peche a soie fly lines

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

mtn
Master Guide

Re: peche a soie fly lines

Post by mtn »

Any more input on these lines? I see it's been a while on this thread. I was thinking of trying one. I wondered if the felt true to weigh? Get some hours on yours Bob?
Mike

C.Berg

Post by C.Berg »

Do Peche a s Soie natural silk lines need less maintenance then J.P.Thebault or Terenzio natural silk lines? if so, why?

abingram
Master Guide

Post by abingram »

I bought one of their DT5 that soumds like the color Dr. Logic has. Cast very nice, not needing to break in much, but the only thing it cast better on my 4Wt rods. Thats ok, I have more 4wt dry fly rods to use it on than 5wts. Barry

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Odd that many silk lines seem to be on the light side?

perfesser
Guide

Post by perfesser »

Last edited by perfesser on 01/25/21 19:10, edited 1 time in total.

JFL
Guide

Post by JFL »

I always ask Phoenix about the weight of the line before I buy one. It the line is towards the low end of the class I want I pass. If it is towards the heavy end of the class I go with that one. Never gone wrong! :)
Jan Fredrik
www.paintthewater.com
Paintthewater.com © 2024

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

peche a soie fly lines

Post by ibookje »

JFL wrote:I always ask Phoenix about the weight of the line before I buy one. It the line is towards the low end of the class I want I pass. If it is towards the heavy end of the class I go with that one. Never gone wrong! :)
So get the DT6 if you want a 5 weight silk line?

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Personally I would not go up a line. I have 3 of the Prche a soie lines, all bought within the past 1.5 years, they are pretty true to weight. Another thing about these lines is they take up more space on the reel than the same weight rating Phoenix line. I have not checked if they are longer but it seems so. If anything I find with silk lines if I go down one line weight (lighter) vs what I would use with a plastic line they cast better. If I had a choice I’d go with the lighter line every time. If you have a few different silk lines try going down a line weight and see what you think about it. Last thing, I think these lines need some break in, they aren’t as supple and the front tapers are steeper and not as refined as the Phoenix lines which makes sense considering the price difference. These are good lines though I recommend them

JFL
Guide

Post by JFL »

ibookje wrote:
10/10/20 05:35
JFL wrote:I always ask Phoenix about the weight of the line before I buy one. It the line is towards the low end of the class I want I pass. If it is towards the heavy end of the class I go with that one. Never gone wrong! :)
So get the DT6 if you want a 5 weight silk line?
No, I want the corresponding class when buying a line, but in my experience there is a noticable difference in a #5 line that weighs 29 grams versus a #5 line that weighs 27.5 grams.
Jan Fredrik
www.paintthewater.com
Paintthewater.com © 2024

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Jan, 5 weight has a range going from 8.7 grams to 9.5 grams according to the AFTM line specifications so I don't get your 29 & 27.5 gram explanation.

It has been said many times here that Phoenix lines are on the light side of the AFTM rating. But maybe one line weight is 'more lighter' than others? So which ones are more on the spot?

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

ibookje wrote:
10/10/20 12:42
Jan, 5 weight has a range going from 8.7 grams to 9.5 grams according to the AFTM line specifications so I don't get your 29 & 27.5 gram explanation.
Weight of the first 30 ft (AFTMA standard) vs weight of the total line...

JFL
Guide

Post by JFL »

I am talking about the total weight of the line. 🙂
Jan Fredrik
www.paintthewater.com
Paintthewater.com © 2024

Dr. Heller
Sport

Post by Dr. Heller »

That means 0.05gr. per Meter, if the whole lengh of your line is 30 Meters. To feel that while casting is enormous.

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

Well, the average difference between a #4 and #5 line (AFTMA specs - first 30 ft without tip taper) is 1.3 g. This difference is easily felt during normal casting (lets say with anything from 20 - 50 feet out). The difference quote by JFL would be 0.5 g for the first 30 ft. If you can really feel the diff between a #4 and #5, the quoted difference should be noticeable as well - not major, but noticeable...

JFL
Guide

Post by JFL »

I can only speak for myself, but I can feel the difference in line weight when throwing. Some lines match a rod better than others. If that is the small difference in weight or the fact that these Phoenix lines are handmade and as such in some way unique in themselves I don't know. But I only fish DT lines and have come to love the higher weighted lines better than those on the bottom end of the scale.
Jan Fredrik
www.paintthewater.com
Paintthewater.com © 2024

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”