Oak rod tube rack

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Oak rod tube rack

Post by thegubster »

Very nice DC. You did a nice, clean job on your felting too.

I like the other two pieces of furniture you have in that room as well. It all matches nicely.

Fun, isn't it.

Jeremy.
I love clean, clear waters...

dcfly
Guide

Oak rod tube rack

Post by dcfly »

I don't think I'll quit my day job yet, but thought I would share some photos of a rod tube holder I just finished building today.  I wanted it to fit in between my old oak fly tying bench and cabinet that I use to store fly tying materials, fly boxes, reels, files on fly patterns, etc.

I found a little quarter-sawn oak (for the legs anyway) to match the old bench and cabinet and tried to match the finish of the old pieces.  The three end holes have slots to allow a strung-up rod to be slid in there (something I saw in a catalogue rod stand recently).  Both the top and bottom holes are lined with felt to protect decals and finish on old rod tubes.  The holes are all 3 inches, which I found was not large enough for the triangular tube of a TFO rod I have (even without the felt lining), but large enough to hold the fish finder I use with a float tube.

My wife noticed that I built the rack with 18 holes but don't own that many rods.  "You are right," I said, "looks like I have some more work to do."

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Oak rod tube rack

Post by ibookje »

Wow DC! That rack looks amazing, very professional and just plain practical!

Could you make me an 8 holed version? Image

I store my rod tubes a bit messy in the corner of the attic. Just to keep from unwanted guests form showing the tubes have something valuable in them. Image

tim simbari
Master Guide

Oak rod tube rack

Post by tim simbari »

You should give some serious thought to your cost/time on this and think about a price, it looks to be a very well done piece and there's a market for it. You might also consider one about 1/2 as big. Very nice effort. 

Middle Branch
Master Guide

Oak rod tube rack

Post by Middle Branch »

Looks really good. I've been planning something like this. On the bottom piece, did you drill the holes halfway through or did you drill all the way through and put some type of backing underneath it?

Greg Reynolds
Bamboo Fanatic

Oak rod tube rack

Post by Greg Reynolds »

Fine work--it couldn't be nicer...Image

DrakeBob
Bamboo Fanatic

Oak rod tube rack

Post by DrakeBob »

Outstanding!  Would you consider doing it in cherry and how can I place an order?
Formerly Drake – Bringing You The Finest In Foruming™ Since March, 2003
Piscator Non Solum Piscatur

fiskarflugen

Oak rod tube rack

Post by fiskarflugen »

What did you line the tube holes with? Is that velcro? Very nice job.

dcfly
Guide

Oak rod tube rack

Post by dcfly »

Thanks for the nice comments.  I'm just an amateur at this kind of thing and have more than a full-time job for at least 3-4 more years, so I can't take any orders, if anyone was really serious about that.  Anyway, if you saw the underside, you would not be too impressed.  I used metal L-braces to secure the legs, in addition to the wood corner blocks that are more visible.  I did not sand the underside of the glued-up boards for the top and bottom pieces, so there is dried up glue at the seams under there, etc.  I'm happy to provide any information on the construction, however.

Middle Branch - I drilled all the way through the bottom piece and screwed 1/4" X 4" boards to the bottom to cover the holes from the underside.  Drilling part way through and trying to chisel out the drilled part of that solid oak did not sound like much fun, so drilling all the way through seemed like the only answer to me.  As it turned out, it also left just enough depth to place the felt disks in the bottom of the holes and have room for the pre-cut felt strips to line the holes as described below.

fiskarflugen.bocweb: The holes are lined with self-sticking felt strips from Lowe's; they just happened to be a nice width for the thickness of the oak boards I used.  They come in 60-inch lengths, and I cut them to 9 & 3/16" lengths to fit exactly around the inside of each hole. The bottom holes also have 3-inch self-sticking felt disks stuck to the bottom, that I found at the same rack at Lowe's.  I was lucky that they fit exactly in the 3-inch holes I had drilled.  I had not shopped for the felt strips or disks in advance of building the thing, so I was lucky that the sizes were just right.

-Don
Last edited by dcfly on 03/28/10 16:33, edited 1 time in total.

2dogkayak
Guide

Oak rod tube rack

Post by 2dogkayak »

Nice work, but more importantly, how many fingers do you have left?

I am poking fun at myself, having been to the ER a time or two.

I was rushing to get finished and trying to watch the Dallas Cowboys score at the same time.

Bill
Last edited by 2dogkayak on 03/30/10 16:30, edited 1 time in total.

dcfly
Guide

Oak rod tube rack

Post by dcfly »

Bill:

I'm a Cowboys fan myself.  I don't know why.  Have been for over 30 years.  No injuries from the rack construction, but my feet sure hurt right now after wading the Yuba River today a little too soon after foot surgery (on both!).  Caught a nice rainbow (19") on my old Battenkill, but those big slippery rocks on the Yuba make for tough wading with sore toes.

