removing weight from bamboo rods

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: removing weight from bamboo rods

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

[/quote]

At the other end of the spectrum is a 6', 2 weight weighing a whopping 1.4 ounce ready to fish. Even that rod has a couple of places that I could reduce the overall weight by a couple tenths of an ounce.

Jerry[/quote]

WOW! That is what the 5 1/2' 1-piece Lee Wulff / Garcia Conolon, which I just sold weighed. It had a diminutive grip and aluminum sliding rings. Does your 6' rod have a ferrule?

Joe

fishbum
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fishbum »

NewUtahCaneAngler wrote:Does your 6' rod have a ferrule?

Joe
It does, NS/aluminum hybrid.

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=70274

Jerry

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

I have a 5 1/2' 1 piece true 1 wt. hanging here that tips the scale at 1.25oz . It has a NS cap, ring and cork check over Walnut spacer. I could probably change it to alum. and get it to 1.1oz.

mer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by mer »

Tommasini wrote:I have a 5 1/2' 1 piece true 1 wt. hanging here that tips the scale at 1.25oz . It has a NS cap, ring and cork check over Walnut spacer. I could probably change it to alum. and get it to 1.1oz.
What about changing the Walnut to say Balsa or Cedar?

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

Walnut is pretty light weight. Very little difference if any when compared to Cedar . Balsa is much to soft for my taste .

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

Tommasini wrote:I have a 5 1/2' 1 piece true 1 wt. hanging here that tips the scale at 1.25oz . It has a NS cap, ring and cork check over Walnut spacer. I could probably change it to alum. and get it to 1.1oz.
hello, wow, i have ostrich feathers on my rush's lancers hardee campaign hat heavier than that!

regards, jim w

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

Tommasini wrote:Balsa is much to soft for my taste .
Yep, but Abachi/Obeche/Ayous is plenty hard enough and lighter than red cedar. I use it as a grip material on prototype rods (difference in weight with cork is negligible (in my book), and the difference in cost is immense...)

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by LeeO »

With all due respect, at some point isn’t it just easier to switch to graphite? I appreciate efforts to reduce weight, to a point. That being said, I don’t put any effort to reducing weight.
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

http://www.304rodcompany.com

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

Yes, I agree with you. That is why if I'm needing an 8' or longer rod, I use graphite. Bamboo, in my view, is a tool for small creeks or streams.

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

LeeO wrote:With all due respect, at some point isn’t it just easier to switch to graphite? I appreciate efforts to reduce weight, to a point. That being said, I don’t put any effort to reducing weight.

thanks, leo; i wonder if it would be possible now to push the wayback button and return to a kinder, gentler time a hundred years ago before nanotubes were only dreams of bucky fuller's???
or is the genie . . .et c . . .et c.

regards, jim w

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by LeeO »

Just my opinion. It seems like a bit of forcing a round peg into a square hole, but if people want to push the extremes then it really isn’t my business to pass judgment. Just not my bag.
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Tommasini wrote:Yes, I agree with you. That is why if I'm needing an 8' or longer rod, I use graphite. Bamboo, in my view, is a tool for small creeks or streams.
not bamboo, fredo? you broke my heart . . . . . . . !

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

If one has the opportunity and the skill to take advantage of and fish a Per Brandin, Marty Karstetter, Jim Hidy, Jim Reams, Tim Andersen....rod built out to contemporary standards, using all the nuances properly hollowing and apportioning the weight across the working length of the rod, then it would become very obvious that these folks have advanced the design and construction of bamboo rods to another level. There is nothing extreme with their work, thoughtful intentional consideration of every element /component and its affect on rod action, along with building off the work of notably E. C. Powell, has notable benefits. These are bamboo rods, not some chemically modified product. They are built just like a traditional bamboo rod with more advanced design thinking applied to better the rod's performance.

Look at a bicycle from 1920 and then 2020. Generally they look and function very much the same, yet the advancement in technologies, materials and design thinking make the two ride like night and day.

And as far as bamboo not being for big water and big fish, yikes, I am speechless! I only use bamboo and catch my share of 20+ inch fish every year. I fish steelhead, atlantic salmon and night fish big browns in Michigan. I have never felt undergunned or compromised in these efforts. A fly rod is a tool, and like any tool as history shows time and again, properly used by an experienced hand has way more to do with the final outcome then the tool.

