bamboo rod making classes recomendation

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Jim Curlee
Guide

bamboo rod making classes recomendation

Post by Jim Curlee »

Just wondering if there's any recommendations for a rod building class?
Seems to me that most people that take the Oyster rod building class are happy, just wondering if there are any other decent classes around the country?
A midwestern, or western class would be the best. I don't mind traveling east of the Mississippi river, but once I see more than 2 lanes of traffic, I start freakin out. Atlanta would definitely be OUT! LOL
A one on one would probably be the best for me, it takes awhile for things to sink in. LOL
I'd consider going to one RIGHT NOW south of me, it's gonna be 30 some below again tonight. LOL
Thanks
Jim

oldschoolcane
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: bamboo rod making classes recomendation

Post by oldschoolcane »

Contact Harry Boyd, his Ozark rodbuilding class would be ideal

Arubey
Guide

Post by Arubey »

If Santa Fe New Mexico would be an option, I highly recommend the Zia Rods (Kermit on this forum) class!

I took Kermit's class about a year and a half ago. It was a week long, one on one class. I did a short write up on it here https://tinyurl.com/ycaoaylj
As my goal for the class was to learn how to continue making rods on my own, Kermit really took time with me on each step and helped me understand the entire process. We still keep in touch and he has been very helpful walking me through challenges I come across on my own rods.

Oh, and we made a great fly rod!

Also, I stayed at an AirBnB just about a mile away. I could probably find the info if you need it.
Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Best,
Andy
A. Rubey Rod Co.
rubeyrods.com

bobha
Guide

Post by bobha »

In Pennsylvania Jim Downs offers a great class, plus he is right on Penns creek. You might be able to time it with a green drake hatch.

Bob

pgwulf
Guide

Post by pgwulf »

If you have a week to spare, Tom Morgan Rodsmiths in Bozeman offers a class where you build a rod from scratch and have an oppertunity to purchase a TMR Handplane...details by phone or on their website.
"Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend...inside a dog, it's too dark to read!" Groucho Marx

trland
Master Guide

Post by trland »

+1 on a Tom Morgan Rodsmith class. My brother-in-law and I did one last June and it was fantastic. There were 5 of us in the class. We came home with a really nice rod and a Morgan Handmill and just finished our 12th rod from the knowledge taught by Ric Plante, Matt Barber, and Joel Daub. We even got a tutorial on wrapping from Gerri Carlson. Needless to say, they got us hooked! They have a schedule of classes on their web site for this year and appear to be keeping them small. They are great guys and I would call them to see if they’d do a one-on-one class if that’s what you are looking for. As it was, I felt there was plenty of time for one-on-one discussions, questions, help, etc.

KevinVReilly

Post by KevinVReilly »

I strongly recommend Dan Gowe's (of Zia Rods) rod-building class in Santa Fe. Dan goes by the handle of Kermit on the Forum. I've built two rods with Dan and fish them all the time. It's a great experience, and the rods are beautiful. Plus, of course, Santa Fe is a great place to spend time, especially if you want to escape a northern winter. You can check out Zia Rods on Facebook.

WIHEXROD
Master Guide

Post by WIHEXROD »

Jim,
There are several good rodmakers in MN that would probably work with you. The NRG is in September, you can learn a lot there too. We might even have a beginners class if there is enough interest.
Scott

fragmentum
Master Guide

Post by fragmentum »

I recommend you find a rodmaker who will teach you how to HAND MAKE a bamboo rod using ONLY hand tools! Many classes several of the rod makers mentioned here use expensive power tools for making large quantities of rods for resale. If you want to make rods of your own and not spend several thousand dollars for power tooling (other than possibly a drill press and small lathe) then find that maker that uses common tools such as hand planes, hand wrapper, traditional metal forms, etc..
I recommend Scott Nilsson https://highdesertbambooflyrods.com/

Luv2flyfish

Post by Luv2flyfish »

Another great one, and one I would highly recommend is Ron Barch in Michigan.

https://aldercreekangling.com

I just took a class with him and was extremely happy! A very knowledgeable person and just a plain good guy to work with. Very patient and a great teacher. I am fully addicted to this craft after working with Mr. Barch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcsteff
Master Guide

Post by mcsteff »

+ 1 on Ron B

alberta al
Master Guide

Post by alberta al »

Harry Boyd’s class is a fantastic one to go too, and you will come out with a nicer rod. My experience with Harry was simply the best.

In Canada, George Deagle off Campbell River on Quadra Island also offers a great class. Besides fly rods, George builds Tyee Rods. I wanted to build one and learn the Morgan mill, so I had a visit with George.

George and Harry are excellent builders, both huge fun, and two of the greatest people that you will ever meet.

Alan

shuksanrodco
Sport

Post by shuksanrodco »

Genuine Bellinger in Oregon, highly recommend!

3Rensho

Post by 3Rensho »

Classes are still going strong in Bozeman at Tom Morgan Rodsmiths in 2021. Thanks to Ric and the TMR staff for sharing your knowledge!

HexaMaineiac
Master Guide

Post by HexaMaineiac »

Don’t forget the class taught by David Van Burgel and Kathy Scott at the Catskills Fly Fishing Center.

Redwing
Sport

Post by Redwing »

Have taken the Oyster class 3 times! The Class, the town, the Fishing, all a great time.

Middleton
Sport

Post by Middleton »

+1 for Harry Boyd's class. Harry's class size is only one or two so you get a lot of attention. I spent a week with him and it was the best investment in rod making I could have made.
“Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

cheers,
Frank

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”