Break in required for new bamboo

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

klingon
Master Guide

Break in required for new bamboo

Post by klingon »

I will soon receive my very first brand new bamboo flyrod. The other six bamboo rods I own were purchased used. The new rod is a 7 ft 9 inch parabolic made by Joe Bradley. Joe tells me the new rod will likely be stiffer than it will eventually become when brand new and that it will "breakin" and eventually develop its intended action.

Just wondered if those of you who have purchased new bamboo noticed this phenomenom and how big a change should be expected.

Please comment. Thanks

munsey w
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Break in required for new bamboo

Post by munsey w »

I must say that I have never heard of a "break in " Period? I mostly fish my own builds and have several that I have fished hard for several years, they still feel the same as when I first fished them. Interesting.

richardawalker
Sport

Post by richardawalker »

that sort of "break in" sounds more like a "break down" of something.

Rockthief
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Rockthief »

Never heard of such a thing. I believe that the action of a bamboo rod remains the same from day one until many years down the stream.

toothybugs
Master Guide

Post by toothybugs »

To give this a degree of serious thought: Over many years the fibers in the cane might wear in, but it's a long, gradual process of getting to know your friend. Any change is probably going to be imperceptible because you yourself will acclimate to it and you'll just get used to it.

I'd be concerned about any rodmaker telling me that "the rod won't feel right so just wait it out"
- NJG
(It's Nate, but I generally only sign my initials.)

Got loopage?
http://plumbrookrods.wordpress.com

Tim Anderson
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tim Anderson »

Several years ago, Joe Bradley and I had this discussion and, at the time, we both agreed that there seems to be a change from brand new and never fished to being somewhat used. So I mentioned it to Per Brandin and he said he thought it was nonsense. Apparently he tests the deflection of his rods and says that tests of the deflection of one of his rods after years and considerable use does not change.

Perhaps Joe and I both have had the personal perception that a rod has changed when, in reality, it is our memory of the rod which changes. No matter what, Klingon, rest assured that Joe makes a very good rod.

Tim

MGrallert
Guide

Post by MGrallert »

I think it's more the case that we "break in" We get a feel for the rod and adjust accordingly. I'd be worried if one of the rods I made changed over time. Though I suppose it's possible that a rod that leaves my shop in new england could feel different in Nevada? I'd still be concerned though.

mrampant
Master Guide

Post by mrampant »

I have made a few rods that on the first couple of casting/ fishing sessions my head was thinking "this is stunning"; and after a while the thrill has diminished. I don't believe that the rod has changed as much as me accepting the action of the rod and being more accustomed to the different action.
My reasoning to this is that someone else has the same reaction later on as well to the same rod.
Cheers Mark
He who shall not be able to make a trout fly, after studying these diagrams and directions, must be deficient either in brains or in manual dexterity. : Edward Fitzgibbon 1853

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

mrampant wrote:I have made a few rods that on the first couple of casting/ fishing sessions my head was thinking "this is stunning"; and after a while the thrill has diminished. I don't believe that the rod has changed as much as me accepting the action of the rod and being more accustomed to the different action.
Not unlike the experience many brasswind players have on trying their umptieth new mouthpiece, in their quest for the ultimate mouthpiece. Most of the time the solution is more in practice and routine than in finding that magical mouthpiece ;-)

norcal_1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by norcal_1 »

I have several of Joe's rods, including the model mentioned by the original poster

I think Joe's point is that bamboo is a natural fiber, and over time, it limbers up (stretches just marginally) with more use and gets smoother. A brand new rod off the bench that hasn't been flexed yet is going to feel (on the margin) stiffer than the same rod that is years older and has had many days on the water being cast and stressed/bent fighting fish. It's fibers haven't been 'woken up' yet. How many power fibers it has, and how stiff (or whippy) the actual rod taper is all contribute to what you experience and how it develops. A super stiff taper-ed rod (to begin with) will develop very little. The Para 14 from Joe the OP bought is not one of those tapers. It's smooth right out of the gate. I have one.

