Rod Swap - Anyone Interested?

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Rod Swap - Anyone Interested?

Post by Canewrap »

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but making an acceptable rod from raw cane is more challenging than it looks. Some of us took a few years to get truly acceptable results.

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

It did say first time makers welcome on the first post of the swap and I bet there are enough beginner makers on this board to do a swap where each person gets a rod about equal quality with their own rod. And, I figure if one is careful enough, plans each step out, makes sure not to take off too much or too little cane, and redoes each wrap or strip that is not perfect, maybe it will take a lot longer, but an acceptable rod will surely result. It seems to be a highly methodical process.
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

Boise Bamboo
Guide

Post by Boise Bamboo »

Posting pictures of the beautiful hollow fluted 7 1/2' 5 wt, 3/1 rod I received from Mike (trland) and his brother-in-law as part of the rod swap. A special treat is that all of the components are shop made by these two talented gentlemen, including the striking wood case. It has a very crisp action and is incredibly accurate. I recently fished it on the East Fork of the Big Lost River and found it to cast as beautifully as it looks. Thanks, Guys!
Don

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”