Are sliding band reel seats worth the risk?

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

bvandeuson
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Are sliding band reel seats worth the risk?

Post by bvandeuson »

Getting set to build my next rod, a 6'-6" 3wt fiberglass for chasing brookies in the headwaters. I will be using a double sliding band on cork to keep the weight down.

BB

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

The problem with most sliding band reel seats is that the band is improperly made. I have never had a reel come off one on my Leon Hanson rods in over 20 years of use. They are all sliding band wood seats, including an 8'9", 7 weight I have fished hard. I have a Omar Needham 9'0", 8 weight with sliding bands and I have caught some nice steelhead on it without incident. Paul Young, Payne and some others understood how to properly manufacturer their bands. The secret is they need to be thin enough to flex on to the reel foot, thereby locking it down, BUT strong enough to recover when released. Many commercial and shop made bands are just too stiff, too thick walled, to do the job. Those thicker wall bands can and will give way, from my experience.

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

In my experience it's mostly a matter of making sure the reelfoot fits the seat. If the band doesn't go down the foot properly and is a hard fit it will come off at an inopportune time. Also, as someone mentioned the reelfoot in the cap needs to be securely in place and not slide around. That's why the first thing I do when I'm building out a rod blank, is to fit the seat to a couple of reels and if I don't find a good match, I get another reelseat. A rod with an existing cap and ring seat can present a challenge and can even require getting another reel. Just know that if you have a cap and ring seat with a less than ideal fit, it's the risk you take.

woody osborne
Guide

Post by woody osborne »

i don't think i've ever had a problem with sliding band seats. i do not use them.

Brooks
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brooks »

I prefer slide bands, up, down, and doubles too (on my Ray Gould rod) —I have a mix on my different rods. I love how simple they are, and they were on my very first rod my grandpa gave me back in 1963 —I’ve never had a problem with them.

And of course, you all know I just screwed myself. Get ready for my next report—you’ll probably all have a good laugh at my expense. Teeing it up like this for the gods is little sacrifice for making it through last year (really teeing it up now😎).

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

It's like Carl said eight years ago: if they are designed well and made well, they work well.
Please visit and bookmark the Paul H. Young Rod Database
Other rod databases: Dickerson , Orvis , Powell

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jhuskey »

Davis Byrne wrote, "stop making sense". :skoal

Caneghost
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Caneghost »

The late Shirl Maisey machined the inside of his bands at a slight angle, avoiding the crooked fit common to staright bands. I have one of his seats and they are very nice.

They all work well for me if they fit the reel foot properly, neither running too far up the foot, nor catching just the nub end. OH and don't get so excited that you hit the reel with your hand, body, gear and jar them loose. I had a reel drop right off a plastic Sage rod fighting a steelhead once. THey had decided that one locking ring was enough for a ten foot 7 weight and it was just too costly to their profit margin to add a second ring. I landed the fish. I bought a couple of rubber O rings and put one behind the screw ring. I also buy no Sages.
...a wink of gold like the glint of sunlight on polished cane...

brightwatercatskill.art.blog

Oxbow
Master Guide

Post by Oxbow »

carl otto wrote:
01/08/13 11:58
The problem with most sliding band reel seats is that the band is improperly made. I have never had a reel come off one on my Leon Hanson rods in over 20 years of use. They are all sliding band wood seats, including an 8'9", 7 weight I have fished hard. I have a Omar Needham 9'0", 8 weight with sliding bands and I have caught some nice steelhead on it without incident. Paul Young, Payne and some others understood how to properly manufacturer their bands. The secret is they need to be thin enough to flex on to the reel foot, thereby locking it down, BUT strong enough to recover when released. Many commercial and shop made bands are just too stiff, too thick walled, to do the job. Those thicker wall bands can and will give way, from my experience.
As stated above, this has exactly been my experience over many years as well. I like the bands that bend slightly so that they conform better to the circumference of the reel foot and thus hold the reel foot tighter. Never have I had a problem with them. I did drop a reel off a new rod just this past month (the first time ever) casting in my back yard. Those bands were way too thick and had no give to them. The beveled bands work well also.

perfesser
Guide

Post by perfesser »

i only make cork reelseats and have not had a problem with reels falling off. besides on the very ugly rods i have made, i have replaced three seat/grip combos on rods i like that had handles/seats i hate, and plan to replace several more. i am very happy with the security cap and ring hardware offer on cork fillers.

the caps & rings on the butternut filler reelseats of my leonards don't like medalist feet, but are perfectly secure with hardys.

billems
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by billems »

Since obtaining my RK Bolt, I've become a fan of the old up-lock Payne style reel seat. It's super light, looks great, and small. I've dealt with the sliding bands myself, and HAVE had hat experience of the reel falling off with a good fish on. It sucks.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”