Are sliding band reel seats worth the risk?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Mister Bill
Master Guide

Post by Mister Bill »

For the umteenth time, while landing a trophy fish, my reel feel off the wooden reel seat insert. There are just too many things going on in the heat of the battle, dealing with the current, footing on the river bottom, getting the landing net ready, while keeping an eye on the whopper the whole time.

I never have this problem when bringing in a small fish or winding up at the end of the day. My reel sits pretty well on the insert. It is a Hardy reel and a name brand insert. However, with just one false move in a big event, and the reel can be in the water in a heartbeat. I handled the last situation by bring the fish in hand-over-hand and retrieving my reel from the river bottom when the battle was over.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Bill

BobS
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Are sliding band reel seats worth the risk?

Post by BobS »

It may be that that reel is simply a bad fit on that seat, no matter how solid it seems to be under non-stress conditions. I have personally experienced that phenomenon.

Generally speaking, apart from the circumstance noted above, I've had no problem whatsoever with cap and ring seats. This includes playing and landing some pretty nice steelheads under weather conditions that tend to make one careless and awkward.

Another possibility is that you make some movement in playing the fish, or in-between landing fish, that tends to loosen the reel in the seat. One thing that comes to mind is tucking the rod under an arm, to make some adjustment, e.g., tying on a new fly.

caddisman3
Master Guide

Post by caddisman3 »

Two rubber O rings on a dual slide band eliminates the problem perfectly.
Karl

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

Is the foot on your reel one of the ribbed brass feet? If so the slide band may not properly fit.

Jim
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

flyfishingpastor
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by flyfishingpastor »

When using the cap/ring seats, I just take an extra second or two to snug the sliding band onto the foot of the reel when I'm changing flies. Don't think I've dropped one since I started doing this.

Pat

WIHEXROD
Master Guide

Post by WIHEXROD »

Without seeing and feeling the fit of your reel on your reel seat it is hard to tell if the fit is proper.
When I make a reel seat cap and ring, I like the ring(s) to fit about half way up each side of the foot. If it is too loose, it may come off. For a temporary fix, a layer or two of masking tape on the reel foot where it contacts the insert will tighten it up. Trim the excess off. A long term option is to have it fitted properly by someone who knows what they are doing.
Just what I do,
Scott

Slate Drake 9
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Slate Drake 9 »

Sounds like a poor fit is causing your problems. Try a different reel or reelseat.
Fishing with bait is like swearing in church.

Eric Peper
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Eric Peper »

I've had the problem with downlock cap and ring seats because the heel of my hand can accidentally shift the ring. I have never had the problem (knocking wood) with an uplock slide band because once it's set it never gets touched until the reel is removed.

Eric

chform
Guide

Post by chform »

I always make my sliding band reel seats with cork inserts. It allows me to use a very tight fit, thanks to the flexible cork. But on my sliding seats with wooden inserts, not all reel feet will fit, which of course is negative compared to threaded ones.

Respectfully,
Christian
Christian Hörgren Fine Tackle
http://www.finetackle.blogspot.com

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

Eric Peper wrote:I've had the problem with downlock cap and ring seats because the heel of my hand can accidentally shift the ring. I have never had the problem (knocking wood) with an uplock slide band because once it's set it never gets touched until the reel is removed.

Eric
DITTO!!!

Oxbow
Master Guide

Post by Oxbow »

My experience with sliding band reel seats has been stellar. Probably owned over 30 rods with this and never had a reel fall off. Maybe I have just been lucky. On a couple of rods where I thought that could be a problem I use Young reels (inexpensive but great) and file and sandpapered the foot to fit so snug it's almost hard to take them off. I would not give up on them.

