Warm Weather Effects On Fishing

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Royalpark
Master Guide

Warm Weather Effects On Fishing

Post by Royalpark »

It's been a record setting winter in regards to snowfall and
high temperatures. I'm thinking it has to have an effect on
anadromus species and spawning in general. Will it mean
larger fish in the fall due to the fact they will be actively
feeding for a longer period of time-will it upset the balance
for next year? It certainly means our beloved bamboo will
see more time on the water this year.

Blue Waters
Guide

Re: Warm Weather Effects On Fishing

Post by Blue Waters »

I really don't know Royalpark but I'm betting the sulphurs are
gonna come earlier than usual.....a lot earlier!?
"Say what you have to say, not what you ought. Any truth is better than make-believe."

- Henry David Thoreau

wiscoy
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wiscoy »

I would agree with the worries about the east, the water levels are as far ahead of the calendar as the temps.

I drive along a favorite stream on the way home on the days I do go to the office, been scrubbing the bugs off the windsheild each time.

It has been near 80 this week, i hopped over and fished for about an hour last evening, I didn't have a thermometer with me but when i had my hands in the water it seemed to warm for March.
"It is better to tie one good fly in an hour than a dozen that would only be taken by a trout with a sense of humor"
Uncle Bill

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

I'm with Moonshine and Wiscoy; I think it will be a tough summer on fish in the East, especially the wild native brook trout I chase in the headwaters streams. And, that follows the two previous consecutive drought years.

Rupert

firehole
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by firehole »

Come West. The water flows in Idaho & Montana are near to slightly above normal. The reservoirs will fill since there's been carryover storage from last years record snowpack.

Dennis

hoofangler
Guide

Post by hoofangler »

Definitely weird weather here in the east. Fished the NY c&r stretch of the battenkill today. Almost eighty degrees! Brown stones and caddis all over and an 18" brown that took like it was May. The river was in good shape but some of the smaller local creeks are low. I wonder if these spells of warm weather speed up the hatches? Does anyone know for sure what triggers a hatch or are we still guessing.

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by LeeO »

Creeks are warming up far too soon in WV. It also appears that every living plant and tree species is going to bloom out and leaf out at the same time. I can't imagine that it won't have an impact. We have had a ton of rain though.

Hipgnosis
Master Guide

Post by Hipgnosis »

Here in west Michigan we had about 1/2 of our normal snow fall but are at normal for precip. The streams are warming quickly however without the cold water recharge and the continuous warm air temps. Like most of the others here... I believe it's going to be an early, short season.

Mike

nativetrout
Master Guide

Post by nativetrout »

what's going on is called weather modification and if you ask anyone anywhere in the country, weather has been extremely out of whack. People with power playing with normal trends of weather

Petrarch
Guide

Post by Petrarch »

nativetrout wrote:what's going on is called weather modification and if you ask anyone anywhere in the country, weather has been extremely out of whack. People with power playing with normal trends of weather
Everything was going so well, and I was quite worried when I read the thread title. :D ;) :titanic
:popcorn :popcorn :popcorn
aka Alaric11
Alaricus Rex Gothorum
Avatar of Mont Ventoux, Petrarch's account of his ascent on April 26th, 1336 : http://www.idehist.uu.se/distans/ilmh/R ... entoux.htm

nativetrout
Master Guide

Post by nativetrout »

whats that mean Petrarch? I'm sorry, Ill get back in line.....everything is perfectly normal and the economy is coming back. Is that better?? ;)
Last edited by nativetrout on 03/23/12 18:09, edited 1 time in total.

Petrarch
Guide

Post by Petrarch »

I thought your remark might touch upon political issues that are better suited for elsewhere. {The foregoing remark by Petrarch is not itself a political comment nor should it be interpreted as a statement about warming, cooling, wind patterns, tectonic activity, the end of the world, etc. . I'm explaining my joke in the post before.} :skoal :popcorn
aka Alaric11
Alaricus Rex Gothorum
Avatar of Mont Ventoux, Petrarch's account of his ascent on April 26th, 1336 : http://www.idehist.uu.se/distans/ilmh/R ... entoux.htm

nativetrout
Master Guide

Post by nativetrout »

Political would be democrat/republican nonsense. Im more or less pointing out a fact that effects my fishing and obviously other peoples. I could give a darn about politics till it screws with my time on the water. 90 degrees in CO in early March is not normal and we had pretty much 0 snow this year.That means all my favorite small streams will be a trickle by August. Record highs every single week, higher than anything recorded. That will mean screwball fishing and me unhappy. I promise no politics, its all about fishin.

Petrarch
Guide

Post by Petrarch »

I have no desire for anyone to be "in line." Say whatever you like and I'll post my little popcorn guy in case someone replies. It was your last sentence
nativetrout wrote: People with power playing with normal trends of weather
which I thought might make for some viewing. I was impressed that the early posts stuck to the issue of guesses about what it means for this season. To wit, here in Maryland, March is fishing like early May and I think we are going to have low water problems similar to a normal August in June.
aka Alaric11
Alaricus Rex Gothorum

16parachuteadams
Master Guide

Post by 16parachuteadams »

Fished Little River by wading wet yesterday and today, definately a new early mark for me. BTW Stan Smartt and I caught more than 40 1~2lb white bass, all on cane.

wefishcane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wefishcane »

White bass took me back to the early 60's while in the Air Force stationed in San Angelo Texas. I don't know how the fishing is now but it was great back then.

Jim

16parachuteadams
Master Guide

Post by 16parachuteadams »

It is a little early for them here, usually show up in the middle of April. Yes they are still a lot of fun, especially since the stocked land locked stripers have taken to running up the rivers with them. You're fishing along catching 1~2 lb fish and all of a sudden a 40+ lb fish tries to take your rod away from you. I don't usually start wet wading here until sometime in May, March just seems positively unnatural.

caddis44
Sport

Post by caddis44 »

Fished a tailwater in Connecticut a few days ago. Water temp was 50F and there were sporadic stone fly and olive hatches. Fish were active and most fly fishers caught a few browns or rainbows. Everyone expecting the Hendricksons early. Don't know what a dry, hot summer will bring so get out early.

cwood
Master Guide

Post by cwood »

Here in NC Shad, Striper, Walleye, and White bass are all a few weeks early. I fished a small wild trout stream today and caught a ton of fish on dries when I would normally be fishing nymphs. I can't say I'm upset, as long as flows stay good it should be fine. The increased feeding time should help put on biomass if something else doesn't happen (e.g., no rain).

CWood

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”