Finding the Perfect match

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

hdrmd
Master Guide

Re: Finding the Perfect match

Post by hdrmd »

I would like to add a couple matches, that while maybe not perfect, work pretty well for me. Payne 96 with Uniqua and 3DT . PHY Midge with St. George Jr. and 4TT Image

BobS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BobS »

oldfishbrain wrote:Bob:
I have a similar rod 38L, specially built (according to Len Codella). Mine has an 8/64" ferrule and likes a 1wt DT silk line. A 2wt line definitely overloads it. I plan to make a clone of it, whenever I can find some time to fit it in. Largest brown caught with it 15 1/2". Many more in the 9-12 class.
It does not like wind or even a breeze. Nodeless construction may make the clone crispier and more usable.
Alex:

A 15 1/2" fish on that rod must have been a delicate proposition. Very nice work, I'd say.

You might try a Monic Micro-Taper DT2F on that rod, if that line is available to you. I have it in DT3 and 4, and it is 'way underweight in both sizes.

Bob

oldfishbrain
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oldfishbrain »

BobS wrote:
Alex:

A 15 1/2" fish on that rod must have been a delicate proposition. Very nice work, I'd say.

You might try a Monic Micro-Taper DT2F on that rod, if that line is available to you. I have it in DT3 and 4, and it is 'way underweight in both sizes.

Bob

Bob:
I have that Monic line, although I have not tried it with that rod. I will now.
That 15 1/2" brown female was a bit scary. She took a #14 haystack on top and went straight to the bottom of the pool where she sulked for a long while. I was unable to get her moving with that light rod. In time, I started to think that I must be snagged at the bottom, when she decided to move. I was actually surprised at the control I had over her movements with that extra light rod. I was able to guide her across a riffle to a calm back eddy where I brought her to the net without tiring her too much. After a nice photo in the net she was back on her way. One of those occasions you never forget.
Nodeless Light Line Cane Rods
avardanis@sympatico.ca

BobS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BobS »

Alex: Truly surprising that you got the fish to move with that little rod. Will be interested to learn how the Monic works out.

Here are a couple of oldish soldiers that got a little exercise today at Big Spring, PA. The rod is a Gillum 8'3" 3/2 5wt, the reel a Walker TR2.

BobS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BobS »

A pairing that accounted for a few browns and rainbows on the Yellow Breeches, today: Dickerson 761510RB and Godfrey Heritage Bi 50.

Oxbow
Master Guide

Post by Oxbow »

BobS - YOU'RE KILLING ME -- PLEASE STOP.

oldfishbrain
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oldfishbrain »

Leonard Appalacian with 2 7/8" D.L. Robichaud, a 5wt Quiet Taper l line and two nice browns.

Nodeless Light Line Cane Rods
avardanis@sympatico.ca

nativetrout
Master Guide

Post by nativetrout »

HDRMD--- Very beautiful little coupling of rods you have there. I don't think anything goes together better than classic American built cane and a well aged english trout reel. Very nice taste in appearence and quality of products. Another guy on here, I think his handle is Quashnet has very good taste in pairings and a fine collection of Young rods. I think you guys should get along well.

solitaryangle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by solitaryangle »

'tis a little early for lots of the flowers this year, especially the paintbrush (all of Colorado is out of whack), but the Aroner and Malloch needed some love since fishing (or catching) was slow on this most recent sunny day on the lake.....

Gary

BobS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BobS »

OnlyTrout wrote:BobS - YOU'RE KILLING ME -- PLEASE STOP.
Meant no harm. :) B

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

I don't know if there has ever been a single page of posts on this Forum with as many rare and outstanding combinations of the finest tackle available, paired marvelously, as this page shows. More than a treat.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

BobS,
Those are outstanding! That Gillum and Walker combination is to die for. Thanx.

BobS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BobS »

Thank you.

I never get tired of looking at the outstanding rod/reel pairings others have posted on this subject, and hope to see many more. Kudos to WatercolorMan for getting things started.

hdrmd
Master Guide

Finding the Perfect match

Post by hdrmd »

Nativetrout: Thank you. I to visit Quashnet's site and read his posts

bobk
Master Guide

Post by bobk »

Bob S - I'll raise your Gillum & Walker with another Gillum & Walker - Bob K

H.S. Gillum 9’, 3/2, Salmon, 7/8 wt.

Arthur L. Walker, model 200, size 2/0 multipling reel

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Ok, two Gillum and Walker combinations on the same page. Now this is getting a bit unfair. Do we really deserve this much suffering?

BobS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BobS »

Very nice indeed, Bob K. Reminds me of that time on the Alta that the Duke of Roxburghe and I...oh, never mind. ;)

tomimc
Master Guide

Post by tomimc »

Maxwell T&T Classic, 7'6"/5wt with a Hardy LRH, Terenzio silk. And a healthy Big Spring 'bow that has a thing for ants...

bearbutt
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bearbutt »

A Kushner 7'9" Excelereme with a Godfrey 275.

bb

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Not many of these Kushner's around, very nice looking outfit BB! The Godfrey look great on it.

Also the T and T Classic and LRH is a really classy setup, love the grip on the Classic. A rod named appropriately for sure.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”