scarfing

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

60InchDV8
Master Guide

Re: scarfing

Post by 60InchDV8 »

The Sharpes Aberdeen Scotty impregnated spliced cane Spey rods are the best available. I have used them for Atlantic salmon fishing for many years without any breakage and they are strong enough to switch to a rings up position to relieve stress on the cane and your arms while fighting a 30 lb. plus springer to land in under 20 minutes for a successful release.
They have swelled bases on every splice to absorb the torque involved in spey casting with a traditional mid belly spey line with a 55 to 70 foot head. The crucial stress point is just above the first splice where most rods without a swelled splice break.

Parabolic

Post by Parabolic »

My first post on here...

With reference to adding a swell at the splice, can this normally be achieved using standard planing forms, or do you need something more custom/special?

I'm on the verge of ordering some Bellinger forms, which appear to have sufficient depth to allow for the larger butt cross sections required for a 12' spey rod.

Any help here would be much appreciated.

jimlucey
Guide

Post by jimlucey »

60inchDV8 ,
it appears from the pictures that the swell is more pronounced on the upper piece an the lower one is somewhat less . am i seeing things ?
thanks , jim

tapermaker
Master Guide

Post by tapermaker »

if one owns a plane form ,this has worked for me . envision a ramp used to jump cars like evil did . well i made one out of flat plastic from the side of a old tv from the 1980s .i made a .jig that lays on top of the form. then i open my form and place the section to cut in the first 5" leaving the rest outside the form. i place the section up under the jig ramp .made at the correct angle for cutting . then adjust the form to clamp and hold the work in place. Then plane as normal till flat to the form.

Parabolic

Post by Parabolic »

Thanks for the reply Tapermaker

However I just can't visualise your description.

Is there any chance you could post a picture?

Cheers

tapermaker
Master Guide

Post by tapermaker »

heres some photos

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”