Re: Torzite guides/Titan scrim?/Censoring Moderator

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Pentalux
Master Guide

Re: Torzite guides/Titan scrim?/Censoring Moderator

Post by Pentalux »

Anyone have any experience with Torzite guides? Have been looking for a decent replacement for the casting guides I use on my saltwater builds and thinking these might be fantastic. Did not see anything in archives - my apologies if redundant - please direct me to thread if so.

Otherwise aside from cost would think these would hold up really well and certainly improve performance - the Gold Cermet guides are great but getting tough to find and absurdly expensive...
Last edited by Pentalux on 02/06/18 08:03, edited 6 times in total.

fishbum
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Torzite guides

Post by fishbum »

Give them a try and let us know if any gains are worth the bucks. I was tipped off about these some time ago by one of my rod building friends.

Jerry

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Wow!!! just got in my first set and checked them side by side with the SiC guides (double foot stripping guides and single feet) and they are 40% less in weight. And They do seem to be much slicker than my old favorite the SiC. Can not wait to get them on a rod and see how they perform compared to the SiC. Always onward with an open mind.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Boy does line fly through these guides. Definitely NOT!!! for the average angler but any angler who fishes hard and in extreme environments should consider these guides. They will not wear out on the redfish flats etc. And talk about effortless delivery in close WOW!!!!!~!~

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

well after a day on the lower gunny I am convinced!!!!! Torzite for me from now on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Form follows function and boy talk about absolutely effortless delivery in close. The Torzite's replaced the Sic's on my 7' flat laminate prototype and the change in cast ability was immediately apparent after having fished the rod hard for years with the Sic's. Smoother and effortless in close and distance wow!! And the 7' flat lam proto now has the titan scrim on it giving the rod extreme hoop strength and its durability factor just went out the roof!!!

I can not talk about the Titan scrim here as the post will be deleted because the titan scrim is a material that we are not allowed to discuss here.

For performance at this level looks do not and should not matter!!! durability and function are #1 in my book followed by looks. And I offered the most unique guarantee by any rod maker and that is
"Wear out a Sic or Torzite guide on one of my rods through honest fishing wear and I will replace the guide and build you a matching rod as well" No other maker offers a warranty like that. Durability and performance are #1 in my book.

cheers from the warm western cave I.E. home of one of the most radical of rod makers and Proud of it.

Jeff

Titelines
Administrator

Post by Titelines »

Jeff,

You have an incorrect view of the policies of this forum. If you create a discussion about graphite or glass "rods", the post will be locked, not deleted.

If you create a discussion about using synthetic materials in the construction of a cane or wooden rod, absolutely nothing will happen to that discussion. We talk about fiberglass and graphite ferrules and other uses of the materials in the construction of a modern cane rod.

Not quite sure how you came to the conclusion that any post discussing using graphite, glass or other fibers like kevlar in the construction of a cane would be deleted. It just ain't so.

Mark

Pentalux
Master Guide

Re: Torzite guides/Titan scrim?

Post by Pentalux »

He's probably talking about all the threads about using modern single foot guides that you have deleted over the years.

Jeff,
Since we seem to have come to a conclusion with these Torzite guides (although the price is still kinda rough but) I'll bite, what up with the Titan scrim? Could see how a scrim or adjustable hoop would be of value to the braided rod but what's it gonna do for us "normal" folk?

Rob

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Re: Torzite guides/Titan scrim?

Post by Gnome »

Rob,
the one thing almost all bamboo rods lack today is hoop strength (wraps at guides is it for the most part). add hoops or spirals ala scrim on a couple of rod types we can not talk about here ;-( to achieve a much stronger blank ala wheeler or foster bros with their x wraps and spiral wraps which are no different than modern makers using a spiral scrim to give strength to the blank.

Jeff

It is about building durable high performance rods that will last a long time in the hands of hard core fisherman while having the snot fished out of them.

there are solutions hidden in history that will allow us to make extremely durable rods if we are not so close minded that we can not and do not listen to the past and meld it with the present to achieve the future. For example "hoop Strength".

And in the case of this thread Fuji has achieved another step forward in a long line of lined guides going back to 1863 when R.N.Issacs patented the idea for lining guides with "A hard vitreous or enamel like substance to reduce the friction and wear of a fishing rod guide"

agates are pretty and their durability is not, a 7 on the mohs scale is just not hard enough in my book and view on the subject formed from over 28 years of fishing lined guides like the SiC and now the Torzite.
Last edited by Gnome on 01/19/18 09:22, edited 1 time in total.

Titelines
Administrator

Post by Titelines »

Pentalux wrote:He's probably talking about all the threads about using modern single foot guides that you have deleted over the years.

Rob
All what threads using modern single foot guides have been deleted? There have been none. Locked yes. Posts that may have been deleted had nothing to do with single foot guides. They were deleted for bad behavior, language and other reasons. But there have been no posts or threads that have been deleted just because they were talking about single foot guides, use of fiberglass or graphite in the making of a cane or wooden rod.

Mark

ffftroutbum
Master Guide

Post by ffftroutbum »

Jeff, was just curious what style and sizes you liked?

