Of bamboo, bonefish and beaches

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

CaneCaster
Master Guide

Of bamboo, bonefish and beaches

Post by CaneCaster »

I thought I would share some photos and a report as such on a recent trip I took to Hawaii to deliver a rod to a friend, customer and all around good egg "Bonefish808" other wise known as Dean-o and once again partake in his tremendous local fishing.

Dean had commissioned me about a year and a half ago to make him a rod tailor made for his rather unique fishery, and like most of us here Dean chooses to fish cane for. Hawaii is of course a stunning place to fish and the bonefishing there has been described as "Varsity Level" bonefishing. The bones are big, not overly numerous, very spooky and the majority of the fishing is done on the reef rather than the flats where getting cut off on the coral is about a 60% chance if you are lucky enough to hook one of these awesome fish........ oh... and it is ALWAYS windy.... sometime not too bad, but other times it is almost blowing you off balance making accurate and delicate presentations difficult if not impossible for a greenhorn like myself..... that of course if I could even SEE a fish. The Locals have pretty good eyes for the fish but I found myself once again seeing maybe 15% of the fish that Dean-o spotted, even with him pointing out the fish. Like I said, total rookie called up the big show.

My 8wt and my Lei on the sand at first light on day 1...... I was so excited to get on the water when I took this photo.

So, back to the rod I made for Dean. After much discussion and with myself having had the experience of fishing in Hawaii last winter with Dean I figured I had a pretty good handle on the fish and fishing that he does day in and day out on Oahu and together we came up with what we felt would be the best tool for the job. The rod is called the "Salt Companion" tho we have playfully dubbed Dean's rod the "Bonefish Buddy" which I just couldn't bring myself to ink it to the rod shafts. The rod is a 3pc with 2 identical tip sections and 2 butt sections. With one butt section the rod assembles into an 11' 5wt 2 handed rod for windy conditions, blind casting/searching likely water or extremely long casts, with the second shorter butt section in play the rod is an 8'10" 8/9 wt singlehander with a short, fixed fighting butt for use in sight fishing Bonefish, less windy days or stripping streamers for Trevally or Barracuda. The rod is splice jointed, hollowbuilt, impregnated and built out with corrosion resistant hardware. I think that making a rod for another angler is just about the best thing ever..... but having the opportunity to deliver a rod in person, fish together and see the rod christened in it's new home in the hands of it's new partner is a whole other level entirely of awesomeness.

I arrived with an 11' 5/6 3pc two handed rod as well as an 8'9" 3pc 8wt. The 8wt was built out salt safe however the 11'er was not as it is a rod I use for summer steelhead and a few days in the salt, even with religious rinsing reeked havoc on the N/S stripping guides.

A few shots of Dean-o's Rod

And one of my 8wt

On the first day we fished, Dean strung up his new 11'er and I chose my singlehander....... It was one of the windiest days that we fished the whole trip and I was working pretty hard in waist deep water that day. It was pretty tough fishing but we both managed to find a willing taker. If I recall properly Dean's first fish on the new rod was a smallish Papio however it was not long before Dean hooked and skillfully landed a nice bonefish to properly break in the buddy.

Dean and I tagging a bonefish as part of the Hawaiian O'io (Bonefish) tag and release volunteer program in effect.

We fished together for the next 3 days and got together for another morning later in the week. It was a great time. We also fished with a random stranger named Aki that we met on the beach one day who was visiting from Japan. Aki used to live in HI and we were all stoked to fish together, tell stories of our local fishing and have a brew on the tailgate. On another day we also managed to fish together with Craig, another local boy, joker, regular fishing partner of Dean and just a great guy to be on the water with. I had delivered a rod to Craig the year prior, a Salt Special 8'8" 8wt. So that day there were 3 cane rods out on the reef, how cool is that!

3 bamboo rods waiting for 3 friends to hit the water together.

The reef/flats are large in many areas and there are plenty of other fishes cruising around besides the bonefish..... For instance this reef shark..... while Dean assured me that these were not a danger.... I remained somewhat sceptical ;)
occasionally looking over my shoulder to see what else might be swimming up behind me.

On this trip, with some experience behind me from my first time fishing with these guys last year in HI I felt like at least I knew a little bit about where and how to fish the reef and I was rewarded a few times per day with scream of the reel for my efforts. Dean of course managed to generally out fish me by about 2 to 1 as would be expected from a angler with Dean's skill and knowledge.... while I fully relied on luck and some form of cosmic universal pity.

My best fish of the trip, a 25" bright Hawaiian O'io! I think this fish would have gone about 6.5-7lbs.... a good fish by any standard!

