that is smaller than my earlier post, but while tiny, is still open enough for some flip type casting. What a beautiful happening!! On a small headwater area within reasonable distance from the busy, busy Metro East, a 4 inch native brownie took an #18 beetle readily within the first mini-run and then almost immediately a long distance release with a twin in that same area. So gratifying and a quiet a victory that these stream born natives continue to thrive on within the shadows of the hustle and bustle. All's well....

A middle tiny native water:

A #22 gray mayfly with three perfectly forked tails:

The tradition and history of our magic wands is to be enjoyed in these beautiful settings, but the flies also add layers of quiet joy. Two of my tiny waters flies come out of the past. From Ovington's Tactics on Trout(1969) comes his mini-buck a #14-16 (standard wet fly hook)streamer tied with a floss ribbed with gold body (cemented for luster) and a sparse bear wing. Wonderfully simple and he is right - they like it for many reasons (fly on left). Then from Clapham's Trout Fishing on Hill Streams (1947), actually fishing in Becks as he calls them, comes the "only fly that he often uses" - a sparsely tied black spider - 2 thin tails (he's emphatic), black thread body with turns of thin wire, and one turn (he's doubly emphatic) of hackle (fly on right). They are both right in the hollows that I treasure - simply right...

Mr. Richard Clapham on a Beck...
Last edited by nativebrownie on 07/29/09 15:56, edited 1 time in total.

sharps4590
Master Guide

Post by sharps4590 »

What a bunch of beautiful picures of beautiful waters. Thanks to all of you. There are a couple in my area and I fish one occasionally. I don't always catch fish but do always have a wonderful time.

Vic
"In general, the art of government is to take as much money as possible from one class of citizens and give it to another class of citizens" Voltaire

There is no right way to do a wrong thing

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

Yeah, what Vic said! Really neat pics of special places and some cool little (and some not so little) fish.

I've been gone on an annual 2 wk family vac. to a northern lake where my main interest all have "teeth" (bass, pike and muskies) and I always have trouble getting back to these little streams. Don't know why but I do.

Posts like these help enormously. It's the "flavor"! All of it.

Thanks.

Jeremy.
I love clean, clear waters...

robcane
Guide

Post by robcane »

A few more Catskill headwaters photos:

Largest brookie I caught in Catskills trib... 15". AJ Thramer 7' 2/2 4 wt., Hardy Featherweight. I rarely keep trout but will admit we ate that one.

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

Under the surface,

Tumbling leaves tangle tippet--

Small trout grow heavy.

September is not so far away...
"Fly fishing is an art, but to become an artist, one must be a beginner." ~ E.C. Powell

sharps4590
Master Guide

Post by sharps4590 »

rob, that last set of pictures is mildly reminiscient of one of my favorite creeks here in the Ozarks.

Vic
"In general, the art of government is to take as much money as possible from one class of citizens and give it to another class of citizens" Voltaire

There is no right way to do a wrong thing

nativebrownie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by nativebrownie »

Sharps & the grubster - yes, great shots for all to enjoy and definitely a special "flavor..."

robcane - richly beautiful shots - wish I could wander in those headwaters - all 4 seasons...

cdmoore - more special "flavor" - nice!

Wandered today in another middle sized water that quickly becoms a close to tiny darkened hollow... the day started in a rather quiet and maybe deliciously predictable way:

Often, and I cannot explain it (that's OK sometimes with the important stuff), I carry a longer rod as the waters get tighter.

As I worked through the hollow, I noticed a good deal of fresh debris here and there. Chaulked it up to a thunder storm . But sometimes these small hollows have suprises around the bends, and Nature has a way of startling me - nicely so. I found a very large tree down, blocking the whole hollow as the walls get closer here. Freshly uprooted - a chill sounded its way through me - the power that wields here...
Then , around a bend or two, it was an area that stopped me standing still, looking ... In one area the canopy was just gone- gone - three very large trees were almost perfectly uprooted, splintered into various pieces, and were totally blocking the way almost arranged as by some design. Healthy and large trees just gathered up and then thrown down... I stood there for some time.

Was it a lightning strike? I saw no charring at all. Was it a small touch down? Amazingly compact.... The Power of it all has me wondering. Couldn't fish much after that...

Tiny waters are truly microcosms - so much to be enjoyed, watched, and savored...

Last edited by nativebrownie on 08/04/09 18:32, edited 1 time in total.

nativebrownie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by nativebrownie »

Just yesterday, walking up a hollow that is getting closer to tiny... not yet, but on the way (in other words traditional casting is still doable). This hollow is far best after a rain, or the slightest breath has them scurrying...

Smaller still... yet the beauty remains....

