Tight ferrule fit - fighting butt with O ring

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

flying fisherman
Guide

Tight ferrule fit - fighting butt with O ring

Post by flying fisherman »

I have a similar problem as OZARKWATER except it involves the fighting butt extension on my Winston 9 ft. Salmon / Steelhead rod. The fighting butt was literally fused in and I could not remove it. I met a gentleman at a fly fishing show 2 weeks ago who suggested that I treat the insert area with WD 40 for a week (while the rod remains in a vertical position). The suggestion worked because I was just able to remove the butt section today. I tried to reinsert it....but it is just too tight and I prefer not to force it. The male section has an O ring and I am wondering if the condition / age of the O ring might have something to do with the problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks - Dan

WIHEXROD
Master Guide

Re: Tight ferrule fit - fighting butt with O ring

Post by WIHEXROD »

Dan,
You might want to start with a good cleaning of the female ferrule. It is possible the o ring gave up some of its lubricant and created a ridge in the bottom of the tube. Then clean the male.
If that doesn't seem to make a difference, replacing the o ring might help. Take a good look at the opening of the female and look for possible dents or burrs from being dropped when the fighting butt was not inserted.
O ring style ferrules typically didn't have a tight metal to metal fit.
Scott

KLNC
Guide

Post by KLNC »

One of those mystery problems. I have the same issue on a vintage Orvis graphite rod. Nothing seems amiss, but very tight fit and I can't seem to figure out the issue. I'll try again.
KLNC (formerly Spey Salar on the Forum)

flying fisherman
Guide

Thanks for the reply and suggestion Scott.
The more I look at / examine the O ring.....it appears that the O ring is not soft or pliable .....but rather hard. Any idea where I can buy an O ring that would be the same size? Thanks - Dan

dshx
Master Guide

Post by dshx »

Dan, I had the same problem with the O-ring on the male ferrule of a Heddon fiberglass spinning rod. I replaced it with an O-ring from my local hardware store. Any well-stocked hardware store should have one that fits.

-Dwight

flying fisherman
Guide

Thanks Dwight.....I am going to head over to my local hardware store in the morning and see If they have one that fits.

flying fisherman
Guide

Problem solved !!!
The fit is now perfect.
Thanks so much guys for your help and suggestions !
Heading to Pulaski New York in a couple weeks with this rod for some Steelhead action. - Dan

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”