Ron Barch 88

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

Richard Essegian
Master Guide

Ron Barch 88

Post by Richard Essegian »

I know there are a number of us that have made Ron Barchs 88 taper. This is an extremely fun rod to fish. Its also my go to rod when fishing for smallmouth. I have it lined with a WF 7wt from H&H. I like the line but feel like it could be loaded a little more through out the casting that I do.

Wondering which lines you guys are throwing on yours.

Thanks
Richard

mcsteff
Master Guide

Re: Ron Barch 88

Post by mcsteff »

6 wt Rio Classic or 7 wt SYLK

munsey w
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by munsey w »

Rich- the best line I have found is the Rio bass taper in a 6wt...the Orvis Hydros WF6 works well too. I almost gave up on this rod due to underlining it...it needs a heavy front taper line to really load it up. Let's meet in Virginia on a smallmouth stream and I'll Let you try my lines out :)

Munsey

brums
Sport

Post by brums »

I love this rod!!!

I use an Orvis Bass taper and a Rio Lumalux in 6#.

fragmentum
Master Guide

Post by fragmentum »

Just finished my first '88' and it is as fast a boo rod as may have come off my bench. It is a powerful hex taper and was pretty impressed at how it loads and throws a 5wt line, either WF or DT. 6wt line loads great on this taper as well but haven't built up the courage to strap on a 7wt yet! Can't wait to actually get it on the water. I'll definitely make more of these!

jan96
Master Guide

Post by jan96 »

Is this the right "Barch 88" taper? Measures across flats are in millimeters. I have it for years and I can't decide to built it or not. The "thing" that bothers me is the "hinge like" step in the taper at 20''!
r :)

trland
Master Guide

Post by trland »

I looked at the taper that I plugged into Hexrod when I made this taper and it doesn’t have a severe dip like that. You can double check the numbers in this thread post #16 by Ron Barch: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=69492&hilit=Ron+Barch+88#p573254

Your 20” dimension should be 0.138” or 3.5mm not 3.3.

mcsteff
Master Guide

Post by mcsteff »

Ron has made a few iterations (improvements?) to his original taper. I think mine was based off his second called the Shelbyville 88 which of course after I had finished it he told me he had improved it again. I like mine; it handles a 6 or a lighter 7 for me (Silk 7). My graph does not have a pronounced hinge and is otherwise as smooth as yours. I doubt if Ron is following this site anymore but give him a call at Alder Creek Publishing (google it) and have a chat with him, a nicer fellow you will not meet. Good luck and have a go. Mark

jan96
Master Guide

Post by jan96 »

trland wrote:I looked at the taper that I plugged into Hexrod when I made this taper and it doesn’t have a severe dip like that. You can double check the numbers in this thread post #16 by Ron Barch: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=69492&hilit=Ron+Barch+88#p573254

Your 20” dimension should be 0.138” or 3.5mm not 3.3.
Thank you very much trland! :) I took my notes of the taper numbers exactly from that thread, but I obviously missed the number eight!!! My notes were 20''= .130 instead of .138! :o
Now I like the graph and will make the rod. For the next - 2021 fishing season, the 2020 is lost because of the coronavirus!

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

If you like that taper, you'd probably also like the Phillipson DFS...

jan96
Master Guide

Post by jan96 »

henkverhaar wrote:If you like that taper, you'd probably also like the Phillipson DFS...
Are they similar/equal?

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”