Tiny Water Stalkers - what to enjoy besides the Boo?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

nativebrownie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by nativebrownie »

Beautiful... is that of limestone quality?

thardy

Post by thardy »

No, it's more like red clay quality.

oldschoolcane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oldschoolcane »

With a little chert rock thrown in. Here in Missouri, you learn quickly to appreciate any clear water that's available.

Tim
Cedar Run Rods, rod-building & restoration.

robcane
Guide

Post by robcane »

Quick trip up to the hills yesterday. Fall colors in the Catskills seem a bit muted this year, maybe because of all the rain all summer long.

Still, the view beats the one out the office window, especially since I don't have a window anywhere near my desk.

I didn't do much in the headwaters yesterday, the water temp. barely hit 50.

Later in the day I headed downriver and hooked into a couple of these guys. Nice autumn day all around.

nativebrownie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by nativebrownie »

Rob,
Just a beautiful & historically rich area - and you add Fall colors - preciously nice...

Appreciate you sharing your , as usual, wonderfully skillful photos...

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

Just wanted to say that this thread, with all it's fine, clean, clear little waters and colors..and those rods...

The "taste" of it all just makes this thread one of the very best for me.

Thanks all. I'm totally enjoying this ride!

Jeremy.
I love clean, clear waters...

Oxbow
Master Guide

Post by Oxbow »

I can't seem to get any work done while this thread keeps growing and I keep daydreaming. Great pics guys.

Alaric11
Master Guide

Post by Alaric11 »

Just back from a day of small stream fishing near Manchester, VT. I visited Mad Tom Creek, Big Branch, and the Mettawee.

hdrmd
Master Guide

Post by hdrmd »

I really enjoy these photos of the tiny waters. I just returned from fishing the Dolores River in Colorado. At its upper reaches between Rico and Lizard Head Pass, I think it qualifies as small water. Especially this time of year. IImageImageImage fished hard, caught a few, but the fall in Co is spectacular. DR

eastprong
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by eastprong »

Big Branch brings back great memories. Are the wild rainbows still there?

--Rich

nativebrownie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by nativebrownie »

When I heard that Dave Lewis moved on to a better world of beautiful waters, I had many thoughts. (Dave Lewis of Performance Fly Rods built beautiful rods - rods especially tuned to his beloved SNP, Shenandoah National Park. He was a gifted craftsperson and a humble, fine person who was always ready to swap stories on fine rods, beautiful places, and any of the stuff that matters. If you haven't done so, drop in on his Photo Journals - see his Performance Fly Rods site. Just a gently drawn, beautiful legacy of fine photography and thoughts about things that really matter - and of course, tiny waters. Dave will be missed by all of us, and the fishing and rod building community.)

As with many of you, I was lucky to share many, many conversations with Dave over the years. We talked of small waters, glass rods (in early years it was of Fishers and later of his own gorgeous contributions), and my favorite passion - their utterly special Photo-Journals. We miss him, and these Photo Journals, for me, remain a legacy of unadulterated beauty and appreciation for the natural world - like Dave - humble and special and always in awe of our surroundings. I told him that often.

I am lucky as I live within an easy drive and walk the same small waters that Dave enjoyed so much for so many years. With the early Fall gathering here, it seemed natural and right to share a small stream in his area, SNP, with one of his beautifully built, lovely wands in hand - in appreciation:

Last edited by nativebrownie on 10/09/09 00:58, edited 1 time in total.

DarkstarCrashes

Post by DarkstarCrashes »

I'm another VA small stream guy. It's cool to see pics from other people enjoying some of my favorites.

nativebrownie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by nativebrownie »

Alaric,
You travel in the right places - whatta bridge - and those formations, I'd stop for lunch...

hdrmd,
I couldn't visit that country - I'd never leave - just so beautiful...

DarkstarCrashes - that is one beautiful sign. SNP is a minor miracle of preservation...
Last edited by nativebrownie on 10/13/09 06:46, edited 1 time in total.

stickleyboy
Guide

Post by stickleyboy »

More Virginia brook trout water. My neighbor was telling me tonight how they used to pull 60 12-14" "natives" a day out of here before Camille in 1969. He advises me I should dispense with the fly rod and just wind monofilament around a bamboo pole. His preferred technique is to stick the pole through the thickest mountain laurel and then slowly twist and unwind the line down into a hole. The thicker the laurel the better. Canned corn, he informs me, is his favorite fly. He said they used to hide the fish from the warden in the hubcaps....?! I tried to suggest that poor conservation practices might have hurt the fishing more than the hirricane, but we've agreed to disagree on that point.

Image ImageImageImageImage
Has a man ever caught fish on high mountains? And even though what I want and do up here be folly, it is still better than if I became solemn.... Bite, my fishing rod, into the belly of all black melancholy! Nietzsche,Thus Spoke Zarathustra

nativebrownie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by nativebrownie »

stickleyboy,

Deliciously beautiful photos - nicely shared for all to ponder... That trio of a Medalist , split cane, and brookie has depth of color that startles - bravo...
I believe that small stream rod has a tite-lock seat that suggests real vintage - is that a older Heddon? Or?

We all need to visit that neck of the woods... I 'll side with you on the conservation issue...

stickleyboy
Guide

Post by stickleyboy »

Yes, that's an older Heddon-built Lyon & Coulson Captain. I think Heddon should have kept with the nickel silver hold-tite seat instead of the new fangled tenite. It does shine nicely in a photo.

Jim
Has a man ever caught fish on high mountains? And even though what I want and do up here be folly, it is still better than if I became solemn.... Bite, my fishing rod, into the belly of all black melancholy! Nietzsche,Thus Spoke Zarathustra

stickleyboy
Guide

Post by stickleyboy »

Just resting after a visit with yours truly. I think I shot this through my sunglasses. Jim

nativebrownie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by nativebrownie »

Hmmm... again, very nice... sure fits the time of the year - they are beautiful in pre - spawning attire. Appreciated, sunglasses and all...

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Greg Reynolds »

It's been a cool and rainy year, which has kept me from fishing due to high water. It was a pleasure to finally get out over the weekend. This stream is a favorite that I save for special outings--typically once in May for its spectacular wildflowers and once on a crisp autumn day. It's smaller than it appears in the photos and has about a mile of fishable water. I've never seen anyone fishing it or evidence that anyone does, making it all the more nice.

Alaric11
Master Guide

Post by Alaric11 »

Spectacular!! Thanks for posting those.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”