Granger and Goldens OR Bamboo at 8500': a bucket list trip

This board is for discussing concerns of fishing bamboo fly rods. Examples would be, lines, actions, classic and modern makers actions and the like.

Moderators: pmcroberts, uniphasian

EastslopesTH
Master Guide

Granger and Goldens OR Bamboo at 8500': a bucket list trip

Post by EastslopesTH »

I was one of two fortunate individuals to accompany a fish'n buddy on a one day fly fishing adventure (a birthday gift from his wonderful wife) to one of Alberta's few lakes containing Golden Trout. The location was lower Michelle Lake near (but not in) the north end of Banff National Park. Perched at 8500' above sea level, lower Michelle Lake is one of the few lakes in Alberta with self-sustaining populations following the introduction of the species decades ago.

The day started leaving the only motel in Nordegg, Alberta and making our way west on HWY 11 (aka the David Thompson HWY):

The early morning weather looked far more promising than the heavy rain we experienced the day before.

The further west we drove, the more prominent the blue sky became:

Yet the fog was a reminder that the area received significant precipitation the day prior:

Once at the Heli Company at Cline River, we prepared for the short flight ahead. All the while, we were wondering how much snow had fallen at higher elevations:

The birthday Boy got to ride shotgun and videoed the flight, while us two tag-along's took it all in from the back seat:

Before we knew it we were in the air:

What a view of the Canadian Rockies:

Doesn't take long to realize how big this place really is:

Doesn't take long to realize how insignificant we are:

The knowledgeable pilot was able to point out and name most of the significant peaks:

Soon we were hovering over our fish'n hole for the day:

Ah, but we were not to be alone today as others have arrived during the first morning heli run:

And, we were greeted by fresh snow:

The eager participants wasted no time:

Packs were put down and rods quickly assembled:

Several bamboo rods accompanied us on this trip including three rods from Dennis Stone blanks (a 7'9" 5wt Cascade, a 7'6" 4wt Granger taper and an 8' 4wt FET taper) and a ca. 1939 Goodwin Granger Special 8642 I recently restored:

While I fished bamboo exclusively, the others did use graphite in addition to trying the various bamboo rods:

This is a stunning little alpine lake about 1000' above tree line:

The outfall of the lake plunges 900' in the Cline River valley below:

The birthday boy didn't waste time:

He figured out quickly that small streamers fished with a dead sink along the steep drop-offs were the order of the day:

While many anglers coming here are just happy to get one or two fish in a day, all of us in our party (as well as the other group) were more than successful:

The fish far exceeded our expectations in number and beauty:

And before you knew it the day was coming to an end. We were content with our first trip to this little gem of a lake:

The departing scenery didn't disappoint either:

Almost back to civilization (Abraham Reservoir):

And back to reality:

My lingering question from all this: if you intend to do something again and perhaps again, does it qualify for the bucket list?
Last edited by EastslopesTH on 09/19/17 23:16, edited 10 times in total.

Ricinus
Guide

Re: Granger and Goldens OR Bamboo at 8500': a bucket list tr

Post by Ricinus »

Thanks for a great story, Ron..

Cheers
Mike

EastslopesTH
Master Guide

Post by EastslopesTH »

Glad you liked it Mike. Hope your season is going well.

Ron

specialk
Sport

Post by specialk »

What an amazing trip. Thanks for sharing with all of us. That is certainly God's country.

searun
Master Guide

Post by searun »

Purdy Purdy place!

I'm curious.
A self sustaining population; did you see an inlet stream where the trout spawn?

Thanks for taking us along for the ride.

nativebrownie
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by nativebrownie »

Thank you for the morning lift... beautiful & so, so special. Wonderfully told and the pics do capture the stunning beauty of your day... what memories you will have...

Lhgann
Guide

Post by Lhgann »

Absolute bucket list! Great read with a.m. coffee! Thanks

EastslopesTH
Master Guide

Post by EastslopesTH »

searun wrote:Purdy Purdy place!

I'm curious.
A self sustaining population; did you see an inlet stream where the trout spawn?

