Rod Swap - Anyone Interested?

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Chased
Guide

Re: Rod Swap - Anyone Interested?

Post by Chased »

I've thought about the same thing as Canewrap. I haven't came up with a good solution, but I do think it would be beneficial to essentially pair participants early on just so everyone ends up with a rod they will use. What if we surveyed participants to see what they would be most interested in building and receiving and assign builds out based on that? Have specific check-in dates to hopefully curve the dreaded "no-show". Not exactly random or foolproof, but it's an idea.

mrampant
Master Guide

Post by mrampant »

I am open to options of rod weight; length and casting profile. The only limitation I have is that I will make a 3 piece due to postage demands.
Other than that: 3-11 wt, 7'-8', Garrison to fast Dickerson style. I am open. I am in the process of both garrison 221 hollowed and a 10wt of my own profile (a little fast and punchy). I am planning to do some 5 and 4 wts in both Dickerson and Payne types.
As for receiving a rod I'd like to try anything.(again postage cost may limit this to 3pce) this is easier to fly with as well.
Cheers,
Mark
Cheers,
He who shall not be able to make a trout fly, after studying these diagrams and directions, must be deficient either in brains or in manual dexterity. : Edward Fitzgibbon 1853

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

Chased wrote:I've thought about the same thing as Canewrap. I haven't came up with a good solution, but I do think it would be beneficial to essentially pair participants early on just so everyone ends up with a rod they will use. What if we surveyed participants to see what they would be most interested in building and receiving and assign builds out based on that? Have specific check-in dates to hopefully curve the dreaded "no-show". Not exactly random or foolproof, but it's an idea.
I'm about to start a 7' Driggs that's a 5wt. Thinking that I just might make two and use the second for the swap. Anyone on the list of participants not interested in a Driggs? It's the Ron Barch taper with a slight swell (that I've added) above the grip or I could do the Dickerson 7613 from the Lovely Reed (1970 version). I have both on my list do for this winter.

splitcanenut
Sport

Post by splitcanenut »

Sounds fun to me. I have a single tip, hollow build of a Dickerson 8012 taper that is 8 feet for a 4 wt two piece rod.

Teborods
Guide

Post by Teborods »

My two cents. I’m not really interested in a swap rod that is fishable in my area. I’m live in open salt water. I make mostly 9wt/ 10wts. I have no problem receiving a rod from a maker that fishes in his or hers area. Most makers that make Bamboo Rods for there type of fishing have it dialed in. That what interest me most. Receiving something completely different. But I am open to any direction this venture takes us. Tebo

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

Everyone. I think I have heard back from about everyone who was interested. While I understand everyones various preferences, I think the best way to move forward is with what I originally proposed as not everyone is aligned, and there is the possibility that someone may be left out if a trading partner is unable to complete a rod.

I am still waiting to hear from 1 or 2 individuals. I will forward the contact information for those that are confirmed tomorrow night and if others want to join they can do so at any point and I'll just add them to the list.

Jim
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

splitcanenut
Sport

Post by splitcanenut »

I’m interested. 8 ‘ 4 weight Dickerson taper. Jeff Pope

SpringCreek
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by SpringCreek »

Just decided to post an update. Hopefully 2019 was a good building year for everyone. With Christmas finally over I settled down to get some work done on my swap rod the past couple of days. I've got the strips milled out with a preliminary taper and, with any luck, I should be gluing up in the next week or so. Just starting to think out some finishing options, I'll post a few pictures as I get farther along into the build.

Jim
Then as it was, then again it will be. Though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea. - Led Zeppelin, 10 Years Gone

http://www.splittingcane.com

DonT
Master Guide

Post by DonT »

Hey Jim,

I'm roughly at the same stage. Just finishing up final planing.

Don
Don Titterington
Desert Canyon Rods
West Linn, OR
Repairs/Renovations
Custom Builds

Chased
Guide

Post by Chased »

Glued up a half dozen blanks today. Never again will I do that many in one go. Among those 6 is the swap rod.

mrampant
Master Guide

Post by mrampant »

How is this going for the rest of you guys? I have a 5wt 8' hollow ready to get rid of somewhere.
Cheers,
Mark
He who shall not be able to make a trout fly, after studying these diagrams and directions, must be deficient either in brains or in manual dexterity. : Edward Fitzgibbon 1853

DonT
Master Guide

Post by DonT »

I'm done. I built the same thing as Mark, mine might be a 5/6 but it's a hollowed 8 footer too.
Don Titterington
Desert Canyon Rods
West Linn, OR
Repairs/Renovations
Custom Builds

mrampant
Master Guide

Post by mrampant »

I made mine as a 3 piece rod for ease of postage, for whomever is going to receive this.
Cheers,
Mark

kermit
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kermit »

It's done and waiting for instructions.
Zia Rods Brochure
www.ziarods.com

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

Mine is ready to go as well. Waiting on instructions.

trland
Master Guide

Post by trland »

Canewrap wrote:Mine is ready to go as well. Waiting on instructions.
Same here. (Hollow fluted butt, mid & tip, 7 1/2' 5 wt, 3/1)

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

I would be interested in hosting a second one if anyone would be interested. Unfortunately, I didn't get tools in time to make one for this swap (still working out the fine points of the deal) but they would be here in time for me to participate in a second one.
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

samsonboi wrote:I would be interested in hosting a second one if anyone would be interested. Unfortunately, I didn't get tools in time to make one for this swap (still working out the fine points of the deal) but they would be here in time for me to participate in a second one.
This is a little different then a fly swap, usually you've made one before you start swapping. How long do you think it will take you to get your first respectable rod ready to fish ? .. just wondering what your expectations are.

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

60 hours for the first?
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

And I was planning on doing 3 with some really intense work and swapping the 3rd one. I work very well when I push myself, and I'm sure if I put my all into it I could have finished 3 or 4 rods by a swap deadline, and swap the best. I have built rods before but never made them from raw cane.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”