Ulmia jack plane

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

samsonboi
Master Guide

Ulmia jack plane

Post by samsonboi »

I have an Ulmia jack plane with lignum vitae sole and was wondering if I should keep it on the original setup (bevel facing down) or reverse the blade so the bevel points up. It seems to be designed to be reversible and I want to pair it with a Lie-Nielsen 9 1/2 and use it for planing cane. Any thoughts?
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Ulmia jack plane

Post by henkverhaar »

Reversible? Does it have an adjustable bed then? In a bevel-down plane, the 'angle of attack' of the blade is dictated by the bed angle - so a plane with a 45° bed has a cutting angle of 45°. In a bevel-up plane, the 'angle of attack' is determined by both bed and blade angle - a standard bevel-up block plane has a 20° bed angle and a 25 or 30 degree blade angle, making for a 45° or 50° cutting angle. If you reverse the blade in a 'standard' plane from bevel down to bevel up, you would get something in the range of a 70-75 degree cutting angle... Unless the bed angle is adjustable. Doesn't sound like a good plan to me to flip the blade

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

Yes, when the blade is flipped it has a pretty high cutting angle. Maybe not that high, but pretty high. I was thinking of using it like a scraper plane, and I tested it on a piece of plywood and it works pretty well, taking off a fine layer without chipping. So what I mean is, will I have good results on bamboo? I figure it might be useful both ways.
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

carl otto
Master Guide

Post by carl otto »

The Ulmia is such a beautiful finish work plane, why would one bastardize it to be used for what it was not intended for? Why not just pick up an older model Stanley scraping plane (there are three sizes)(if that what you need it for) OR there are a couple Lie Nielsen Stanley #212's copies on EBay right now, one already with the bamboo rod groove init.

Carl

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

Well, I figured it could be a multipurpose plane. It doesn't damage it in the slightest to reverse the blade, it just makes a little extra work for me taking off the blade, flipping it around, and putting it back on. Probably don't even need a scraping plane, or I could make one.

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

I was thinking of using it like a scraper plane, and I tested it on a piece of plywood and it works pretty well,
SB quit trolling the forum, keep it up and you'll be ignored. You know from your shop class plywood is no test for a scraper plane. The wooden Ulmia's are nice tools, get busy and rough out some triangles

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

I didn't take shop. What I know about tools, I learned from experimentation, through research, or through my stepdad.

I also tested it on a piece of pine and a piece of maple after posting. It works well. I am not trolling the forum.

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

Also I am waiting for cane, so can't rough out any triangles. There will be some cane coming with the forms (I got a great deal, 500 plus shipping for: Bellinger form, binder, depth gauge, and some unknown brand calipers and other random tools, plus some cane.) A couple kind forum members have offered to help me along on the learning curve.

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”