Binding thread sticking

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

albertatroutguy
Sport

Binding thread sticking

Post by albertatroutguy »

I have had trouble with my binding thread sticking after glueing up my sticks using a 4 stringer binder The thread would break every few turns when trying to unwrap it. I tried talcum power but still had problems. I had some bag balm (Vaseline) in my shop and used it to coat the spools of thread. That seems to work at keeping thread from not sticking with the glue to the blank. Do I have to worry about staining the blank with Vaseline? I can’t see any problems so far. I guess I’ll find out when I get to finishing the rod

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Binding thread sticking

Post by henkverhaar »

DOn't try to unwrap after glueing I would say. I did unwrap when using cascamite (UF type glue) although it was a pain in the behind, but with epoxy it is a definite no-go. I just sand the thread off, with the glue...

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

That is why a "glace" thread is recommended. The glaze prevents the glue from penetrating. Look for a Hand Quilting thread, poly/cotton with a glace finish. In my experience, it comes right off regardless of the glue that I use.

fragmentum
Master Guide

Post by fragmentum »

Russ over at Golden Witch has been offering glace cotton thread. You can order it on the 24th or later. They are closed for now....

https://www.goldenwitch.com/product/binding-threads/

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

What kind of glue are you using? If you use epoxy - talcum powder will allow the thread and glue to come right off after a heat kick. It’s crazy easy & efficient - 20 mins after the blank cools, which is all you need to tidy up the ghost of the glue with a scraper, you can ferrule it if you want. No need to wait for days for it to dry and then deal with getting that hard glue and string off.

Otherwise for any other glue just scrape the string and glue off in one whack. Truck is to leave a little enamel as a buffer for the glue scrape.

albertatroutguy
Sport

I'm using Endfast epoxy. Maybe talcum powder doesn't have talcum in it anymore. Anyways the Vaseline(bag balm) seems to works well and it doesn't seem to stain the bamboo. I will find out for sure when I go to dip a rod in a month. I will see if I can find glace thread locally.

Tim Anderson
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tim Anderson »

I also use UHU Plus Endfest 300 epoxy and have been at least one of the sources for the how talcum powder can help with removing string. In my case, the powder (corn starch works, too) gets applied when rolling the glued up and bound blank with Marzio Giglio's straightening boards prior to heat setting the glue. Just as BigTJ says, the binding thread just peals right off. The binding thread I use is 20lb-test dacron kite string. Unlike cotton-based thread, there are no fuzzy fibers sticking out to bind with the epoxy.

Tim

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

I use endfest UHU and Johnson and Johnson baby powder and cotton thread. Maybe try sprinkling it more liberally? You rod should look like those white donuts.

Check out Tim’s article on straightening boards too I think it’s in the Italian rod Akers journal. Use those and a heat kick. Life will be much better. Straight sections minimal glue removal and cured blanks ready to go 40 mins after glue up.

John

Mike McGuire
Master Guide

Post by Mike McGuire »

I use flour instead of talc--works fine. I don't think there is any magical chemistry going on with talc or flour, just simple absorption. Probably any dry powder that will absorb glue will work.

Actually it was Marzio Gigli's article in the Italian Rodmakers Joural.

Mike
A Selection of my DIY Rodmaking Tools

Tim Anderson
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tim Anderson »

Tim Anderson wrote:
02/23/21 13:50
the binding thread just peals right off.
Sorry, it peels off. No pealing of bells. Mike is right, it's Marzio's article in the IBRA Bamboo Journal.

Tim

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Bad memory on my end bottom line the article will help

fragmentum
Master Guide

Post by fragmentum »

I made a tutorial about the straightening boards and has Marzio Giglio's blessing. That tutorial along with many other presentations given at our Virtual Rodmakers Gatherings can be found here: http://bamboorodmaking.com/VRG/

If you are interested in attending our VRG Zoom sessions, Contact Lowell Davis through this form and request attendance information: http://bamboorodmaking.com/VRG/Contact.html

Straightening boards:
http://bamboorodmaking.com/VRG/20201114 ... oards.html

albertatroutguy
Sport

Thank you Don that was a great presentation. Could you use those boards on a one piece rod if the were 8 feet long?

fragmentum
Master Guide

Post by fragmentum »

albertatroutguy wrote:
02/24/21 13:41
Thank you Don that was a great presentation. Could you use those boards on a one piece rod if the were 8 feet long?
I think they would be effective on a one piece that long.
You could make your straightening boards 6 feet long and be effective the top 6 feet of your 8 foot rod. I think the bottom or butt end of your rod would still be OK.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”