MADE a new rod lately?

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

nativetrout
Master Guide

Re: MADE a new rod lately?

Post by nativetrout »

Beautiful work fellas, Dave D, what is the total weight of your euro nymph rod? looks awesome.

chsparkman
Master Guide

Post by chsparkman »

Harry - that is a gorgeous rod sir.
...as for us we pin our faith and fealty to the silk-wound PENTAGONAL rod cunningly yet simply devised of its FIVE subtle, individual triangular strips of cane throughout...

Holden, George Parker. (modified by me) Idyl of the Split Bamboo

splitcanenut
Sport

Post by splitcanenut »

Latest rod Dickerson 8012Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

splitcanenut
Sport

Post by splitcanenut »

Thank you. Will polish tomorrow. I’ve been wanting to try the 8012 for some time now. Happened to have some old English style ferrules in 12/64 that were variable. Female 13/64 ; Tip 12/64 that were perfect for the drop. Should be an interesting 4 weight.

splitcanenut
Sport

Post by splitcanenut »

Extra note. This rod was build with glue that I was gifted when I stopped by the Sweetgrass shop in Butte Montana this summer. Glenn Brackett happened to be the only one in the shop that day. We had a very memorable conversation and he said “here, try this glue” “ I can get more if you’d like”. It was a day of days for me to sit and talk with him.

Jeff

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

Jeff, you are a lucky man. Getting to talk to Master Glenn is a rare treat that I know a few us would give something up to get that chance. I got to see the Sweetgrass rodshop a few years back and enjoyed it thoroughly, but you're a lucky man!

fragmentum
Master Guide

Post by fragmentum »

splitcanenut wrote:Extra note. This rod was build with glue that I was gifted when I stopped by the Sweetgrass shop in Butte Montana this summer. Glenn Brackett happened to be the only one in the shop that day. We had a very memorable conversation and he said “here, try this glue” “ I can get more if you’d like”. It was a day of days for me to sit and talk with him.

Jeff
Jeff, nice rod. Thanks for sharing! I've been using Glenn's acid catalyzed PVA glue for some time now, and I really like the long working time it affords you. I'm assuming that is what he gave your. The only downside is it takes a full month to cure and crosslink in that process.

bluewaterspecial

Post by bluewaterspecial »

I just finished a Leonard 50DF taper based rod. My 12th creation.

splitcanenut
Sport

Post by splitcanenut »

Recent build is this Dickerson 8012. Sweet with a 4 wt DT line. Currently building a Garrison 209 E in dark flame. Lots of fun! Take care

JeffImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jan96
Master Guide

Post by jan96 »

"The 38 Special" 8'#3. Soft, progressive action. Bamboo treated with potassium permanganate, "varnished" with polyurethane glue. Blued Nickel silver ferrules, blued aluminium bronze reelseat hardware, darkened stainless steel wire 0,6mm snake guides.
r ;)

munsey w
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by munsey w »

8' 4 piece hollow built splice joint 5wt ...it weighs 3ozs

jan96
Master Guide

Post by jan96 »

[quote="munsey w"]8' 4 piece hollow built splice joint 5wt ...it weighs 3ozs]
I'm not a big fan of splice joints, but I must say that your rod look fantastic! And 3oz(85grams!!) with that reelseat!!? Amazing! Do you have a photo of the splices taped together?
r :)

munsey w
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by munsey w »

Here you go R....I've gone to a new tape that is lighter and very clear...barely noticeable. That reel seat is aluminum and very light!

jvh
Master Guide

Post by jvh »

Very nice Munsey! Beautiful as always. Hope to cast it in April.
Vern

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

Harry, gorgeous fly rod. I love the glistening quality of the rattan grip. What finish do you put on the rattan?? Also, the black thread that creates the grooves on the rattan really look great with the black tipping and blued ferrules and winding check. What model and weight is that rod? Thanks for posting this lovely photos Harry. Merry Christmas. Jed
Fefferfly

penta-spey
Guide

Post by penta-spey »

munsey w wrote:Here you go R....I've gone to a new tape that is lighter and very clear...barely noticeable. That reel seat is aluminum and very light!
...wondering whatvt tape you are using?. I'm always interested in new tapes for spliced ferrules.

canerodscom
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by canerodscom »

Thanks Jed. The finish on the rattan is Helmsman. The rod is a hollow-built 7’9” five weight of my own design which casts pretty well. It’s becoming a favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

Impressive, Munsey!

TimM
Master Guide

Post by TimM »

Looks great Munsey! I love the maroon and also the yellow lab photobombing photo #3. :)

jan96
Master Guide

Post by jan96 »

munsey w wrote:Here you go R....I've gone to a new tape that is lighter and very clear...barely noticeable. That reel seat is aluminum and very light!

Thank you Munsey :) Almost invisible!?! May I ask what does the varnish "say" when you take off the tape? I read somewhere that this can be a problem sometimes...
r :)

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”