Thanks for taking us along for the ride.
That's a good question. There is a stream running from the base of a waterfall that drops down from the upper lake basin - upper Michelle Lake. Supposedly, there is still fish in upper Michelle but fewer as it does not have an inlet.

Nativebrownie & Lhgann: glad you liked it. I don't normally share trip pics to this extent, but in preparing for this trip I discovered very little on the internet about this place. I had to share this with the bamboo forum.

Cheers,

Ron

fisheye444
Master Guide

Post by fisheye444 »

Absolutely inspiring. I think I'm calling in sick tomorrow.

spruce grouse
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by spruce grouse »

Wow. Great story and stunning photos. Worth it just for the heli ride IMO. Although, I don't understand why they'd name a highway for a guy who played basketball at NC State in the 70s.

OldCane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by OldCane »

One thing I always miss about the west (both US & Canada) is the open spaces and high country beauty. Thanks for sharing!
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a DD214.

Doug K
Master Guide

Post by Doug K »

wonderful trip, thank you..

curious what the hike in there would be like, apparently it is like this,
" The Michelle Lake hike, which leads up and over a high pass, across an alpine ridge before a long scramble down loose scree, is not for the faint of heart. Both of these hikes take 9 to 14 hours. "
So, a long hard day in, fish a day, long hard day out.. that helicopter looks pretty good.

I have caught Goldens in the high Sierras, but not on bamboo. Dammit, I'll have to go back ;-)

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Great stuff! Nicely done in all respects.

Certainly a day trip not soon forgotten!

Scott
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Sorry for the duplicate post!
Last edited by Flyman615 on 08/26/15 13:03, edited 1 time in total.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

EastslopesTH
Master Guide

Post by EastslopesTH »

Thanks for the comments Fellas.

Spruce Grouse: Not sure if he played basketball. Actually not sure the game was invented yet, but he did map out much of the area in the early 1800's.

Doug K: yes the Owen Creek trail is most direct from the valley floor at HWY 11 just outside the Banff Park gates. It is about 9 hours with plenty of scree slopes to traverse. The other trails are much longer. The Heli company shuttles more hikers who want to day-hike the various plateaus and multi-day backpackers hiking the Continental Divide Trail than fishermen.
Some guys fly in, fish for several days, then fly out. You camp in the meadow between upper and lower Michelle Lakes.

Kenneth
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Kenneth »

I'm lost for words. Nope, found one. WOW!

Thanks for sharing,
Kenneth

PS: I looked at your photos on photobucket. Had to, to appreciate better those mountain majesties.

wefishcane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wefishcane »

Thanks for sharing. Beautiful colors on those goldens. Reminds me of trips into the Sierras.

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Ron, the trip looked to be spectacular! I was meaning to write you to see how it turned out. Seems better than expected even! Those are some beautiful fish.

Much appreciated to enjoy the wonderful photos!

Have yourself an equally great fall Ron, see you next year.

Cheers

Adrien

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

The pictures are stunning and it looks like a fantastic experience. We stayed near Banff a few years ago -- it was beautiful, all right -- but my fishing was farther south, in the Bow outside Calgary.

EastslopesTH
Master Guide

Post by EastslopesTH »

Gentlemen:

It was my pleasure to share this with you. As you may very well imagine, I took many many more pics on that trip.

Adrien: The trip was better than expected in terms of fish numbers - the stunning views were anticipated. :)
My understanding is that anglers can expect to catch one or two fish in a day. This wasn't the case for us as the three of us combined for 30+ fish that day.

Generally fishing hasn't been the best in much of the Bow River system as very low water levels and associated high water temps resulted in Fish and Wildlife placing a no angling order on the main stem river and some tributaries to protect fish health. Actually I applaud this course of action under these circumstances. Now that things are cooling off and we've received precipitation, angling opportunities have returned to normal.

I'm off to the Crowsnest region in a week to get some dry fly fishing for cutts. ;)

Cheers,

Ron

Return to “Fishing Bamboo Fly Rods”