MADE a new rod lately?

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: MADE a new rod lately?

Post by jim royston »

Here are 2, the quad is a finished out Tim Zietak Perfectionist blank, which I can't wait to take fishing. The other is just finished, a Payne Parabolic 7"1" that weighs in at a scant 2 1/2 ounces. It is on its way to a new home

Last edited by jim royston on 02/23/21 18:13, edited 1 time in total.

Titelines
Administrator

Post by Titelines »

Well done Lee. I'm a sucker for transparent red wraps.

Mark

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by LeeO »

Thank you
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

http://www.304rodcompany.com

saddlemaker
Sport

Post by saddlemaker »

I finally finished my second bamboo fly rod! Based off a Dickerson 8013 taper, 8’ 5wt. This 2 piece, 2 tip rod has 20 hand rubbed coats of GG finish and the silk thread wraps are finished with spar varnish. I used Tony Young ferrules, snake brand guides and reelseat from Proof Flyfishing. Looking forward to test casting the rod today and getting out fishing with it soon. Thanks to all who have helped me along the way with your advise and tips.

sanderson
Guide

Post by sanderson »

working on a second WC7042 sir D. horsing around and tried a toasted grip to match what I refer to as "weathered bluing" on the hardware.

Bill T
Guide

Post by Bill T »

Here is a 9' hollow built 4 piece for a 5 weight with fiberglass ferrules that I recently finished and really enjoy casting.

Bill T
Guide

Post by Bill T »

Here is an 8' hollow built 4 piece for a 4 weight line with fiberglass ferrules that was recently completed. Now for a 7'3" and 7'9" hex rod.

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

Payne 98 taper. I don't split my own cane so the impregnated cane blanks came from Chapmans, I bought them about 5 years ago. I made the ferrules and reel seat hardware out of aluminium bronze, using my Payne 97 for inspiration but without trying to copy it exactly. The ferrule I built with a 12/64" male into a 5mm ( approx. 12.6/64") female because of the jump in dimensions between the tip and butt.

My father died recently. 50 years ago he gave me some mahogany planks and I used a piece from what was left of these for the reel seat, so now I can remember my father when I go fishing.

I have had a Payne 97 for a few years. I have never had the opportunity to cast an original Payne 98 but I could not be more happy with the way this new rod casts.

Paul.

KaukoP

Post by KaukoP »

Very nice work Godfroy! Did you have any problems machining aluminium bronze?

Kauko

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

Thank you Kauko! That was my first attempt at machining ferrules and reel seats. I do things a bit differently now. I do not have any problems machining aluminium bronze although I have read reports of distortion if it gets too hot, so I try to avoid that.

Paul

chsparkman
Master Guide

Post by chsparkman »

9' (without the fighting butt) 9wt Penta hollowbuilt. Ready for those silvers! I'll be testing it in Alaska this weekend.

...as for us we pin our faith and fealty to the silk-wound PENTAGONAL rod cunningly yet simply devised of its FIVE subtle, individual triangular strips of cane throughout...

Holden, George Parker. (modified by me) Idyl of the Split Bamboo

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

Nice rod. Should be fun to hook a couple of silvers on it. I like how you wrapped the tip tops to differentiate tips.
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

MountainBear

Post by MountainBear »

Just finished “Brookies in the Hemlock Grove” . A 7’ 6” 2 piece 3 wt. Reelseat made by Ray at RL Reelseats. Agate Guide made by AJ Pagley. Rod blank made by an unknown maker. A client gave one of the six bamboo blanks he got from his Dad after he passed away. It had T&T taper hand written on the bag it was in. It has a few glue lines showing and I did one intermediate wrap between each guide to help strengthen the rod and I look the looks the single wraps. The rod grip is a maple core that I wrapped with rattan and flamed then wrapped between the rattan with red silk. The red wraps with black tipping represents the brook trout fins while the green wraps tipped with brown represents the Hemlock tree. Rod has 12 coats of 50/50 spar , mineral spirits wiped on. All wraps were flex coat lite mixed 2/3 epoxy to 91% alchohol followed by 2 coats of 50/50 spar varnish and mineral spirits.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

Nicely done MountainBear. Certainly a departure from a "Plain Jane". Tasteful but not over the top.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”