Straightening Calcutta

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Quill44
Sport

Straightening Calcutta

Post by Quill44 »

Am presently custom re-finishing a 10 1/2' Calcutta surf rod. Can they be straightened with heat as bamboo?
To refine the question...this is a solid piece of Calcutta, not split.
Last edited by Quill44 on 02/03/19 14:02, edited 1 time in total.

Paul B
Master Guide

Re: Straightening Calcutta

Post by Paul B »

Built Calcutta cane rods can be straightened with heat but I would be mindful that the adhesive on such a rod may not be up to it .

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Hide glue was applied melted, so..........

Jay Edwards

fisherman911
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fisherman911 »

Quill44 wrote:Am presently custom re-finishing a 10 1/2' Calcutta surf rod. Can they be straightened with heat as bamboo?
To refine the question...this is a solid piece of Calcutta, not split.
mm

So are you saying this is a piece of cane, just as it came from the field that has been built into a rod? If so that was common on the north east coast in the 50's and 60's. Most every Bait/tackle shop in my home state of NJ had a barrel of bamboo sections that folks would pick through and use to build surf rods. A minamal # of Guides were wrapped on with heavy thread, a tiptop fitted, the butt was wrapped with cotton cord and maybe electrical tape and the reel was secured with hose clamps. They used some version of a Penn Level wind reel and dacron line. My father won his 50Lb." Shaffer Pin" Newark NJ Star Ledger fishing Contest for Stripped Bass in the surf in 1963 with just such a rod.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”