Carl

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by LeeO »

I’d say the biggest difference with bicycles is the modern material of construction which allows a great reduction in weight - including carbon fiber. And yet, there are people that seek out old, outdated bicycles. I make bamboo because I like the old school aspect of what is already an archaic, outdated method of fishing. The same reason I traded in my auto loader shotgun for a side by side. To each his own. And I have no criticism of any efforts to reduce weight. I was just pointing out, that for some of us, it isn’t a consideration.
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

carl otto wrote:If one has the opportunity and the skill to take advantage of and fish a Per Brandin, Marty Karstetter, Jim Hidy, Jim Reams, Tim Andersen....rod built out to contemporary standards, using all the nuances properly hollowing and apportioning the weight across the working length of the rod, then it would become very obvious that these folks have advanced the design and construction of bamboo rods to another level. There is nothing extreme with their work, thoughtful intentional consideration of every element /component and its affect on rod action, along with building off the work of notably E. C. Powell, has notable benefits. These are bamboo rods, not some chemically modified product. They are built just like a traditional bamboo rod with more advanced design thinking applied to better the rod's performance.

Look at a bicycle from 1920 and then 2020. Generally they look and function very much the same, yet the advancement in technologies, materials and design thinking make the two ride like night and day.

And as far as bamboo not being for big water and big fish, yikes, I am speechless! I only use bamboo and catch my share of 20+ inch fish every year. I fish steelhead, atlantic salmon and night fish big browns in Michigan. I have never felt undergunned or compromised in these efforts. A fly rod is a tool, and like any tool as history shows time and again, properly used by an experienced hand has way more to do with the final outcome then the tool.

thanks, carl; i couldn't have said that nearly as well as you did.

highest regards, . jim w

Carl

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

LeeO wrote:Just my opinion. It seems like a bit of forcing a round peg into a square hole, but if people want to push the extremes then it really isn’t my business to pass judgment. Just not my bag.

why square peg in round hole. bamboo is a superior material for fishing rods if kept in reasonable condition and employed in sensible manner.

jim w

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by LeeO »

I disagree that is a superior material. Carbon and fiberglass will last essentially forever with almost no care. I can buy a few hundred glass blanks off of Alibaba and crank out rods way easier than making a bamboo rod. I do it because I simply enjoy it. If it were really about efficiency a Zebco and bait will outfish a fly rod every time. Again, it is not a criticism of weight reduction, I just personally don’t do it. I also avoid making rods longer than 8’. All of my 9’ and longer rods are synthetic. Just giving a different opinion. And to be even more contrary I see no benefit in balancing rods either. But I may get into weight reduction one day and be amazed at what I was missing.
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

LeeO wrote:I disagree that is a superior material. Carbon and fiberglass will last essentially forever with almost no care. I can buy a few hundred glass blanks off of Alibaba and crank out rods way easier than making a bamboo rod. I do it because I simply enjoy it. If it were really about efficiency a Zebco and bait will outfish a fly rod every time. Again, it is not a criticism of weight reduction, I just personally don’t do it. I also avoid making rods longer than 8’. All of my 9’ and longer rods are synthetic. Just giving a different opinion. And to be even more contrary I see no benefit in balancing rods either. But I may get into weight reduction one day and be amazed at what I was missing.
bamboo - time tested since before 2,000 b c. superior to all substitutes!

Tim Anderson
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tim Anderson »

Bamboo has, for me, a very great advantage over glass and graphite rods: I can make the taper I want. Fast, slow, soft tip, stiff tip, all variations are possible. That is unfortunately not the case with glass and graphite. Very few of us have a range of mandrels and the equipment to roll our own blanks. Sure, there are good blanks to purchase, but we must accept what the manufacturer produces.

Weight reduction for longer cane rods is one of the ways to tailor their performance, which I enjoy doing. It is fun to design and produce a rod that casts and fishes well.

Tim

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

Tim Anderson wrote:Bamboo has, for me, a very great advantage over glass and graphite rods: I can make the taper I want.
Bingo - that is _my_ primary reason to do bamboo too. ;-)

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”