Rod Spine

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

joaniebo
Bamboo Fanatic

Rod Spine

Post by joaniebo »

Before assembling a blank, I check for the "soft side" of the blank to which I prefer to attach the line guides. Today, as I was assembling the last of the Sharpes' blanks, I checked quite a few times and, simply, could not find any difference in any of the 6 sides. First time I've ever seen this.

Bob

tapermaker
Master Guide

Re: Rod Spine

Post by tapermaker »

i have always thought that bamboo construction had nothing to do with the way they make graphite . In theory ,all your splines should be the same ,with no overlap ,( that creates a spine) . If you glue up strips w/o any twists ,you should have trouble finding a spine .

kermit
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kermit »

tapermaker wrote:i have always thought that bamboo construction had nothing to do with the way they make graphite . In theory ,all your splines should be the same ,with no overlap ,( that creates a spine) . If you glue up strips w/o any twists ,you should have trouble finding a spine .
I'm with you on this. When the blanks are dried, I use a heat gun to get them as straight as I can, but... What I do is take the ferruled butt and tip sections, then put them together. Sight down the complete rod and adjust the tips from flat to flat. I find the straightest tip flat that matches to the straightest butt end flat. So when I sight down the complet rod sections, it is straight. If one tip has a slight down turn, then put the guides on the opposite side. In use, it will equal out.
Zia Rods Brochure
www.ziarods.com

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

If your strips are perfect (all identical) and your glue-up has produced a perfectly straight blank (section), and the bamboo from your culm was perfectly homogeneous, and the node stagger does not screw things up, then, yes, a bamboo rod should have no spine/soft side/preferred plane of bending... However, in practice (at least in my practice ;-) ), there's always some residual 'spine' there. and you better take in into account when deciding on where to place your guides...

corlay
Master Guide

Post by corlay »

I always affix a few inches of the butt end of a section to my work bench top (with a clamp) with the tip cantilevered outward perpendicular from the work top edge. Then I simply depress the tip downward and let go, and see if the tip oscilates true in the vertical plane. If not (the tip will oscilate in a circular path, rather than straight up and down), rotate the blank to the next flat. and repeat.
Last edited by corlay on 01/12/20 20:04, edited 1 time in total.

troutnut
Master Guide

Post by troutnut »

I do the same hold butt of tip on bench and flex the tip perfectly to see an up and down motion and not a circular one. Keep going on all 6 sides and pick the most straight up and down motion. If there is more than one you just will have choose a side for the guides.

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

I do exactly the same as the two guys above. I had a few rods in the beginning and old blue-collar rods that I didn't spine that way and you can tell that they're a little off axis. With those I had to rotate the rod a bit to get the cast to go straight. The spined rods don't have that problem and can lay out a straight cast real nice.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, I use the Letcher Lambuth method. I think that's where it came from anyway. I 'spine' each section, and mark them. I assemble the rod so the marked flats line up. I then put the butt on the floor and test again. If the whole rod doesn't 'spine' properly I've got a problem. There can be several solutions depending on exactly what is wrong. The rod has to be in sync.

Jay Edwards
Last edited by bluesjay on 01/14/20 00:02, edited 1 time in total.

tapermaker
Master Guide

Post by tapermaker »

bluesjay wrote:Hi Guys, I use the Letcher Lambuth method. I think that's where it came from anyway. I 'spine' each section,and mark them. I assemble the rod so the marked flats line up. I then put the butt on the floor and test again. If the whole rod doesn't 'spine' properly I've got a problem. There can be several solutions depending on exactly what is wrong. The rod has to be in sync.

Jay Edwards
i thought when you mentioned Lambuth you were going to say you twisted all you sections to get a homogenizing effect .(i love good sarcasm)

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Twisting is an idea toward that end, isn't it? However I got troubles of my own without doing that, I think....

Jay Edwards

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by LeeO »

The spine in a graphite or glass rod is caused by the over lap of the fabric.
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

http://www.304rodcompany.com

kermit
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by kermit »

LeeO wrote:The spine in a graphite or glass rod is caused by the over lap of the fabric.
Thank you...
Zia Rods Brochure
www.ziarods.com

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”