Last day of a vacation week (at least this vacation) - this morning, I learned , from a dear friend, of the passing along of someone I dearly respected - a fisher and truly gifted craftperson who walked and loved similar small waters - we shared the same geography - rolling Eastern mountains that treasure thin chutes and wild brookies.
He will be missed greatly - yet his craft, generousity, and photo journals left so much with so many.

The drive was a thoughtful one, yet visited very tiny waters today, just had to be - very close to my tiniest - alot of climbing, crouching, and rollicking as a dart every now and then did a grab and go - "Got 'em..."

Last edited by nativebrownie on 08/08/09 15:19, edited 1 time in total.

robcane
Guide

Post by robcane »

Catskill John shared one of his little Catskills tribs with me yesterday. And with all the wet weather we've had it was running ice cold and filled with lightning quick wild brookies and a few browns. Being the gracious host he is, CJ refused to even fish for the first half hour. He stood on the high, hemlock-lined bank and spotted fish for me in the clear pools. Now that is true friendship.

Later in the afternoon I tried to return the favor and show him one of my secret haunts but he begged off so I stole away there on my own. I'm sure I'll have the chance to give him a tour another day, maybe in the fall.

Here are a few photos:

CJ and brookie with the Model 50 he built (beautiful rod).

CJ forgot his wading shoes but still hooked a bunch of fish in the pockets and didn't even slip.

Deep little plunge pool, AJ Thramer 8' 3/2 5 wt. (I brought the wrong rod, meant to grab the 7' 4 wt.)

Another shot of plunge pool.

Head of pool.

Brookie showing some early spawning colors.

His lair.

hdrmd
Master Guide

Post by hdrmd »

I have looked at these photos three times; what a great topic/thread. DR

nativebrownie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by nativebrownie »

Robcane,
As usual, spectacular photography in spectacular places... additional thanks for letting us join in.
You have got it all figured out, imho - looks like way too much of a good thing - catskill beauty, great spirit, great friends, and brookies (even a 50 thrown in)...

hdrmd, thanks for the kind words from all of us... yes, seems like everyone wants to stir a fine stew with exceptional "flavor"...

robcane
Guide

Post by robcane »

Many thanks, NB.

One more for the road -- er -- I mean from the stream...

freestoner
Master Guide

Post by freestoner »

robcane, that is one stream that you should never, ever name or give directions to in a public forum.

I have hunch you know this already- just a reminder.

The photo entitled "another shot of plunge pool" is stunning. National Geographic quality.

robcane
Guide

Post by robcane »

Freestoner, You are absolutely correct about that. I threatened to blindfold CJ if I took him there and he's one of my best buddies. Very much appreciate the compliments. I have quite a little collection of Catskills photos and I think I might put together a calendar for 2010. I'll let you guys know if I can pull it together. All names of streams will be redacted, however. I'm going to have to use a blanket 'Northeast headwaters stream' description for many of the shots.
Rob

MJF
Sport

Post by MJF »

I spent Monday fishing a great little river. Lots of nice Brookies and small Browns. Very beautiful scenery, calm and tranquil. I fished with the first bamboo rod I have made. It was very special to catch such great little fish on my home made rod.

nativebrownie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by nativebrownie »

Robcane - now that shot really captures a beaut of a brookie...nice

MJF - you are right, beautiful scenery -must be nice. And, I wouldn't know, but it must be real special walking a spot like that with a split cane of one's own handiwork - yep - great stuff...congrats...

NB

BobB
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BobB »

MJF,

Now where would that beautiful stream be in Redondo Beach? Image

Enjoyed the pics, and as NB said, must be truly fulfilling catching sweet little browns on your first bamboo rod!!

Bob

Marty
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Marty »

Aside from a chance to break out a 7030 or 7633.....
And the chance to get some wild fish once you get up past the stockers...
There are the breaks in the trees for a plung pool.....
The Flora....
Sometimes a surprise big stocked bow way to high that obviously thought it was a salmon to make it up this far
And right near that plunge pool and miles of small water "not really worth fishing" HA A place I could love to live
Can you imagine walking about 50 Yds and casting dry flies to these...
Taking a friend from the club new to fly fishing for trout and working with him on the stalking and bang bang pocket water casting and seeing a grin like this when he catches his first mountain trout and yes the reel did fall off his rod while he was working her in....
Having a boulder postitioned just right so you can get a pic of a bow in a feeding lane....
Some of my favorite fishing and some of these small streams up high in TN have a food base that supports some amazing fish!!!
Last edited by Marty on 08/17/09 03:03, edited 1 time in total.
Marty's Rules of Fishing #7. Fishing only with store bought flies is like trying to talk to a pretty girl through an interpreter it works sort of …it will work far better if you learn the language and tie your own flies…more satisfying and more effective.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”