Saving silk when resetting ferrule - how to reinstall

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Saving silk when resetting ferrule - how to reinstall

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Hi all,

I had to reset a clicking ferrule on a rod and cut through the thread so that I could hopefully rewind after the reset, which is now done. The question that I have is how do people who have done this before me keep the silk tight? Superglue? Tacky varnish? I have about 2" of thread on a mid, so perhaps 4 or 5 winds that came undone. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Joe

tapermaker
Master Guide

Re: Saving silk when resetting ferrule - how to reinstall

Post by tapermaker »

make a loop ,wind the 5 rotations and pull it and the loop through the new windings . clip off remainder and color preserve and finish to match. done

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Okay, so wind just like I would finish a wrap and don't worry that I may not have any excess to deal with. I'll give that a try. Thank you.

tapermaker
Master Guide

Post by tapermaker »

I add a trim wrap over the crack if it fits into the scheme of the rod okay .if not cp old thread end and wrap a white thread 8to ten wraps then forgo the cp and varnish .it will seal and disappear the cut at the ferrule to cane transition cut.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Great suggestion on the white wrap! I'll post before and after photos.

Stay well,
Joe

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”