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

ffftroutbum wrote:Jeff, was just curious what style and sizes you liked?
For the running guides = Fuji TORZITE T-KTTG
and for the tip top = see above ;-)
Keep them big here are the Fuji listings for the guides I used on the flat lam;

FUJI TORZITE T-KTTG 5.5 HEIGHT 7.3MM [T-KTTG5.5]
FUJI TORZITE T-KTTG 6 HEIGHT 8.2MM [T-KTTG6]
FUJI TORZITE T-KTTG 7 HEIGHT 9.2MM [T-KTTG7]
FUJI TORZITE T-KTTG 8 HEIGHT 11.1MM [T-KTTG8]
FUJI TORZITE T-KTTG 10 HEIGHT 14.5MM [T-KTTG10]

I have for the last few rods went to a single foot guide wrapped as the tip top and am very happy with the weight reduction by losing the tube with no impact on performance. Taper the tip lightly and the foot to match and it comes out very clean.

to quote my good friend and fellow radical Wayne Maca "Lighter Faster Stronger". Never forget the stronger. And the Torzite's are lighter and faster so good on all three points of special need.

interested to hear what you think if you build a rod with them. SO far so good on this end need to go fish it again, maybe in the snow storm projected for tomorrow and see how they do in ice up situations, are they better or worse? faster to ice up or slower?? lots o questions to figure out by fishing. Yee Haw!!

cheers

Jeff

ffftroutbum
Master Guide

Post by ffftroutbum »

Awesome, thanks Jeff. Always enjoy reading your stuff about single foots!

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Happy to report that the larger ID of the Torzite guides ices up a little less quick than other guides but still will ice up in cold weather. Fished well in the snow storm Sunday.

Pentalux
Master Guide

Post by Pentalux »

Did a quick test today. Not sure about this Titan you mention but tried a kevlar scrim on a blank tip today. The tip is 46" long and weighs .585 oz on digital scale. Probably ran the scrim a little closer than would for a finished rod but wanted to maximize its effect for the test. Was surprised the added weight was only .005 oz (tip only went to .590) however definitely a subtle change in deflection which needs to be further quantified on graph board.

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

That tip now has serious hoop strength with a negligible addition in weight. talk about adding to a rods hoop strength, this achieves it big time and should increase the durability of the rod by many factors. Also makes the rod quicker as Rob noted above, good on ya mate for having the temerity to give the gnomish scrim a shot!!!

Pentalux
Master Guide

Post by Pentalux »

Interesting that Perry Frazer and Fredric Halford recommended scrim wraps on not only bamboo rods but solid wood rods as well stating that it strengthens the wood considerably.

Mark,
My apologies as I missed your post (#9). Your right I was thinking about the single vs snake guide thread you censored. The one in which you made lots of arguments but then deleted several of the response posts and locked it. Think its this one, viewtopic.php?f=66&t=107944&start=20#p772775

Titelines
Administrator

Post by Titelines »

Pentalux wrote: Mark,
My apologies as I missed your post (#9). Your right I was thinking about the single vs snake guide thread you censored. The one in which you made lots of arguments but then deleted several of the response posts and locked it. Think its this one, viewtopic.php?f=66&t=107944&start=20#p772775

Rob,

There was no "censoring" as you so casually spout in that thread. If that were the case, this thread, and the one in the Members Corner titled "What is classic" would have been locked or deleted. Pretty amazing the amount, or lack of censorship on this forum. Again, the only posts deleted were because of bad behavior on the part of the poster. It wasn't locked because of the topic, it was locked because of bad behavior. And I think most of the folks that were following along on that thread realized that.

If you feel it's so bad, why do you continue to hang around here? I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you feel you can do better running a forum your way, by all means, go ahead and start your own. No worries, I won't bad mouth you or your forum. Go ahead, set it up and I wish you the best.

Mark

Pentalux
Master Guide

Post by Pentalux »

It was locked because your presumptions were being discredited - you felt threatened and once again deleted a post and locked the thread.

When the moderator gets to post and edit the thread - choosing what is and is not "bad behavior" so as to remove anything that runs counter to his position in the post it is thus being censored by that moderator.
Pentalux wrote:If you feel it's so bad, why do you continue to hang around here? I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you feel you can do better running a forum your way, by all means, go ahead and start your own. No worries, I won't bad mouth you or your forum.
Thanks Mark appreciate that you at least admit to badmouthing me on this forum!

You have said it before and you will say it again? run my own forum? - I like it here whats your motive?? Seems like you are trying to pick a fight with me or something - if fact seems most of your posts are off topic and antagonistic towards me - at least now I know its intentional - thanks again.

Pentalux
Master Guide

Re: Re: Torzite guides/Titan scrim?/Censoring Moderator

Post by Pentalux »

Still waiting on a back order but did take the time to measure a few of these and make some comparisons and as far as longevity we'll see but in terms of straight numbers they are really impressive.

13.6 grains -Standard agate stripper guide #12
12.3 grains - #10 Mildrum guide
9.2 grains - Standard #8 agate stripper
5.4 grains - REC Recoil stripper #8
4.3 grains Torzite #6 w/ .200 opening or same as about a size 9 agate

#3 snake brand snake guide weighs 2.6 grains - same distance to top of guide as a
#6 single foot Torzite which weighs only 1.8 and requires less thread and glue to mount

Will have these on a saltwater bonefish rod soon and hopefully get some hardcore RD on how they last but would think if Fuji put there name on them they should be solid...

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Re: Torzite guides/Titan scrim?/Censoring Moderator

Post by Gnome »

Rob

thanks for posting the weights!! they are shockingly light and I see their performance is as much greater than the SiC as Fuji claims. Boy are they slick and in close it is think and it is there. The shift into that one state of mind is now easier due to the drop in friction.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”