Re: Sully's Rod Wrapper

This board is for discussing the repair and restoration of bamboo fly rods, makers discussion and construction techniques relating to same. Examples would be different techniques or methods used by restorationists and makers.

Moderator: Titelines

TSPEYFLY
Master Guide

Post by TSPEYFLY »

Hello
Can't find any website on line for the Sully's rod Wrapper.
Don't know if they are out of business.
If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.
Also, If anybody has one they would sell, shoot me a note.
Thank's
Thomas

OldCane
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Re: Sully's Rod Wrapper

Post by OldCane »

I don't have a PhD, but I do have a DD214.

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

There are some videos on youtube...or used to be.

bmwmoa67707
Master Guide

Post by bmwmoa67707 »

3 or 4 years ago, I talked to Doug Hall, who I believe has the rights to the Sully Wrapper, and he told me they would at some point be back in production, but had no idea about the time frame. So, I just made up a couple of them from photos of the original. The ones I made were of hard maple (scraps left over from another project) and quite a bit larger and heavier than the originals. Made a few changes also. One of the most difficult parts of the process was finding the right size music wire to use and getting the bends in it satisfactorily.
Made one for myself and one for a good friend. NOT going to make any more.....

Doug called me one day a year or two ago, and said he had them available again, but since I made my own, didn't need another. Lost my contact info for Doug, but am sure it's out there somewhere. If you feel like making one, I can text you some pictures taken as I built them.
Steve

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

I have a JW rod wrapper it is excellent. Costs more though. A potential option.

fragmentum
Master Guide

Re: Re: Sully's Rod Wrapper

Post by fragmentum »

I spoke with Doug Hall about the availability of the Sully wrapper until I was blue in the face. Never got anywhere with that device, although I did get several photos and advice from bmwmoa67707 on how to build one. Moved on to other devices that have worked well for me since then...

Return to “Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods.”