Dry wraps/ cracks at ferrule wraps

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Dry wraps/ cracks at ferrule wraps

Post by fefferje »

I am seeing some drying on thread wraps on some of my rods. I am also seeing some cracking on ferrule wraps. For the drying wraps would you clean them with mineral spirits, apply a color preservative then a coat of spar varnish? On one wrap a small thread of silk is loose. Would a bit of glue suffice to set it in place, then follow with the steps for the dry wraps??
On the cracks present in the wraps at the ferrules would you suggest revarnishing these wraps after cleaning with mineral spirits and applying color preservative?? The cracks in the varnish have not reached the surface layer of varnish in some cases but are on underlying layers. For this reason it would appear that any additional varnish may not address the problem. On cracks that are breaks in the surface varnish should I proceed the way I outlined with dry wraps? Clean with mineral spirits, apply color preservative let dry and apply varnish??
Thanks for any suggestions. Jed
Fefferfly

wb4tjh
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Dry wraps/ cracks at ferrule wraps

Post by wb4tjh »

Sounds like a total rewrap is needed. This is one reason I never use CP because it prevents the varnish from penetrating the the threads and firmly cementing the wraps to the blank.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

I agree with wb4tjh if you intend to fish the rod. I recently sold a Heddon #20 that had dried out wraps on the but and mid. I was able to remove the dried out wraps without hurting the gold tipping and rewrapped so that the rod would be good for another 40+ years.

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by LeeO »

Cracking at the ferrule are casting fractures and are not uncommon. If the wraps have CP they might darken if hit with a fresh coat of varnish.
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

http://www.304rodcompany.com

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, I've had fair luck applying thin CP [lacquer] to wraps and letting it soak in, then wiping it off with my finger. That may 'secure' the wraps to the rod and may prevent discoloration. Then decide whether to varnish. To prevent cracks at the ferrules I double wrap with nylon.

Jay Edwards

David4Him
Guide

Post by David4Him »

Question for you Jay, when double wrapping at the ferrules, you using a wrapper or doing by hand. How are you keeping enough tension so the wraps lay nice? I've thought about this but not sure I can get a pleasing result hand-wrapping, even with a tension device on thread.

David

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Oh, I have a 40 year old crummy homemade wrapper with a sewing machine tensioner. I wrap with as much tension as possible up to the ferrule and tie off, then using same tension on the ferrule. I use CP/lacquer on the wraps and wipe off the excess and let it dry. I never use CP without wiping off excess. I then wrap with slightly less tension a continuous wrap over the other wraps. I like to use a very thin lacquer to penetrate and kinda glue everything. Then varnish using a turner. My ferrule wrap colors never match my guide wraps. Gus Nevros recommended to me double wrapping with nylon. This is just my way. My ferrule wraps don't seem to crack.

Jay Edwards

David4Him
Guide

Post by David4Him »

Thanks for sharing Jay. Appreciate a possible solution to a problem I see on some of my own builds and old rods I've got. I'm partial to black on ferrule wraps myself so will try your process as I start wrapping my next rod. David

fefferje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fefferje »

Than you for the suggestions so far.
Back to this question of dry wraps. The wraps themselves are intact but the varnish looks a bit thin. Couldn’t a cleaning of the wraps, an application of color preservative and then an application of varnish do the trick, I didn’t want to remove the wraps, and risk not getting a color match with the thread if at all possible. There are only a couple wraps on each rod that are showing a “thinning” of the varnish.
In terms of some cracking of threads at the ferrule stations I thought cleaning, color preserving and varnishing the wraps there would fill in the cracking. Does color preservative always prevent the varnish from getting deep into the wraps? Isn’t there some bonding of wraps with the color preservative?? I thought many builders used color preservative or laquer prior to putting varnish on the wraps? Thank you for help clarifying this process. Best, Jed
Fefferfly

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Don't let me get in over my head here.... This is a fix, not a new build you're doing. Anytime I start a repair it's a risk. What are the risks one has to ask. Well, in this case it's a discoloration or water getting into the ferrule station and rotting away the bamboo so that the rod flies apart.

Jay Edwards

Trout120-1
Master Guide

Post by Trout120-1 »

Do as you mentioned.

tapermaker
Master Guide

Post by tapermaker »

bluesjay wrote:Hi Guys, Oh, I have a 40 year old crummy homemade wrapper with a sewing machine tensioner. I wrap with as much tension as possible up to the ferrule and tie off, then using same tension on the ferrule. I use CP/lacquer on the wraps and wipe off the excess and let it dry. I never use CP without wiping off excess. I then wrap with slightly less tension a continuous wrap over the other wraps. I like to use a very thin lacquer to penetrate and kinda glue everything. Then varnish using a turner. My ferrule wrap colors never match my guide wraps. Gus Nevros recommended to me double wrapping with nylon. This is just my way. My ferrule wraps don't seem to crack.

Jay Edwards
funny that Garrison in his famous book , and my friend Dwight were of the opinion that tossing the spool into a coffee cup tucked beside your leg in a stuffed chair and the tension of your thumb and forefinger was the way to go. it is second nature after doing one rod. saved some money on a winder

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, The pictures of the 'factory girls' show big spool, a tensioner, a rod and a guide. My 'wrapper' is covered with shellac, varnish, and lacquer droplets. It serves a variety of porpoises. I hate wrapping.

Jay Edwards

Canewrap
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Canewrap »

Flipper??

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”