To think that bamboo doesn't actually stretch, to me, is the thing that is kind of silly. Natural fibers stretch (a little) with use. The inside power fibers maintain the integrity and reinforce the outside fibers. Metal stretches a little, too (look up the concept of 'metal fatigue' on airplanes). Stretching is a good thing for bamboo and human muscles, but bad for metal. There is more give in natural fibers - stretch the cotton t-shirt you're wearing too much and it loses it's shape. Bamboo rods are not like cotton t-shirts and will deflect back to original 'shape' or plane,,,, but if you stretch it too much, it will break unevenly as weaker fibers or the outside overstretched fibers give way. In other words, you can over do it and break a rod:

Per Brandin has a whole page on his website on how not to break one of his rods and shows a picture of somebody over-stressing a rod to land a fish: https://www.brandin-splitcane.com/care.html

The point is, under normal use, a bamboo fly rod's fibers will stay true to it's taper and original deflection rates, but on the slight margin should feel ever so slightly better over time as the fibers sort of 'mellow out' just a bit. Emphasis on just a bit. I've noticed this casting older rods of the same model and maker. Of course a lot of other factors come into play - every bamboo rod was made with a unique series of bamboo strips, all of which has power fibers that are different than the culm used on any other rod even by the same maker, how the rod was used or abused over the yrs etc. So just enjoy the rod and not overthink this stuff. You're going to love that model right out of the tube.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

There can be a tendency with bamboo to over-think things. No need for that. Just fish it.

wb4tjh
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wb4tjh »

This is total nonsense. It might take YOU a little while to adapt to a new rod, but "rod break in period"? I've been fishing bamboo for 40 years and NEVER heard this before. It's just silly.

kenwey4534
Guide

Post by kenwey4534 »

Interesting concept of a break-in period for a bamboo fly rod. I have made and fished many rods and have never experienced this. Joe may be talking about the the learning period that even experienced bamboo people go through with a new rod. Each rod has its' own personality and nuances that will reveal itself to you through use. What I have experienced though is what the selection of the right reel and line can do to make a rod sing. Try your new bamboo rod with a few different lines to find that magical combination. Select a reel that balances the rod in your hand and enjoy.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Between my wife and I, we have purchased rods from 7 different makers and not one of them has mentioned a break-in period. Perhaps Mr. Bradley meant trying different lines to see what fits your casting style.

klingon
Master Guide

Post by klingon »

My new rod, from Joe Bradley arrived yesterday (7 ft 9in, 5 wt para). It is a thing of beauty. Joe's work is excellent. I customized the rod somewhat. I specified Bellinger down locking Garrison type reel seat with a Spanish cedar spacer and also a Golden Witch paddle foot hook keeper. I had to insist on the hook keeper since Joe does not believe in them.

I lawn cast the new rod with a Cadno, DT - 5 wt silk line and I could not be happier. The rod is simply awesome.

wb4tjh
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wb4tjh »

Any rod material, be it glass, graphite, or bamboo, will lose stiffness, or modulus, over time with flexing. But you will spend a lot of years fishing and hundreds of hours on the stream before it amounts to anything. Just don't overflex a bamboo by trying to fight a big fish totally with the rod. I try to keep my rod 45 or 50 degrees to the water, and remember the tip sections are most vulnerable. If this is not enough, then fight the fish off the reel and point the rod at the fish and let the drag do the work. You might even rotate the rod in your hand to prevent stressing it in one direction only. Do this and you will probably never break or get a set in a bamboo rod. In 40 years of fishing bamboo, I have never broken a rod or had one take a set, so this works.

Gimmeslack
Sport

Post by Gimmeslack »

Any idea what the objection to hook keepers is?
klingon wrote:My new rod, from Joe Bradley arrived yesterday (7 ft 9in, 5 wt para). It is a thing of beauty. Joe's work is excellent. I customized the rod somewhat. I specified Bellinger down locking Garrison type reel seat with a Spanish cedar spacer and also a Golden Witch paddle foot hook keeper. I had to insist on the hook keeper since Joe does not believe in them.

I lawn cast the new rod with a Cadno, DT - 5 wt silk line and I could not be happier. The rod is simply awesome.

Tim Anderson
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tim Anderson »

Gimmeslack wrote:Any idea what the objection to hook keepers is?
Here is a thread about them: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=10027. I don't put them on my rods either. Sort of the Garrison argument. When I carry a rod while fishing, my hand is often where a hook keeper would hold a sharp, pointy thing. People who get one of my rods are stuck with what I make!

Tim

Gimmeslack
Sport

Post by Gimmeslack »

Thx. Right after I posted I found that thread. Just hadn’t found he right combination of search terms :-o

Sorry for the hijack!
You
Tim Anderson wrote:
Gimmeslack wrote:Any idea what the objection to hook keepers is?
Here is a thread about them: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=10027. I don't put them on my rods either. Sort of the Garrison argument. When I carry a rod while fishing, my hand is often where a hook keeper would hold a sharp, pointy thing. People who get one of my rods are stuck with what I make!

Tim

penta-spey
Guide

Post by penta-spey »

Stumbled upon this while looking for something else.
It seems more than one person agrees that bamboo will flex more as its used more.

viewtopic.php?p=129922#p129922

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”