Shakespeare model A1363 Au Sable

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

oldyankee
Guide

Shakespeare model A1363 Au Sable

Post by oldyankee »

I have always wanted to fish a bamboo fly but I can't afford to purchase a "famous maker" brand rod. I purchased a 9 foot 3 piece rod on e-bay in my price range (under $100). It was a re-build rod, new wrappings, varnish etc. With some research on e-bay I found out the rod was made by Shakespeare, model A1363. Can anyone help me with the age of the rod? Where it was built etc? Any help would be great. Thanks.

BambooNut
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Shakespeare model A1363 Au Sable

Post by BambooNut »

I'm guessing pre WW2.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

I have a 9' Shakespeare 1368 3/2 that has never been fished. When I put it on the board they figured it was post-war and probably a South Bend build with Shakespeare. The best bet to really find out what you have and an idea of value is to put it on the appraisals forum and take some good pics. Read the intro so they know what they want in pics and post it. You'll get some good info on original maker, general era of build, value, and a line weight that it probably would perform with. My 1368 works fairly well with a 7wt., tho it's a heavy and slow rod in comparison to some of my other rods. Can throw a bunch of line but don't know if I'd want to do an 8 hour day of steady fishing with it.

Nick

ewp313
Bamboo Fanatic
Location: Keep looking to the stars! / Siempre mira a las estrellas!

Post by ewp313 »

Agreed the best way to find out is to post good detailed pics. If you don't care to know the appraised value just say so, but for identification this is the best method.
Shakespeare did not make their own rods after 1930 many including myself are of this opinion, but after this date were supplied rods from Heddon, Southbend, Union Hdwr., Horrocks Ibbotson, and Montague with the Shakespeare label. It wasn't til after WWII they again started making their own fiberglass rods, the pre 1930 rods and labels, hdwr, and grip shape is completely different on the best quality rods than lower grades, but all from that era were of better quality overall than most post 1930 examples.
There is some debate if these pre 1930 rods were made at Shakespeare's own shop from around 1907-1930. Information out there puts Geo. Varney in Michigan setting up their shop. They mfg. many other tackle items, so why not rods as well, manufacturing was their expertise.
Many of the Shaker models are standard off the shelf SB models, after 1930, that is why many people make that assumption. Especially on the lower grades.
Occasionally, it is hard to identify a good quality Shaker post 1930, and a few have been mis-ID'd in the past.
IMO, Ed

oldyankee
Guide

Post by oldyankee »

Thanks for the information guys.

oldyankee
Guide

Post by oldyankee »

I took this rod out for a cast today on the neighborhood pond. I have never used a bamboo rod before today. The rod casted great, what an amazing feeling...the slow,graceful tempo was relaxing. The rod has amazing flex and power to throw a WF6 into a stiff breeze. I am hooked on this rod. It had power but in a graceful presentation, if that makes sense. It will take a few trips to get use to the weight of the rod. I need a heavier reel to balance off the rod, think that will help.

TBurns

Post by TBurns »

Does anyone know the recommended line weight for a Shakespeare N 1363?

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”