MADE a new rod lately?

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

fisheye444
Master Guide

MADE a new rod lately?

Post by fisheye444 »

A sister thread to "Got a new rod lately" . . .

Wondering if anyone is willing to share what they are working on at the moment - pics would be great too.

Personally, I just finished gluing up another Gillum taper (just waiting now for the hardware to arrive!!!). Also finished planing out a Granger 8040.

I'll post pics once there is something more than sticks to look at.

jayhake
Guide

MADE a new rod lately?

Post by jayhake »

Three things...

1) a Heddon #20 restore, currently being wrapped.
2) a 7'9" 4wt Quad. Self designed taper. Blank is glued.
3) a Dickerson 8014 Guide (modified). Nothing but split strips.
Last edited by jayhake on 01/07/08 07:53, edited 1 time in total.

tapermaker
Master Guide

MADE a new rod lately?

Post by tapermaker »

Just sold a 7030 taper with old granger hardware. have a perfectionist almost finished wrapping. two 4pc. 7'9" travel rod blanks. three culms split for blank orders.

oldfishbrain
Bamboo Fanatic

MADE a new rod lately?

Post by oldfishbrain »

Last winter after I finished my planned rods I had enough cane left over, and decided to attempt a Baby Catskill one tipper. I wanted to see if I could plane the 54 thou tips. I stuck to the original specs in terms of the length and size of the grip with no winding check and the tiny reel seat with a cork check made from the same wood as the spacer (olive). Also a regular snake for a stripping guide.

I fished it for a number of outings last season (when the day was calm enough) and I am so delighted with it that I decided to make another one this winter as well as a second tip for last winter's rod. This time I will dress it up a bit with a 7mm agate stripper guide and a slightly longer reel seat so I am not limited to reels that have a shorter than 2" foot. The Hardy flyweight foot is too long for the original seat.
The new rod and extra tip is glued and scraped as is one of the other rods that I am making this year, a 7ft 4wt of one of Chris Bogart's tapers that I am making for my brothe who lives in Greece. Our plan for this coming spring is to fish some of the streams of Northern Greece.
The third rod is my first one piece, the 6ft 4wt Smidgen. The splines are planed and will be getting glued tomorrow night. Looking forward to it.
Nodeless Light Line Cane Rods
avardanis@sympatico.ca

greendrake ll
Bamboo Fanatic

MADE a new rod lately?

Post by greendrake ll »

Currently working on a Dickerson 6611. The roughed out strips languished on a shelf in the shop for a little over 8 months because of restoration work on rods for customers.Finally got the final taper planed and glued up the weekend after Christmas.I told Tightlines and Chip Node at the FYAO outing on New Years day that I could tell I was really getting old as I spent New Years eve scrapping the glue and string off and sanding the blank down instead of partying. Got one of the tips wrapped today while I was watching the football playoffs.It'll all be done in plenty of time for spring fishing if not for some late winter fishing.Can't wait.

driftless
Sport

MADE a new rod lately?

Post by driftless »

Presently, I'm doing varnish work on a Driggs River, planing out a Paul Young Midge and splitting cane for a Dickerson 6611 and a special one-weight rod for a friend.

Paul

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

MADE a new rod lately?

Post by canerodscom »

Several projects in the works right now, as almost always. First, I am finishing up the BRC 2007 Presentation Rod. I think you guys will like the pictures when I get finished. Second, I have two additional dark colored 8' 3/2 #5's on the bench, my taper. Also, two 8' 3/2 #3's. I'm almost finished with some cosmetic repairs to a Hans Schlect two piece rod which belongs to a friend. I'm restoring a PHY rod and a Winston rod. And I have ten rod's worth of cane split and staggered, ready to be roughed out and heat treated.

Harry

booyah
Guide

MADE a new rod lately?

Post by booyah »

I use January as rod and fly month, so I have "projects" all over my work room. I am currently re-wrapping the Heddon mystery rod, the 9ft 5wt. that just says R.J.R. and Heddon (if any of you know anything about this rod, let me know). I am doing a complete restore on an 8' 4wt of questionable lineage for a friend, and installing a dip tank in the floor.

Marc
http

troutwings
Guide

MADE a new rod lately?

Post by troutwings »

Three on the bench right now. A 7'9", 3 piece, 6wt Andy Klys taper: A 7'9", 3 piece, 5/6 wt, Gillum taper, this one I've got to strip and rewrap(varnish migrated under the color preserved wraps) and a Para-14 one tip for me.

Dennis

Chip Node
Guide

MADE a new rod lately?

Post by Chip Node »

Current projects include redoing an Orvis 4 3/4oz upgrading the striping guide in the process. Then there is a Dickerson 801610 on the bench, butt and mid strips planed, form set to start on the tips. Since reading Whittle and Harms book will make another mid and tip section to use with my P149 rod butt using Marinaro's convex taper theories, strips have been roughed out. Then, possibly a Hollow Built Dickerson 8012 or 6611 with a swelled butt(still haven't gotten around to that one)? Tim

Very interesting thread!

fisheye444
Master Guide

MADE a new rod lately?

