color preserving dark wraps

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

tunafart
Master Guide

color preserving dark wraps

Post by tunafart »

Hi fellas -
I've got a good quarantine project going, a 'neo'-era Heddon #17 Black Beauty, that needs new wraps and tipping all 'round.
The iconic black wraps and yellow-orange tipping. Size 'A', BC & YLI silk thread.
Question for y'all:
If Heddon used color preserver on many rod models wrapped bright, and I believe they did,
did they also apply CP on the jet black threads of Model #17??
The ones removed, and other #17s I have handled, always had that 'bottomless-pit'-look to the main wraps.
My choice, but also taking suggestions for CP, would be orange shellac on the tipping,
but what about the main black wraps??

thanks
paul
charleston sc

Proofflyfishing
Guide

Re: color preserving dark wraps

Post by Proofflyfishing »

Generally you don't need to use CP on black wraps, but if you want the orange trim bands to stand out I would just CP the entire wrap (black and orange). That way you can trap the tag end of the orange trim band under the main wrap instead of doing a 4-6 turn tipping that could come loose when applying CP.
http://www.proofflyfishing.com
Tutorials, cork, reel seats, Snake Brand guides, agate guides...

EastslopesTH
Master Guide

Post by EastslopesTH »

I just CP the entire wrap too on Heddon #17's. For tipping I used YLI 100wt #216 Orange CP'd with Al's color rite silk CP.

tunafart
Master Guide

Post by tunafart »

Thanks for the tips.
Logical & practical.
I have CP’d black tips before on bright main wraps
but not as main wraps themselves.
Thanks
Paul

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”