Finding the Perfect match

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

BobS
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Finding the Perfect match

Post by BobS »

Can't match the beauty of that Kushner pic just above; but here at least is a pic of a different Kushner with some very odd wraps (about which more a little later). The reel is a Godfrey W275W.
The rod is an 8' 2/2 5/6 wt Exelereme built in 1965. The wraps on the butt section are brown/black variegated. Exactly the same wraps are on the male ferrules and on the tip-tops. However, the guide wraps on both tips (which match each other) are green/black variegated.

I'd be most interested to learn whether anyone else has seen or heard of other odd variations by this builder.

bearbutt
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bearbutt »

Bob,

Good question about the wraps. The 7'9" Excelereme pictured above uses orange/black jasper thread throughout the rod; but I have seen an 8' 2/2 with the green & black jasper thread. I haven't seen one using two different threads like yours though--but as Kushner was always experimenting, it wouldn't surprise me if there's not something else like that out there.

Meanwhile, here's another pairing: an 8' 2/2 FET Browntone with a 306 Godfrey Classic and Rhubarb pie from Noonmark Diner in Keene Valley.

bb

BobS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BobS »

Another classy combo, bb. Pie looks pretty good, too.

Does your Kushner actually have the c in Excelereme? I've seen the model identified that way in print, but the only rods I've had a chance to look at show Exelereme (no c).

uwe
Guide

Post by uwe »

Orvis Battenkill 6 1/2 feet 2 5/8 oz 4 weight, Hardy Bougle reel and Quinsam Cutthroat.ImageImage
Last edited by uwe on 05/28/13 09:57, edited 1 time in total.

bearbutt
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bearbutt »

BobS wrote: Does your Kushner actually have the c in Excelereme? I've seen the model identified that way in print, but the only rods I've had a chance to look at show Exelereme (no c).
Oops! You are right, it's Exelereme, mea culpa! Thanks for catching this.

As for the pie--it's about as good as it gets, and a trip to the Ausable would not for me be complete without a couple of these pies. I have a very forgiving wife.

bb

oldfishbrain
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oldfishbrain »

My own Baby Catskill 6ft 1wt with Fred Balling's Mills Fairy copy, a one weight double taper Phoenix silk, a #16 parachute Adams and a brown whose size warrants the use of the combo:
Nodeless Light Line Cane Rods
avardanis@sympatico.ca

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Perfect match: Baby Hermann and Pickard 684 w/dual bands

Post by creakycane »

Tried this combo the other day, and they look and feel perfect together. The rod is a dream with a DT4 and small flies.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Kevin, Very handsome combination. I have used my small Hermann on a variety of rods ranging from an 8' 4 weight to an 8'6" 5 weight.

BobS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BobS »

This is easily my favorite topic. Never get tired of looking at the great combos posted. Wish the whole thing were available as a book.

I, too, use my little Hermann on several rods. Coincidentally (with creaky's recent use), used it on two different Leonards on trips just a day apart.

This is the reel on what some of us believe is an 8' 3/2 Model 40, @ 3.2 oz., with 14 and 10 ferrules. (I've heard or read that some pre-fire M50s were made with 14/10 ferrules. Opinions welcome on this possibility.)

Here it is on a pre-fire 65L, with a sharply-swelled butt. Bought it as a 4wt, but it's better as a 3, and, along with the rod above, will handle the (fat) SA GPX DT2 with a little line out.

ukey
Guide

Post by ukey »

Godfrey Bi-metal and a Sweetgrass 8'5wt. quad. The reel is lined with a Hardy Marksman WF-5-F line.Image

ukey
Guide

Post by ukey »

The same reel on my 8' 5wt. Winston quad. Both combos are Perfect! I have to flip a coin when I head out fishing because it's hard to pick which rod to use.Image

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

One of my favorite combinations, a Paul Hermann reel and an 8'3" 4 weight by Chris Raine

ukey
Guide

Post by ukey »

Sweetgrass 4wt Penta and a Hardy St. George. This combo is perfect on smaller streams!!!Image

oldfishbrain
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by oldfishbrain »

The 60 Bulldog Skeleton reel loaded with a 1wt DT silk and my 7/64" ferruled Baby Catskill seemed to be made for each other. The foot of the reel was too long for its size and if I were to make a reel seat to fit it, it would be way out of proportion for the grip and the rest of the rod. So, as much as I hate doing it, the reel foot had to be sacrificed. As you can see from the condition of the grip this combination has been responsible for many small browns and rainbows.

Nodeless Light Line Cane Rods
avardanis@sympatico.ca

Zeddediah
Guide

Post by Zeddediah »

BobS wrote:The rod is a plain Leonard 38 (2.6 oz.) with a Godfrey C253.  Neat thing about this reel (beside the fact that it works perfectly on this rod)  is that it's SN 001.  (Pretty nice paint on my 275,000+ miles, three-hubcap '88 Olds 88, don't you think?)

Yeah, what are you to think when the fly rods in your hand are worth more than the car you drove to fish it with?
"Libertas et natale solum."
Or, as John Belushi might say, "Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?"

Zeddediah
Guide

Post by Zeddediah »

This is a thread to wonderful to let die. There are many modern craftsman who build from scratch unbelievable works of art that are not given there 'due' (case in point "Perfection Fly Reels" @ http://perfectionflyreel.blogspot.com/). Please, continue this marvelous thread for all our pleasure.
"Libertas et natale solum."
Or, as John Belushi might say, "Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?"

Wild Skies
Guide

Post by Wild Skies »

Gene Novak "Pass Lake", 7'6", 2/2, Parabolic 4 wt. with Hal Bacon reel.

Ron Kusse "Baby Catskill" 6'0", 2/2, 1 wt. with Meisselbach Featherlight 250 reel. Now please don't blabber this all over the internet, but this diminutive outfit is the ultimate secret weapon fishing tiny Tricos on skinny tippets for little native Brookies . . . pure joy in a BIG way!
Wild Skies
Since 1951

steelheader8
Sport

Post by steelheader8 »

Godfrey Perfectionist 306 with a Degere 7'9" "Diamond Drill Hole" 209E Bamboo Rod.Image

red 1
Master Guide

Post by red 1 »

Love all the rods and reels posted so far. My perfect match is a Kiri clone of a Paul Young Perfectionist rod with a new CFO reel
I want to be buried with my favorite rod.
I hear the Styx River has Fish.

steelheader8
Sport

Post by steelheader8 »

Small streams, Hardy St. George Jr. with a Critchfield 7' 3wt Bamboo Rod.ImageImage

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”