One late afternoon on a low tide Dean and I were out toward the edge of the reef and wading deep both driving our best 100'+ hero casts out into the waves in the hopes of enticing the big fish that cruise thru this area. We were getting our chances and the bite seemed "on". I broke off 2 good fish back to back when they struck the fly despite brand new tippet. Dean yells over to my what tippet am I using and I holler back "Maxima", to which he replies "what weight?" so I say "8lb"....... Dean just starts laughing out loud! "8lb????" he says..... "are you crazy or something?" ..... I'm dumbfounded.... So I ask.... "what U using?". Dean says "20lb".... He graciously offers me a spool of 15lb but feeling a little foolish and proud I say that I'm "ok" with my tiny tippet. not one minute later after re-rigging my tippet and fly once again another fish hits my fly and busts me off!.... So I wade over to Dean, tail between my legs and ask to borrow that 15lb :) shortly after that, the best "bite" session I had during the trip was over and i blown all my chances. Lesson learned!

Here is a picture of me enjoying all the Hawaii has to offer a fella!

Some bent cane! This fish proved to be not in the cards for me. After about a 200' run he promptly wrapped me around a coral head and cut me off, shredding my leader in the process..... Bonefishing in Hawaii is great for boning up on your knots! hahaha.

And once last shot. this one was about a 3-4lb BarJack Trevally/Papio that took 4 swipes at my fly before I finally got a hook set on him, then it was on and he gave me a great fight! they play very differently from the bonefish with lots of directional changes and head shakes... something I am much more familiar playing. One the very next cast following landing this fish I hooked another slightly smaller Jack and Dean informed me that they sometimes travel in pairs and it is not unusual to catch them back to back like that. Who among us does not like 2 for 1 fishing!

All in, An outstanding trip, with awesome fishing, stellar company and some of the best Sushi I have had ever.

Cheers Dean, Craig and the rest of the clan for a great winter break! Already looking forward to next year!!

Hopefully Dean will chime in here with a few other photos and his side of the story!

Cheers and tight lines.
James
Last edited by CaneCaster on 03/08/15 13:26, edited 2 times in total.

jhuskey
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Of bamboo, bonefish and beaches

Post by jhuskey »

Wow James, just an outstanding trip and report about it! Thanks very much for sharing it, helps relieve the "Winter blues". :D

sevilla315
Master Guide

Post by sevilla315 »

Fabulous report and trip James.
Hmm, I have relatives in Hawaii, maybe I should be looking them up! Unfortunately the only salt proof one I have of yours is the SR6 11'3, I bet the bones would put a bend in that one!
S

CaneCaster
Master Guide

Post by CaneCaster »

Glad you guys liked the report. I had such a good time, any winter blues I had.... are now long gone!

Steve. Your SR6 is perfect for the job. Dean and I were both fishing 11'ers with 350 scandi heads and 10' intermediate polys. This is a great setup to deal with the wind, the heavier flies and deep wading. You should call on those relatives ;)

J.

quashnet
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by quashnet »

I felt so energized and excited by this report that I went right outside and shoveled more snow for another half hour. Great story!

foothills fly fisher
Guide

Post by foothills fly fisher »

Great stuff James! Glad to hear you guys had a big time!
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

RWHoffhines
Master Guide

Post by RWHoffhines »

Terrific James! I love seeing bamboo in exotic places. I ought to take that amazing 8wt you made for me down for some Miami peacocks.
BTW, that rod has garnered TONS of raves around Chicagoland!

wannabe
Guide

Post by wannabe »

Fantastic James. Glad you landed a few big bones. i, too, love to play the role of novice; great excuse for a return trip next year with a spool of 20lb tippet, some slightly different tinted shades, and another year of experience to try your hand again.

As everyone else has said, those pics are a great tonic after a long, cold winter.

Bret

ARTHURK
Master Guide

Post by ARTHURK »

Beautiful rods, wonderful friendship, exciting trip, awesome fish. Makes me wanna hit the beach.... We share the same ocean but no bones here;-p Thanks for sharing James.

Arthur

thegubster
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by thegubster »

James, James, James...

Man, what a superb post!! In every way. Your trip reports are every bit as good as those rods you make. What a lift I got reading this.

You were treated to so much good "schtuff" on your trip. Your friends, some extra good company as well as some wonderful fishing opportunities, even though it was a bit rough, likely more than you actually let on, eh! Ya done good man, really good.

Excellent report James.

Hey, you should stick around awhile................... :lol

Jeremy.

