Re: Torzite guides/Titan scrim?/Censoring Moderator

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

trland
Master Guide

Re: Re: Torzite guides/Titan scrim?/Censoring Moderator

Post by trland »

Jeff,
I make 4 or 5 bezels at a time on the lathe which makes the whole process faster for me so probably about an hour and a half total per guide. Certainly no more than 2 hrs. Salvaging the ring is about 5 minutes with a Dremel. I’ll put it on the scale but it has to be lighter than agate but a few grains heavier than a similar Silicon nitride. (Edit: 7.1 grains, about half the weight of the 10 mm agate ones I made). The frame on this one is 20 gauge wire though instead of 18 gauge. I thought it might pair nicely with a version of the Orvis Pack Rod, which is what it is next to in the picture.
Mike

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Re: Torzite guides/Titan scrim?/Censoring Moderator

Post by Gnome »

Mike

Good stuff and the drop in friction is totally realized with the dropping of the snake guides and going full Silicon Nitride. if using just the striper and going with the old school snakes and tip-top you will not realize what is possible with full silicon nitride guides and tip-top. the snakes generate lots of friction and to achieve the full drop-in friction you must drop the snakes otherwise you are only partway there.

IMHO

Jeff

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”