Post by fisheye444 »

Dennis - Got the same Gillum taper on the bench as well! Are you putting 12/64 and 16/64 ferrules on it? Never found out what it called for, just going by the measurements I have.

What colors are you wrapping it in? This is what the last one I built out looked like:

Bones

SnooKen
Master Guide

MADE a new rod lately?

Post by SnooKen »

Currently sanding out the blank on my first rod, a Dickerson 8013. Used a good friend's forms, tools & coaching. Doing this project has deepend my respect for all of you makers and the art and skills that go into your craft. Ken

Lee Koch
Bamboo Fanatic

MADE a new rod lately?

Post by Lee Koch »

This is a great thread!

Caught its first fish today on a hollow Payne 98 7ft 4wt bamboo-ferruled rod. Harry B has cast this rod compared to his NS ferruled 98. Taking that metal ferrule out makes a difference.

Image Just finished up an 8013 but with a different geometry - instead of a regular hex, it's made of 3 small triangles and 3 more twice as big. Looks like a weird triangle with the sharp corners cut off. Only have photos of the cut-offs so far, which explain the geometry pretty well. Casts like an 8013.

Next rods? Harry's version of Martha Marie's Perfectionist (courtesy Banjo)? A 7ft or 7-1/2ft 4wt 3pc travel rod? Anybody have a good taper suggestion? A 7ft 4wt Winston taper that Steve W had at CRR last year?

All the best,

Lee
Almightyrod.com

2 Bead Pupa
Guide

MADE a new rod lately?

Post by 2 Bead Pupa »

Just finished up an 8 1/2' 2/2 penta based on a Lenard taper . I wish I could post some pictures . Lee , that's some pretty cool work you've done there . What have you added to the end of your female ferrule ? Is it a NS band ? Russ

SnooKen
Master Guide

MADE a new rod lately?

Post by SnooKen »

Lee: That is an impressively slender ferrule. Nice work! Your variable geometry hex is even more intriguing. How did you come up with the concept and, as the presumed originator, what are you going to call it? Really like the way the wider flats show off the cane. Ken

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

MADE a new rod lately?

Post by canerodscom »

Thanks Lee for giving us a look at the six-sided triangular construction. I sure hope you have it with you next time we get together, I'd love to try that one out.

And yes, the bamboo ferruled Payne 98 (ish) taper makes a great rod. It's really hard to say that we might have improved on Jim Payne's work, but that is a great rod.

Might as well throw in a picture or two of my latest creations -- a couple of hollow built 8' 6" 3/2 #5's. I think I have this one nailed.

Harry

Chip Node
Guide

MADE a new rod lately?

Post by Chip Node »

Also Lee, which flat does the guides go on, wide or smaller strip side? Now that is thinking outside the box! Very interesting design, curious how it effects casting dynamics! Possibly after you have fished it a while maybe you would be willing to share with us what may be it's pro's and con's. Thanks, Tim

Lee Koch
Bamboo Fanatic

MADE a new rod lately?

Post by Lee Koch »

The NS ring on the 98 is a hex winding check turned around backwards. Most of the bamboo ferrule rods you see don't have that, but I was jumpy about fragility. I think the risk isn't that it splits out while joined together and being cast, but rather when disassembled - there I'm hoping the ring will help protect that relatively fragile opening.

Somewhere I read about a 13-strip rod (from Switzerland? Austria?) that creates the same geometry as the rod I've (so far) called the weird triangle. Apparently the 13-strip is solid, all 13 strips the same size. I was intrigued by the shape, but figured I ought to be able to make it is 6 strips.. The 3 larger flats are obviously stronger than the small ones, so one of those becomes the spine. I put the guides on one of the small flats - makes a cool look. If you make a solid rod, rather than hollow, one of the 3 large pieces will not have its inside apex shaved off. That one will be the strongest.

The larger flats really do show off the cane - also show off any dip, dig, gouge, gap you have! We all know that it's the larger butt pieces where cane errors are most likely to show, and as far as I can tell, this geometry just increases that risk. Trade-offs, trade-offs....

Harry - what are the thread colors you used on that stripper guide? very pretty!

Thanks, guys!

Lee
Almightyrod.com

germanbrown
Guide

MADE a new rod lately?

Post by germanbrown »

Great thread Brian.

I just finished a 7.5' 3/2 4/5 wt. -

and a 7' 2/2 3/4 wt -

I'm currently working on four 7.5' 2/2 5/6 wts, a 7' 2/2 3/4 wt. for my daughter, and have strips roughed out and heat treated for the next 7 rods.

Lee Koch
Bamboo Fanatic

MADE a new rod lately?

Post by Lee Koch »

Here are a couple of photos of the weird triangle.
Image and
The reelseat is my first attempt at engraving (a hop-vine pattern)... won't quit my day job anytime soon!
I'll file a report after having fished the rod a bit.

All the best,

Lee
Almightyrod.com

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”