CaneCaster
Master Guide

Post by CaneCaster »

Thanks Boys! I'm happy to hear that you guys all enjoyed reading the report.

Mr. Hoffhines.
That's awesome to hear brother! I am very fond of that rod, in fact the 3pc salt water rod I took with me pictured above is the same rod taper..... you should definitely take it fishing for peacocks!

Bret.
It is a total blast to step outside your normal fishing and try your hand at something completely different and as you say "play the novice". It is akin to discovering fishing again as a child, kinda ;) Thank you again for the beauty of a reel to match to my 11'er for this trip and those in the future! 3 coasts in this thread it would seem!

ArthurK.
Well said man, well said. It was a great time for everyone I think and while you may have no bones.... no doubt the beach where you are is a blast to fish.

Jeremy.
Stoked you got a lift from this post brother and there certainly was no shortage of good "schtuff" happening on this trip. I'll stick around for as long as I can ;)

Cheers and tight lines.
James

ddray
Sport

Post by ddray »

Great report James. I always love your in shop rod photo's, but I'm diggin the pic of your three rods on the beach ready to go with good friends. Looks and sounds like fun, way to go!!!

Darrin

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Great report. I love the rods.
I fished Oahu once -- for one day. I don't remember the geography that well but when we were unable to find fish, the guy I was with called a buddy in the Naval Reserve who got us onto Hickam Flats. I fished a 9-foot St. Croix graphite and a 9-foot Orvis bamboo. The only bonefish I hooked was on the bamboo -- it took off like a shot, and right after going into the backing it wrapped itself around a piece of coral and nicely sliced the leader. I had been warned to keep the rod tip up, but you know...I was excited.
The old hangars at Hickam still bear scars from the Pearl Harbor attack, and there are still "tank traps" embedded on the flats from the days when a Japanese landing was expected.
The craziest thing was that a few hundred yards from where I was fishing, a big Navy ship went by (some kind of tender, I think) -- and its wake sucked literally most of the water off the flat. When it came flooding back, the guide said, OK, the fishing here is over because the bonefish are long gone.

Someday, I plan to go back and try again. Thanks for this post; hopefully it will help me avoid making the same mistakes again (hah)!

CaneCaster
Master Guide

Post by CaneCaster »

ddray.
cheers brother, it was such a good day with the 3 of us out together. Craig was even getting trevally to take swipes at his popper!

Teter.
Those fish run with incredible power and speed for their size. I am blown away each time I have hooked one at how far and fast they go, and never changing direction or speed..... it really leaves a fella wondering if the fish is ever going to stop!

Thank-you for the kind words on the rods as well guys!

Cheers.
J.

Kenneth
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Kenneth »

James, NICE!

I lived for 3 years on an island in the Central Pacific and had my fill, and then some, of bonefish and other assorted critters, but never on bamboo. What a blast you had, it makes me seriously rethink the rods I'll be bringing for this year's tropical fishing trip...

Thanks much for sharing and for lighting up an otherwise dreary Tuesday afternoon (yes, it does get gray and gloomy in Rome),
Kenneth

bonefish808
Sport

Post by bonefish808 »

The way this tale started was in a faraway place on an all expense government funded camping trip. I quickly learned that one of the deadliest combinations on the face of the earth for ones pocketbook is hours and hours of mind numbing boredom, a credit card, and the internet. During one of my sessions in an attempt to google to the end of the internet I ran across a posting that this “dude” James Reid was building bamboo fly rods, and more specifically two handed bamboo fly rods. At that time I did not think much about it but noticed that he was building a fan base that were giving high remarks. When I got back from my voyage, I looked James up after finding his newly built website. I looked at all his rod offerings to figure out what would be the ideal bamboo rod to fish in Hawaii. The rod that stood out to me the most was the 8883 Salt Special. I gave James an initial ring on the phone to chat about his thoughts on the rod and our local fishing conditions and he said that it would be a good fit. I wasn’t able to send my deposit right away to save my place in the bamboo build line, but told him after I made payment on a rod that was in-bound I would let him know. That evening I texted my buddy Craig about what rod I was going to buy. After Craig checked out the rod, I found out the following day that he stole my idea and sent in his deposit. At that time the wait was approximately 6 months. By the time I send my deposit it was up to 1 ½ years.