Don

uniphasian
Global Moderator

Oak rod tube rack

Post by uniphasian »

I snagged this map rack a few years ago from the trash bin when my office was moving to a new location.  Best thing I ever picked out of the trash:

- Uni

Mataura mayfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Oak rod tube rack

Post by Mataura mayfly »

DC,
From one that works with wood for a living I must say what a wonderful practical functional piece of furniture you have made!
Well done, it will serve you well and hopefully remain in your family for generations filled with beautiful cane rods each with a story to tell.

Only wished my tying area and storage for rods and other gear was as tidy!!

spm
Sport

Re: Oak rod tube rack

Post by spm »

dcfly wrote:Thanks for the nice comments.  I'm just an amateur at this kind of thing and have more than a full-time job for at least 3-4 more years, so I can't take any orders, if anyone was really serious about that.  Anyway, if you saw the underside, you would not be too impressed.  I used metal L-braces to secure the legs, in addition to the wood corner blocks that are more visible.  I did not sand the underside of the glued-up boards for the top and bottom pieces, so there is dried up glue at the seams under there, etc.  I'm happy to provide any information on the construction, however.

Middle Branch - I drilled all the way through the bottom piece and screwed 1/4" X 4" boards to the bottom to cover the holes from the underside.  Drilling part way through and trying to chisel out the drilled part of that solid oak did not sound like much fun, so drilling all the way through seemed like the only answer to me.  As it turned out, it also left just enough depth to place the felt disks in the bottom of the holes and have room for the pre-cut felt strips to line the holes as described below.

fiskarflugen.bocweb: The holes are lined with self-sticking felt strips from Lowe's; they just happened to be a nice width for the thickness of the oak boards I used.  They come in 60-inch lengths, and I cut them to 9 & 3/16" lengths to fit exactly around the inside of each hole. The bottom holes also have 3-inch self-sticking felt disks stuck to the bottom, that I found at the same rack at Lowe's.  I was lucky that they fit exactly in the 3-inch holes I had drilled.  I had not shopped for the felt strips or disks in advance of building the thing, so I was lucky that the sizes were just right.

-Don
Don,
I know this is an old post, but I have a question. First, I must compliment you on the finished product. My question is what are the dimensions of the main boards, that is the top and bottom and how tall is the finished rack?

Thanks,
steve
"Nothing is as bad as something that is not so bad"...Sr. Percival Blakeney, aka The Scarlet Pimpernel

Iasgair
Guide

Post by Iasgair »

uniphasian wrote:I snagged this map rack a few years ago from the trash bin when my office was moving to a new location.  Best thing I ever picked out of the trash:

This photo is my wife's worst nightmare. And I'm working on it slowly.

Beautiful rod rack DC. I can tell you put a lot of pride into what you do. Wonderful craftsmanship. I on the other hand would just buy a beautiful coffee table and drill out big holes. I know, no character in it that way, but it works.

kilgore
Master Guide

Post by kilgore »

So at the risk of being, "hey, guys, look what I did", look here's what I did, maybe after seeing dcfly's rack many years ago---I did take my design from someone (we stand on the shoulders of giants---er, better craftsmen). The top (red oak) and bottom (pine) measure 7 1/8 x 12 5/8, total height to top 28 1/8, distance between top and bottom 23 1/4, legs (walnut) are 1 3/4 x 28 3/8. Holes are 4@1 5/8, 3@2, 2@1 and 1@2 1/8 (for a graphite rod not shown). The bottom has a subfloor of pine. I like the idea of the felt. Rack only holds eight tubes and two for rod sections.

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

kilgore wrote:So at the risk of being, "hey, guys, look what I did", look here's what I did, maybe after seeing dcfly's rack many years ago---I did take my design from someone (we stand on the shoulders of giants---er, better craftsmen). The top (red oak) and bottom (pine) measure 7 1/8 x 12 5/8, total height to top 28 1/8, distance between top and bottom 23 1/4, legs (walnut) are 1 3/4 x 28 3/8. Holes are 4@1 5/8, 3@2, 2@1 and 1@2 1/8 (for a graphite rod not shown). The bottom has a subfloor of pine. I like the idea of the felt. Rack only holds eight tubes and two for rod sections.

Nice. Keep on building!

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by prairieschooner »

Beautiful rod racks; you guys put me to shame. I wish I had a spot for a nice rack in my little man burrow (not large enough for a cave) but I don't, so here is the rod niche in what is fondly referred to as The World's Smallest Gun Room :o ...

(and why it's called that :) ...)

I spent most of my money on shotguns, fly rods, guitars and banjos. The rest I just wasted. (Apologies to W.C. Fields)

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Ya got more cool stuff crammed into that small closet than I do in my whole basement and den!!!! Dude!

prairieschooner
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by prairieschooner »

I really wasn't trying to take away from the beautiful rod racks; was just lamenting that I don't have room for one and have tried to make the best of what I've got. But thanks...
I spent most of my money on shotguns, fly rods, guitars and banjos. The rest I just wasted. (Apologies to W.C. Fields)

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”