Converting a 9 to 9.5 ft bamboo rod to a shorter rod. Banty

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

Smchang55
Sport

Converting a 9 to 9.5 ft bamboo rod to a shorter rod. Banty

Post by Smchang55 »

I have been reading up on this in various old threads. What is current thinking?. I am leaning toward making a new handle with the butt ferrule as a winding check. Will the butt ferrule be strong enough or do I have to replicate like the old spinning/ fly rod combination rods? I don’t have a copy of Sinclair book yet which I understand has a plan for converting long rods to shorter rods. Thanks for all advice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Converting a 9 to 9.5 ft bamboo rod to a shorter rod. Ba

Post by bassman »

Because there is no flex below the butt ferrule with handle like there is if there's another section below it it's going to take some pretty strong pressure. If you use a core for the handle that will flex that should help take some of the new increase in pressure off the front two sections. You'd then have a short rod that would flex down into the handle and should hold up. I have made ice fishing rods like you're talking about and have had them sheer right where it went into the butt section but the handles I used had no flex to them.

DUCKMANNM
Master Guide

Post by DUCKMANNM »

I refurbish lots of vintage bamboo rods! More often than not, the butt section under the reel seat is really crummy, or even unusable. I have made many 6' 2 piece rods out of those clunkers. If you're looking for a Banty, that might work for you. Most of the ones I've made end up able to throw a 3 weight line fairly well, and depending on the line size of the clunker, you can throw a 4 weight line. Works for me anyway!

LeeO
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by LeeO »

In my experience, the line weight doesn’t drop much with a banty and you wind up with a 6’ or so 6 weight. Maybe a 5. Just my experience and it may vary with taper
Lee Orr
304 Rod Company

http://www.304rodcompany.com

Silver rat
Guide

Post by Silver rat »

My experience has been similar to that stated by Lee. I've shortened several South Bend and Montague rods and have been generally pleased with the results. Most were 6 weights which resulted in shorter 6 weights. I happen to like 6 weight rods that are 8 feet or shorter so it works for me.

TFHough
Sport

Re: Converting a 9 to 9.5 ft bamboo rod to a shorter rod. Banty

Post by TFHough »

Perhaps it is casting style and what we ask of the rods, but I have also rebuilt many of those H-I and Monty 9', arm breaking clubs. My experience and casting to 30' has converted most of them to 4 and worse case, 5 weights plus the occasional 3. I always wondered why the original companies felt compelled to turn out those heavy 9' monsters when they knew that 7-8' tapers were doable, after all, the high end craftsmen were doing them. And think of the material savings in manufacturing! Am I expecting too much from the factory makers of the time?

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

I think it’s a waste of time when there are so many great 8 to 9 ft Heddons and Grangers out there which are superior fishing sticks for $200 or so that just need a bit of TLC.

John

6tUc05
Master Guide

Post by 6tUc05 »

I have made several 2-piece bamboo rods from 3-piece 9ft rods with excellent results. I simply put a reel seat and handle on the butt end of the mid-section, with the female butt ferrule in the reel seat as standard for the original cane butt, and go from there (i.e., spacing guides, their number and size for rod length and line weight). It has been my experience that the resulting "banty" rod very capably handles the same weight line as the original 9ft version.

I say "GO FOR IT!" It's your rod.

bugslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bugslinger »

I agree with 6tUc05, as I have done the same with decent fishing sticks! A heavy 9’ club isn’t getting fished much by me, whereas a shorter rod is way more fun and wrist/shoulder saving. My .02

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

I’m the opposite I can’t stand fishing with an overly stiff toothpick a 6 ft rod that needs a 5 or 6 wt to load isn’t much use to me. Most 9’ solid built rods that would make any kind of decent banty aren’t really clubs either. The front 2 pieces of a real club are just a shorter club, hence the waste of time comment above.

Pick up a 9050 or 8642 W&M Granger that needs TLC and go catch some trout. If you fish for smaller trout then an 8’ 1.75 Heddon. Those are really great fishing sticks that will keep their value.

John

jvh
Master Guide

Post by jvh »

I've shorten several. Some work fine, others not so much. An easy test is take the mid and tip out and cast it. Just lay the line out on the ground. As a general rule vintage Tonkin cane doesn't work very well, to stiff. Calcutta cane is better as it tends to be more limber. If you can find a 10' rod they can make nice shorter rods. As a rule i dont shorten good full length rods, just busted up stuff that has enough left to save.
Vern

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

All good advice Vern!

6tUc05
Master Guide

Post by 6tUc05 »

To each his own.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”