DT4F
Guide

Post by DT4F »

I much prefer down locking seats, but have had occasional probs with the reel falling off unless I periodically check to tighten it. I really prefer screw down locking but with Strubell closing have probs finding them.

tiptop
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by tiptop »

Slate Drake 9 wrote:Sounds like a poor fit is causing your problems. Try a different reel or reelseat.
I agree. There are so many variations of reel feet and reel seats that you just need to find the right combination and it helps if you have a number of reels to choose from. Some reel feet, especially those with steep ramps or edges that aren't rounded just don't work very well with sliding band seats. Ideally you want a seat/band combination that gradually snugs up the further the band is pushed up the foot. If the band goes from loose to tight in a millimeter or two, the chances of it coming loose when bumped are high. A band that is somewhat flexible helps too.

rsagebrush
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by rsagebrush »

I have cut up some moleskin to put on reels that do not have a great, that is loose fit on the band seats, also in lieu of that jamb a piece of folded matchbook or twig under the reel foot.
Either works great for the day. An I check every now and then to make sure the fit is tight.
Last edited by rsagebrush on 12/27/12 20:13, edited 1 time in total.

bvandeuson
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bvandeuson »

I'm with CHForm. My only sliding bands are on cork, never had a problem. When you're not fighting the big one, take some time to closely examine the fit between the reel and the seat. I have been known to add a piece of duct tape under the reel foot to tighten things up. Just stick it to the foot and trim it.

BB

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by LeeO »

The reel seat I have the most trouble with is a threaded downlocker. If a cap and ring is fitted correctly, it works great and your reel should not come off at all.

flying fisherman
Guide

Post by flying fisherman »

I have had that problem all too many times. I ruined a MINT 1960's Vintage Hardy Perfect when it slipped off the rod (while fighting a fish) and bounced off a boulder that I was standing by in the middle of the river.

Dan :-(

Mister Bill
Master Guide

Post by Mister Bill »

One of the problems I had was that with such a large fish on a light rod, I turned the rod upside down to avoid giving the rod a set, which required reeling backwards with my other hand. Add to that the variables of the current, rocky bottom, managing the net and keeping one eye on the prize, it was a comedy of errors.

Bill

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

I've found the previously mentioned "rubber O-ring" solution eliminates the problem.

They are visually unobtrusive with blackened hardware and can be easily removed.

Only one O-ring is needed with the commonly found d/l s/b reel seat, and they work with either morticed or round fillers.

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Jaimec
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Jaimec »

Bill,

Yes, I've had that problem. In my case, I made my own rod and turned my own reel seat. Unfortunately, I didn't measure as well as I should, and did not have my reel with me to check the fit when I made it. Can't imagine where the problem was with my decision making at the time ;) I blame it on Neil Young, who was blaring from the speakers in the shop, and certainly not the beer I was drinking....

The problem was that I was a few thousandths too thick in the reel seat, so the ring just didn't have enough of the reel foot to grip on. This was decidedly not good, as I'd attached the reel seat with Gorilla glue, and that thing probably ain't coming off in my lifetime!

Fortunately (I guess) for me, I use a pfleuger reel that has no real value, so I adjusted the thickness of the reel foot with a dremel, and haven't had a problem since.

I still find myself snugging up that ring every few casts, though, because I know exactly how it feels to lose you're reel in the river :-\ Ain't no fun. Especially when the reel tumbles as it sinks to the bottom, and you see your line un-spooling and floating downstream.

A proper fix for me would involve literally breaking off the reel seat, which would destroy my cork. Meaning that it I would have to turn a new reel seat, buy new hardware (as well as cork rings), turn a new grip, turn a new seat, and blue new hardware, THEN reassemble the whole mess.

Ok, so..... You didn't say where the problem lies in your situation. Is the reel too loose, or too tight? In other words, have you looked at how your reel mates with the reel seat? If it's too loose, that's easy. Simply add a layer or two of masking tape to the area of the reel foot where it connects to the reel seat. Certainly not elegant, but it works (and you can trim it with an exacto so that nobody sees it), and it works well. If it's too tight....well.... you're in my boat.
Jaime
"Custom Made Silk Fly Lines, Tenkara and Furled Leaders, Hand Made in the USA"

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”