Gorilla Glue testimonial

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Gorilla Glue testimonial

Post by Shrimpman »

Great testimonials from experience- thank you for sharing!

jan96
Master Guide

Post by jan96 »

Purchased GG today and here is comparison with Bison PU MAX I used before. Viscosity is similar, color is similar GG being a bit darker. I can't judge right now how does react when applying it to the blank, I will try it on my next rod, probably another 7'2''#4 "Onepiece".. One of the big differences between GG and Bison is in quantity/price.. GG= 60ml/5.99€ - Bison PU MAX 250g/7.50€..
r :)

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

I'm a convert too. I use bison PU or Pattex PU (whatever is on the shelf) - I hate the stuff as actual wood glue (it is the standard D4 glue available over here - although there _are_ PVA D4 glues available). I started out with small amounts and short sections, as Tim describes in his 'manual' but have since sped up the process to large dabs and long sections - I do a standard rod section (say the tip or butt of an 8 foot rod) in three or four applications (for a single layer). You DO need to polish out most of it though. It does not build up. I usually do four full coats - in a single day, which, as far as I can see, gives me a completely adequate weather and impact protection, while keeping the finish sort of matte. I also use PU glue as a lathe-applied finish on reel seat inserts these days. Probably a better finish, for reel seats, than CA glue or CA-BLO, less brittle, and less shiny...

just
Sport

Post by just »

Tim Anderson wrote: For those who might think of trying the clear (not the brownish original) Gorilla Glue, you need to know that it is only water resistant and not waterproof.

Tim
Thanks to Tim for promoting such a great finish, I've had great success with it. A couple of things with the GG Clear in addition to Tim's point above, it foams less than original GG, and it has more UV resistance that GG original (so might be good as a topcoat, that's what I've been doing).

And be very careful when applying to tips...don't ask me how I know...

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”