Sometime during my long wait, James had completed the Salt 8883 ordered by Craig, and as luck would have it, he was scheduled to be in the Islands with his family. I asked if he could swing couple days for a side trip to Oahu. The justification would be that he needed to deliver Craig's rod but the underlying reason was to find time to fish new waters. I was ecstatic when I heard that he could make it, but more so since he said he was bringing a bunch of rods for us to try. It was a blast showing him around our fishery.

viewtopic.php?f=65&t=74169

One of the rods that James brought down during his that visit was an 11ft 5wt double handed rod which really got the gear in my brain churning. When James notified me that my number in the line was coming up I was really stoked but I had to really think about what rod I wanted him to build. I was torn between a single-handed rod for sight fishing bonefish and a double-handed rod for everything else I do. James put an end to my turmoil by suggesting I get one of his newly designed “companion rods”. I asked him what that was and when he explained I was gung-ho over the idea. I was familiar with the concept since I have two of what Bob Meiser calls a “conversion rod”. What it boils down to is you can have two very different rods by switching out various parts. The Salt Companion rod has a total of 5 pieces (two identical tips, a middle section, and two different butts) that can be configured into a 2 piece single-handed rod or a 3 piece double handed rod. Once all the specifics for the rod was ironed out I left James to work on the rod. He provided me occasional updates on the progress of the rod that kept my eyeball popping out of its sockets. Eventually he let me know that the rod was completed and if he wanted me to have it sent. I had been trying to convince him during the year that he needed to come back to Hawaii to deliver my rod in person. I must have twisted it really hard since he was able to pull it off. With the dates locked in on the calendar, I told him the only way I wanted to christen such a fabulous rod was while we fished together.

Prior to his trip to Hawaii I read on a blog by Todd Hirano that they got to fish together in Oregon

http://toddhirano.blogspot.com/2015/02/ ... clave.html

During that trip I read that he encountered challenging fishing conditions but as always he made the most of the trip. When I thought about how it was last year, I remembered we had to endure many days of super high winds, “cold” temperatures, and occasional heavy tropical downpours. I was hoping James wasn’t planning on bring the bad fishing conditions with him to Hawaii. After what felt like an eternity, the dates for James’s arrival came and went.
Couple of the high notes of the trip was the initial unveiling of my new rod. The nickname he gave that rod was Dean’s Bonefish Buddy, which is prefect since it has now become my most favorite rod to fish.

(Photo of Bonefish Buddy)

Getting to break in the new rod by catching a bunch of cool fish with the builder of the rod. I can tell there was much love and aloha put into building the rod which made it an extra special time.

(Photo of first bonefish on new rod)

(Photo James hooked into his first bone of the trip)

(Photo James nice Hawaiian bone)

(Photo White Trevally)

(Photo Bluefin Trevally)

(Photo White Goatfish)

(Photo First Moana Kali on the fly)

(Photo cool colors)

(Photo Lizardfish)

Meeting new friends Aki and Elliot along the way and inviting one of them fish with us. We got to fish with Aki “AKA” Bonefish Sandbagger that caught his bonefish within 10 minutes at the start of the day. The inside joke was that we were making fun of him since we suspected he fished the rest of the day without a fly so we would invite him again next time he was back in town.

(Photo making new friends)

(Photo Aki AKA "Bonefish Sandbagger" with Bluefin Trevally)

Tagging several bonefish that James caught.

(Photo James hooked up again)

(Photo James with another bone)

(Photo James on board with Bonefish Tagging Program)

Three Bamboo Bonefish Buddies (James, Craig, and myself) fishing together all with James Reid rods. We were all supposed to christen our bamboo rods but to date I think Craig can still sell his rods as “mint condition; lightly fished”. I better not give Craig a hard time since he could only fish with us one afternoon. Sorry no photos since I forgot my camera.

Showing James the beauty of our Islands.

(Photo more Hawaiian Bones)

(Photo James soaking in Aloha)

(Photo raw bamboo with final product)

(Photo urban fly fishing)

Catching the fabled "monster bones of Hawaii" that everyone hears about.

(Photo monster 13 inch bone)

Fishing hard every day, of which many of our fishing days starting off at the sound of Reveille, and ended our days at the sound of Retreat.

(Photo early morning)

(Photo getting close to end of day)

(Photo end of another perfect day in paradise)

One of the most abundant winter visitors to the Hawaiian Islands is the Kolea or Pacific Golden Plover. This is an interesting seabird that breeds in the high Arctic on Siberian and Alaskan coasts.

(Photo Kolea wintering in Hawaii)

These birds, using precise navigation, make a direct flight from Alaska to Hawaii across 2,700 miles of open Pacific to return to the same winter territory each winter. Like the Kolea, I am hoping the seed has been planted that James and wife Emily will make that faithful annual winter trip to Hawaii to get some sun, fun, and fish.

Dean-O

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

Gorgeous pictures and a great report. It lifts my spirits.

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”